Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lively areas to live?

Options
  • 23-06-2017 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am moving to Cork for a job and I have only been to the city a couple of times. I was there last weekend to check it out but its big enough and I didn't get enough time to scope it all out really.

I will be working in Mahon but I would like to live in a lively area with young people. Whereabouts would you recommend? There seems to be a lot of nice housing around the college. One of my friends lives in Bishopstown but it does seem considerably quiet and suburban. I will be searching for a house share as that is the best way to start to meet people. I don't have a car yet but I do imagine I will have one soon, so you can presume I will drive if needs be.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Douglas is suburban and has a lively centre with shops, restaurants and bars and is also close to Mahon.
    Other than that I would suggest the city centre.Areas like Barrack Street or The Lough have a bit of buzz around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Anywhere north of the river is lively. On the south of the river its more quiet and civilized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Anywhere north of the river is lively. On the south of the river its more quiet and civilized.

I live in the Northside and have no issues with the area at all.

I work down in Mahon and before they moved the 202 stop to inside the Mahon point not a hope in hell would i stand by the halting site waiting for a bus the area around Mahon is way way worse then many areas on the northside.

A idea for a place to live would be any where on the 202 route on the northside that is not Knockhaney or hollyhill. You be less then a 15 min walk to the city the bus is every 10 mins to the city.

But with every area there is good and bad areas on both sides of the city ......

Another area to try is get a apartment around the city centre but you would need at lest 500 plus for this but it pays for its self in the long run if you plan on heading out drinking once or twice a week when you add in taxi prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bonzzy

Knocknaheeney is lovely nice for a stroll at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Douglas sounds right up your street!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Douglas does sound like a good option, but I don't think it has a direct bus connection, which may be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

If by lively you mean nightlife I would either go city centre or walkable to it while near the route to mahon so kind of between ashton school, our lady of lourdes school and the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Douglas does sound like a good option, but I don't think it has a direct bus connection, which may be an issue

There's the orbital route 219 which goes between Douglas & Mahon alright, but it only runs until 6/7pm mon-fri. So not great for shift working if that is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

Douglas all day long . Lived there for 3 years best area of cork

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bonzzy

Besides Willow Park,Glencurrig and Greenhills Douglas is a very nice spot indeed.Avoid the mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I live in the city (North Mall area) and really like it. You're pretty much in town and lots of good pubs around the area. 202 bus stop to Mahon is on Patrick's quay/Cathedral road so not too far.

Actually anywhere around Shandon (popes quay, north mall, cathedral road, blackpool) tends to be cheaper than usual. Handy for bus to Mahon. Northside technically but I've never had any trouble in these spots.

Douglas wouldn't be for me personally. To suburban. But many people love it. Nightmare for traffic!

Blackrock/Ballintemple are both lovely areas that are close to Mahon. Don't know would I say lively though. Just a nice part of the city! Expensive.

Also worth checking out Douglas street, evergreen street, turners cross. All pretty much in the city and lovely. I'd avoid Barrack Street and college road as they can be full of students.

Bishoptown and Ballincollig are very suberban. More family orientated areas. Not very lively. Unless you count the CIT students in Bishopstown... You're a good bit out from the city. Especially in Ballincollig. Expensive for taxis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Never understood the obsession with Douglas. The traffics a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

op I am from your neck of the woods - Celbridge - been in Cork 11 years - you really need to live in somewhere like Douglas - I lived in Glanmire for 3 years when in Cork first - then moved to Douglas - totally changed my opinion of Cork - you are used to living in a lively place so you need to move somewhere else lively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

City centre is the liveliest by a mile. There are loads of apartments around, food, music, pubs all on your doorstep and a bus every 15 mins to Mahon. Is there a budget here?

Opera Lane apartments are stunning, it's just off patrick's street, but prices are up around 1800 - 2k per month. The Elysian are the best in the city, but 3k a month might be out of your price range?

South main street, south terrace, north gate, Shandon street, barracks street, Washington street, georges quay has trinity court... nice spot, much less expensive. All great for feeling central, especially if you don't have parking hindering you.

Douglas? Sure, grand, I like douglas, but you'll need a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

It depends on what you mean by lively.

If it’s an area with a lively town centre that has decent selection of pubs, restaurants etc, then Douglas is realistically your best and only option.

If it’s somewhere with a high concentration of young people living there (students , nurses etc), then areas like Wilton, Bishopstown, College Road, The Lough etc are your main choices. The problem with these places is that they’re as dull as dishwater and are a bit of a trek to the city (Lough and College Road not as much).

IMO your best bet is an area that’s walkable to both the city centre and your bus route to Mahon. Somewhere like Old Blackrock Road or Boreenmana Road could be your best options. No more than 15 min walk to city centre and less to your bus stop to Mahon. There’s plenty of decent apartment blocks on both roads with a high concentration of young people (20’s, 30’s) renting. There are also a couple of decent spots close by for food/drink - Salt/Paddy the Farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Another area to try is get a apartment around the city centre but you would need at lest 500 plus for this...

Unless you're talking about sharing an apartment, you wouldn't get a shed for €500/month anywhere in the city these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Another area to try is get a apartment around the city centre but you would need at lest 500 plus for this...

Unless you're talking about sharing an apartment, you wouldn't get a shed for €500/month anywhere in the city these days.
    I assumed he meant €500 a week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

pwurple wrote: »
    Douglas? Sure, grand, I like douglas, but you'll need a car.

That is not necessarily true. There is a good bus service and if working in Mahon, it is only a quick cycle out the Rochestown Road and along the old railway line to Mahon. All flat also depending on what part of Douglas you live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think the two options are the city center and Douglas. Realistically I will be getting a car soon so the commute shouldn't be too much of a problem. Actually finding a nice houseshare may be a much more difficult endeavor though..

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I think Ballinlough is good option. walking distance to both Douglas and City and on bus route to Mahon.

I'd live in City Centre in an apartment though. You'll enjoy life most living in the city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement