Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage move provider / overpayment opinions

• 23-06-2017 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this is repeating other threads.

I have €105,000 left on my mortgage (<50%) based on current value. Rate 3.65% variable with BOI, maturity December 2032 (15.5 years). I was looking at rate of 3% with KBC with a saving of approx. €35 pm. I was also looking to overpay by approx. €500 pm to reduce term by 7.25 years/ saving €16k interest.

Any thoughts on benefit/cost of moving mortgage and any thoughts on overpayment.

many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

The term below is over 16 years not 15.5

Below is graph if you overpay for 500 per month

KBC 3% 105,000 (Overpayment)
    Repayment: 689+500=1189
    Term: 8yrs 4mths
    Term reduction: 7yrs 8mths
    Total interest paid: 13,785
    Total repayable: 118,785

BOI 3.65% (Overpayment)
    Repayment: 722+500=1,222
    Term: 8yrs 4months
    Term reduction: 7yrs 8months
    Total interest: 16,877
    Total repayable: 121,877

Below is a graph if you don't make any overpayments

KBC 3% 105,000
    Repayment: 689
    Term: 16yrs
    Total interest: 27,337
    Total repayable: 132,337

BOI 3.65%
    Repayment: 722
    Term: 16yrs
    Total interest: 33,782
    Total repayable: 138,782

So if you switch and make overpayments every month you will save 3,088 off term of your mortgage

If you switch and don't make any overpayments you save 6,445 over the term of mortgage

(Providing KBC will always be better than BOI by .65%)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Thanks that sounds right. However I think you mean if I switch and overpay I'll save 20k against just switching which will save 3k

Is a 3k saving worth switching for given legal costs and valuation?

Thanks that sounds right. However I think you mean if I switch and overpay I'll save 20k against just switching which will save 3k

Is a 3k saving worth switching for given legal costs and valuation?

No you can't look at it that way that your saving 20k by switching and making a extra payment of 500per month

You have to look at it if you stay with BOI and pay the extra 500 per month also to even the situation and your true saving is 3,088

The most you can possibly save by switching is 6,445 over 16 years with no extra payments made.

When switching KBC will cover legal costs and valuation at least they have a switcher deal

But is it worth switching I dunno, if your gonna make your overpayments when you switch you could just make the overpayment with BOI the saving is only 3,088 over the near 8 yes it isn't a big difference .

You need to just decide who you think will be the better bank and who will pass on interest rate reductions (unlikely) or who will up there variable rate in bigger jumps

My 2 cents is ring BOI say your LTV is <50% and you are considering switching to KBC as they will give you rate of 3%

They might offer you a better rate , they may not but that would be first port of call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

KBC will give you 3k cash back if you switch to them up to 30th September but more than likely will retain until end of year. this will more than cover your legal and valuation fees. Legal Fees to switch should be circa 1k and valuation fee €150.

I would ask KBC if you moved to them and decided in 2 years time to fix would they offer you the same rates they offer new customers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement