Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on freezing food??

Options
  • 23-06-2017 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

I cooked spaghetti bolognese last night enough for 3 dinners. I ate one portion and then put the other two portions into tubs which i put in the fridge.

How long can they be left in fridge before moving to freezer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you were always planning on freezing them it should be done ASAP.

It is not advisable to put hot things in the fridge or freezer. I put mine in tubs or jars and leave them outside to cool down in the breeze, or else sit them in a bowl of cold water. If its a glass jar you have to be careful as suddenly plunging it in cold water can crack the glass. If putting stuff in the fridge which is still a little warm I keep it away from any very perishable foods, you do not want it warming up its neighbour.

No food safety discussion is allowed so do not expect people to say its OK in the fridge for up to X days.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, next time what you should do is put those tubs on a cooling tray in an airy (ventilated) spot and when they reach room temperature, put them straight in the freezer. Make sure that they're not still warm when you put them into the freezer or there's a danger that it will cause existing frozen food to partially defrost.

Anything that you do put in the fridge will reach fridge temperature within an hour or so but I wouldn't bother using the fridge as a halfway house.

Advertisement