Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a tv online

• 23-06-2017 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

So we're finally jumping into the SmartTV world from a CRT TV one. :D

We're looking to buy online and LG/Samsung have been highly recommended.
    We took a trip to a physical shop to get an idea of how a big 40"/43"/49" etc. tv is and to gauge picture quality.

We were taken with the SONY Bravia range. But other tv's like LG were quite pixelated or appeared over sharpened. Actually, it was surprising the difference between the tv's that had a similar spec - 4K UHD, etc.

We thought that it might be the different media each tv was playing. Each manufacturer had a different movie playing, so it was difficult to compare as there was no common image/movie. It's hard to know if each manufacturer provides the best for their tv and the same image would look poor on a competitor.

Anyway... the question is - take a chance and buy on line or play it safe and buy what you can see?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I'm in the same boat at the moment, I think online is where the value is but it would be a trade of for customer support if there's a problem, but I guess we buy online all the time, it's just the size of the purchase that puts me off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Might be worth checking out the talk to... Richer Sounds Ireland thread. http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1105

Many people have bought TVs off them. They're based in Belfast, but deliver to ROI. They will match any price you can find. Often have pretty good sales available too. They're well trusted here on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I wouldn't make a purchasing decision based on what I see in the showroom. As the OP has discovered, they can play different DVDs on each TV (or the same movie on all the TVs - their choice) so the one that looks best on the day is most likely the one they want you to buy.

In general terms, I'd lean towards LG or Samsung. Sony tends to be a bit more pricey for the same product. Read the online reviews to make a decision and if you are buying in a retail store, have your research before when you walk in the door - do not rely on anything the salespeople tell you. All they care about is shifting specific models which gives them the best commission, their interests and yours seldom coincide.

Advertisement