Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General life issues

• 23-06-2017 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello all! I'm a 20 years of age and currently in college studying computer systems management, recently I have had problems that have made me question myself

Firstly it's got to do with my family, I feel like they like to gang up on me and threat me like a child, for example making sly remarks on how I am doing nothing to support the family that I am lazy etc, mother telling me what I can and what I can't do, for example not allowing me to spend my own money that I earned, making me change cloths etc which in my opinion is stupid and is unfair, I feel like I'm the outcast of the family due to my older brothers and sisters moving on with there life being married and so on

Another issue is job hunting, in the past I had jobs as a valitor and a service advisor at a garage, but even with that experience I can't find a job anywhere!! Which again is causing problems with my family.
    My friends all around me are getting jobs left right and Centre and it's really downgrading,

Everything rolled up, I just feel like I'm doing nothing and making no one happy, when I think about it, it worries me and causes me to stress, I tried talking to my family about it but there old fashioned and started to laugh and telling me to grow up, I just don't know what to do or think,
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

First up, i hope you are enjoying the computer systems management course. There are more and more vacancies in this area, and its a good choice from an employment perspective.

Getting a job, summer part time etc, is a matter of luck and perseverance. don't get discouraged when you get no replies etc. Just keep trying. Have you signed up for the job alerts on irish jobs? have you got a bunch of cv's ready to go? always have a couple of cvs in a folder in your backpack, when your heading out.

If you feel they treat you like a child your best bet is to show them you are not. Try to be as independant as possible. Does mammy still make your dinner and do your washing? do you clean your own room and help around the house as much as possible? This time of year you can be out cutting the grass every second week. see can you help out with shopping, cleaning etc.

an self sufficient person can do all their own chores and help out at household chores too.

And when you are applying for jobs let your family know you are trying. if they know your applying for 10-20 jobs a week, they won't assume you're lazy.

Its a pity you cannot talk to someone in your family about your concerns, but perhaps a member of your extended family would be available to talk with, seek advice from etc? EG Aunt Uncle etc.

one thing i picked up on in your post was the comment
    mother telling me what I can and what I can't do, for example not allowing me to spend my own money that I earned, making me change cloths etc which in my opinion is stupid and is unfair
    You come across quite childish here.

Can you examine the situation from your parents perspective, ie put yourself into their shoes. If your not only living under their roof, but being subsidised through college too, (im making some assumptions here) then perhaps you can accept they feel they have a say in how you spend any savings? i think thats reasonable.

Should you have to be told when you change your clothes? should you not be changing them before your told? Again if your letting mum wash your clothes etc, then her having a say is not unreasonable.

good luck

Advertisement