Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chopping sausages

Options
  • 23-06-2017 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Whenever I need to slice steak nice and thin, I pop it in the freezer for 30 mins, works like a charm. But would it work equally for all types of meat? I'm making something this weekend that requires sliced sausage meat. I've made in the past and end up with misshapen lumps of meat :D. If I popped them (skinless?) into the freezer, would it have the same effect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought skinless would work well without even freezing. I presume it was regular ones you sliced before and ended up with a mess.

What is the recipe, are you sure it is asking for typical Irish sausages?

Hot dogs could be sliced up and would likely retain their shape well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think the only way you could slice sausages and retain their shape would be to cook them first and then slice them, but it might not suit your recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Sliced raw sausage will just fall apart in most recipes , even slices of cooked sausage wouldn't work in a lot of recipe ... a lot of recipes use the likes chorizo or pepperoni as they are already cooked and are firm..some German type sausages are a lot firmer as well...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i guess it depends on the sausage and what you need it for.

Pork sausage is something I tend to defrost fully and cut with a scissors into bite size chunks. Vegetarian sausage I partially defrost and slice with a good knife, which works well for nice slanty cuts of sausage,

i'm not sure you can get the nice slivers of standard pork sausage, but something a bit more meaty (ie. not a normal irish breakfast sausage), you might have more luck with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Technically, the recipe calls for chorizo, but I've never successfully found it in my local Tesco when needed, so I switched to one of their Tesco finest sausages varieties a while ago. Maybe I just need to look a bit more, find something more suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

corblimey wrote: »
    Technically, the recipe calls for chorizo, but I've never successfully found it in my local Tesco when needed, so I switched to one of their Tesco finest sausages varieties a while ago. Maybe I just need to look a bit more, find something more suitable.

Aldi or Lidl have chorizo both whole and sliced

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

corblimey wrote: »
    It really would have helped if you put that in your first post instead of the usual vague issue with only half the info.

The posters on this forum are always delighted to help. Give them the respect they are due & give them as much info as possible about the background to your queries. You'll get your answers a lot quicker too.

Advertisement