Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returned Emigrants feedback

Options
  • 23-06-2017 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I just wondered how returned emigrants have fared out in being back in Ireland? I did 5 months after being 8 years away. As a single thirtysomething, I found it too frustrating and left again.

The main reasons were the lack of opportunities, expense of everything, and if I'm honest, lack of romantic opportunities.
    Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'll be home a year in two weeks. Frightening when you think about it.

I am actually surprised at how smoothly the move has gone. I managed to bag a job literally four days before I returned, in a similar industry, and it has gone well. I was also fortunate enough to have held on to my house while away, so that made things a lot less complicated.

I don't miss the old life at all, so I think that helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

I'm back 10 months now after been away for over 5 years. It took me a while to adjust but doing ok now. Still miss my old life the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Home now two years, was away for nearly six. I never really settled in Australia to be honest, I never got over the home sickness. Glad I gave it a good go though.

I found it very expensive moving back, more than I'd anticipated. Car insurance caught me totally off guard, and the pay here isn't as good as there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Home now two years, was away for nearly six. I never really settled in Australia to be honest, I never got over the home sickness. Glad I gave it a good go though.

I found it very expensive moving back, more than I'd anticipated. Car insurance caught me totally off guard, and the pay here isn't as good as there.

I felt the same about Oz, it was nice but never really settled in. Ireland is mega expensive. With low salaries, its hard to save money.

David6330 wrote: »
    I'm back 10 months now after been away for over 5 years. It took me a while to adjust but doing ok now. Still miss my old life the odd time.

Fair play, I lasted 5 months in Ireland, but couldn't stick it so moved back to London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

How many romantic opportunities did you expect in 5 months?

How many romantic opportunities did you expect in 5 months?

At least one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I have been home in Ireland 6 months. Planning to leave for Canada in September. Not enough opportunities in Ireland. Cannot find decent work.

I have been home in Ireland 6 months. Planning to leave for Canada in September. Not enough opportunities in Ireland. Cannot find decent work.

I found this too. Where were you before the six months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

lufties wrote: »

I lived in the Netherlands for 3 years. Enjoyed it there. Great work life balance but wanted to return home, Had a job to return to but it did not work out.

• Advertisement

I lived in the Netherlands for 3 years. Enjoyed it there. Great work life balance but wanted to return home, Had a job to return to but it did not work out.
    I spent a month in Netherlands, Its Ok but wasn't a major fan of the dutch.

I spent a month in Netherlands, Its Ok but wasn't a major fan of the dutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

So I'm actually based in London now. Thinking of coming back to Dublin but unsure about jobs. I'm probably financially better off here by quite a bit but family and friends and my area back home is pulling me back (although it has been for about 3 years ha).
    Don't know what I'll end up doing really. Think I'll get in touch with a few recruiters.

So I'm actually based in London now. Thinking of coming back to Dublin but unsure about jobs. I'm probably financially better off here by quite a bit but family and friends and my area back home is pulling me back (although it has been for about 3 years ha).
    Don't know what I'll end up doing really. Think I'll get in touch with a few recruiters.

Its all relative, Ireland tends to be a bit cabin feverish, and just really frustrates me generally. Yes my family and friends are there, but they have their own lives, wives, kids etc.
    London for all its faults, offers me a more colourful life than Ireland ever could. Ireland these days is a constant assault on the pocket. Things are bad when you have to move to London to save money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Its all relative, Ireland tends to be a bit cabin feverish, and just really frustrates me generally. Yes my family and friends are there, but they have their own lives, wives, kids etc.
    London for all its faults, offers me a more colourful life than Ireland ever could. Ireland these days is a constant assault on the pocket. Things are bad when you have to move to London to save money!

yeah it is sad when you have to move to london to save money. will you stay in london for good do you think. considered london myself for a bit but ended up in edinburgh, good career move.

zweton wrote: »

yeah it is sad when you have to move to london to save money. will you stay in london for good do you think. considered london myself for a bit but ended up in edinburgh, good career move.

I don't think I'll stay for good, I consider it a short term option. In the meantime I'm waiting for inspiration to identify somewhere that ticks most of my boxes like work opportunities, friends, proximity to home, language, etc..For the moment, London is the best option. One thing for sure is Ireland is completely off the cards.

I lived out the countryside near enough to Cambridge and really liked living there. I could never live in London, but that's me.

The fact houses are so unaffordable/overpriced in the south east (both to rent or buy), it put me off living there long term otherwise I would have stayed on. The heart called for home in the end so made the move. The longer I am back in Ireland, the less I want to go back to the UK.

I found it hard to save any decent money when in the UK. Putting a roof over my head was my biggest expense and I was essentially paying someone else's mortgage. Fair dues if you can save when living in London. A lot of people can't and live paycheck to paycheck

I lived out the countryside near enough to Cambridge and really liked living there. I could never live in London, but that's me.

The fact houses are so unaffordable/overpriced in the south east (both to rent or buy), it put me off living there long term otherwise I would have stayed on. The heart called for home in the end so made the move. The longer I am back in Ireland, the less I want to go back to the UK.

I found it hard to save any decent money when in the UK. Putting a roof over my head was my biggest expense and I was essentially paying someone else's mortgage. Fair dues if you can save when living in London. A lot of people can't and live paycheck to paycheck

Do you think Ireland is less expensive? Dublin is pretty much similar to London for the cost of housing. Also, London have far more opportunities career wise. For me, Ireland was an assault on the pocket, car insurance, bank charges, GP charges , tax bands. The list is endless.

Would you consider Lisbon? Have been looking at it myself recently. Seems appealing, economy doing well also.

zweton wrote: »
    Would you consider Lisbon? Have been looking at it myself recently. Seems appealing, economy doing well also.

I work with guys from Portugal and the wages (in my industry) are horrendous.

Portugal as a retirement option maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

I'm back 3 years after 16 years in the Netherlands, the move back went smoothly enough and I'm close enough to still visit friends a few times a year. Biggest issue was the expense of pretty much everything in Ireland and needing a car after 16 years on a bike. No regrets though.

I'm back 3 years after 16 years in the Netherlands, the move back went smoothly enough and I'm close enough to still visit friends a few times a year. Biggest issue was the expense of pretty much everything in Ireland and needing a car after 16 years on a bike. No regrets though.

Wow, well there is clearly a difference in my priorities, seen as everyone that has replied is happy they moved back.
    I love seeing family, I'm in touch with them daily and will prob see the once every 2-3 months while I live in London.

It feels great to not have to pay 60euro every time you see a GP, that and the fact I'm saving more money.

Do you think Ireland is less expensive? Dublin is pretty much similar to London for the cost of housing. Also, London have far more opportunities career wise. For me, Ireland was an assault on the pocket, car insurance, bank charges, GP charges , tax bands. The list is endless.

Yeah Ireland is more expensive in general.

Rental accomodation in Ireland was cheaper but doubt there is much different in it now if you compare Dublin and London for example. The quality of the housing stock in Ireland is generally better though.

For most other stuff like food, alcohol, running a car etc, the UK is cheaper.

Yeah Ireland is more expensive in general.

Rental accomodation in Ireland was cheaper but doubt there is much different in it now if you compare Dublin and London for example. The quality of the housing stock in Ireland is generally better though.

For most other stuff like food, alcohol, running a car etc, the UK is cheaper.

The quality of housing stock? You must be joking, housing standards in Ireland are awful. I'd much rather own a place in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I'm getting closer and closer to the point of where I won't own a house unless I get some sort of windfall of cash from somewhere...

In Ireland, I wouldn't have a hope.... in the UK, with 5% mortgages and help to buy schemes, I have more chance, but looking at a mortgage to my mid to late 60's

arccosh wrote: »
    I'm getting closer and closer to the point of where I won't own a house unless I get some sort of windfall of cash from somewhere...

In Ireland, I wouldn't have a hope.... in the UK, with 5% mortgages and help to buy schemes, I have more chance, but looking at a mortgage to my mid to late 60's

Where are the 5% mortgages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

** 5% deposit
    most banks have them

Lloyds, Halifax, Natwest all have

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

So OP, according to yourself, Ireland is overpriced and no know wants to give you the ride, The Netherlands is full of people you don't like and Portugal is full of retired geriatrics.

Yes, Ireland is the problems here....................

:rolleyes:

Good luck with your future endeavours.

davo2001 wrote: »
    So OP, according to yourself, Ireland is overpriced and no know wants to give you the ride, The Netherlands is full of people you don't like and Portugal is full of retired geriatrics.

Yes, Ireland is the problems here....................

:rolleyes:

Good luck with your future endeavours.
    Nice snarky comments there. Perhaps I'm just insightful. I lived all over the world and never had a problem romantically. I guess I wasn't interested in 36 year old overweight girls. I never said that I'm Brad Pitt, but I seem to do better outside of Ireland.
    Yes perhaps I'll take a 50% pay cut and live in Portugal. Good Idea!
    The Netherlands is ok, but they are a leftist society predominantly which isn't my thing.
    Hope I cleared that up for you. Twat!

• Advertisement

to be fair the comments are insightful and useful to others who may be looking to move to other places.

Advertisement