Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modified Exhausts and Insurance?

• 23-06-2017 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

I see a lot of bikes on Done deal with what look like modded exhausts. I'm aware from another thread here that this might have an impact on insurance (didnt want to spoilt that thread). Ill be buying my first bike soon (600cc - A learner) and I don't want to get something and then find I cant get insured on it because of a mod exhaust, are there certain types that are, for want of a better word permitted? Are there some to be avoided, any guidance appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

In my experience an end can does not affect premium as it doesn't affect performance (I've declared mine with Liberty, Principal, CN)

Full system would make a difference but I'd say very few exhaust mods you're looking at are full systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have a Yoshi can on my GSX, it was on it when I bought it and I told the insurance about it when asked, anyone who doesnt is mad IMHO. Insurance companies are only looking for a way to get out of a claim and this is one very good get out of paying "FREE" card.

It did not affect my insurance what so ever but I told them and its on my policy. TBH, even if not asked I would say I have a different exhaust to the default to cover myself.

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    In my experience an end can does not affect premium as it doesn't affect performance (I've declared mine with Liberty, Principal, CN)

Full system would make a difference but I'd say very few exhaust mods you're looking at are full systems.

In fairness it does affect performance, how much depends on the bike and the can....even if not a full system my end can is about half the weight of the stock can. I have both of them and I cant believe the weight of the original, so the weight loss alone makes the bike faster.

But I agree, generally the premium doesnt change.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

Thanks lads, appreciate the info, sorry to be a pain in the arse but can you clarify "full system" for me, is this some kind of rework on the engine side too?

Thanks lads, appreciate the info, sorry to be a pain in the arse but can you clarify "full system" for me, is this some kind of rework on the engine side too?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

End can = just the slip on silencer at the end of the exhaust pipework.
    Full system = all pipework from the engine back. This would include any pipes and intermediate collector boxes, silencers, cats etc.

A legal end can is unlikely to give much gain, other than weight savings, but a full system change can do.

Understood, thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

My insurance were more worries at the replacement cost of my aftermarket exhaust than it's performance implications.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

I was literally told by the guy at cornmarket, we do not give a crap what you do to the bike once you don't change the engine. Phone call was recorded so fine.

This was when I declared all the mods , even small ones.

• Advertisement

Declared it to Axa on my last bike when I installed the akras, they didn't care at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

When renewing with CN i tried to explain to them the mods on my bike. AIS blocked, airbox cut, velocity stacks.... the list goes on! I explained that overall bike performance is massively increased so he stuck me on hold for a good 10 mins then came back and said as long as the CC of the engine isnt increased it doesnt matter..... I did push it and explained the BHP has increased and he insisted unless the CC increased they didnt care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

goodlad wrote: »
    he insisted unless the CC increased they didnt care.
    <starts researching turbo kits>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In fairness it does affect performance, how much depends on the bike and the can....even if not a full system my end can is about half the weight of the stock can. I have both of them and I cant believe the weight of the original, so the weight loss alone makes the bike faster.

But I agree, generally the premium doesnt change.

I had the same discussion a few years ago when renewing. The person said that the can was lighter so increased performance, I said that if I lost 20kg it would have a bigger impact and would they need to know that. Unsurprisingly I didn't get an answer.

Bikes are generally seen as high performance by insurers, akin to a rocketship vs a slightly faster rocket ship, their main issue is not so much performance as replacement value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I declared the aftermarket cans on my FZ6 to Principal and they were fine with it.

But the key thing here is that "YOU DECLARED IT", its the fact that if you "DONT" they have you by the balls when the time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You'll be fine with a modded exhaust, it won't impact your quote or claim.... unless you make a claim to replace said aftermarket exhaust which isn't covered.

Thanks for the solid steer you lot, advice was spot on, the modded can was not an issue at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I was asked if it was for performance or cosmetic, i told them it was an upgrade as my original kept breaking, weak point of ER6's, they said grand and put it down as cosmetic and I didn't question anymore.

It sounds like they are making a distinction between the 2 but won't all aftermarkets add at least some small performance increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

some with their baffles installed decrease performance

Wossack wrote: »
    some with their baffles installed decrease performance

Some without their baffles can too.

Advertisement