Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returned Emigrants feedback

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

lufties wrote: »
    Nice snarky comments there. Perhaps I'm just insightful. I lived all over the world and never had a problem romantically. I guess I wasn't interested in 36 year old overweight girls. I never said that I'm Brad Pitt, but I seem to do better outside of Ireland.
    Yes perhaps I'll take a 50% pay cut and live in Portugal. Good Idea!
    The Netherlands is ok, but they are a leftist society predominantly which isn't my thing.
    Hope I cleared that up for you. Twat!

If you are choosing a place to live on a "hot girl" index maybe try Prague ? :pac: good infrastructure and cheap living, if you can find a decent paying job. :)

Or perhaps Singapore ? It's Asia light, everything works properly, weather is good pretty much all year round, gateway to asia and all that. It's not all as strict as it's made out to be, beer is hella expensive though :D

Or if you can Contract perhaps work somewhere with a high pay and commute ? That's what a few of my mates do, work in London/Zurich/Geneva and live somewhere cheap (Barcelona, Madrid, Porto) if you can work remotely that's a bonus !

Expand your horizons man, learn the local language, invite people out, organise stuff, the locals don't have to invite you to things if you invite them first :)

And you'll never meet someone if you are looking for someone, forget about meeting a girl and go out and have fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

redcup342 wrote: »
    Nice snarky comments there. Perhaps I'm just insightful. I lived all over the world and never had a problem romantically. I guess I wasn't interested in 36 year old overweight girls. I never said that I'm Brad Pitt, but I seem to do better outside of Ireland.
    The Netherlands is ok, but they are a leftist society predominantly which isn't my thing.

If you are choosing a place to live on a "hot girl" index maybe try Prague ? :pac: good infrastructure and cheap living, if you can find a decent paying job. :)

Or perhaps Singapore ? It's Asia light, everything works properly, weather is good pretty much all year round, gateway to asia and all that. It's not all as strict as it's made out to be, beer is hella expensive though :D

Or if you can Contract perhaps work somewhere with a high pay and commute ? That's what a few of my mates do, work in London/Zurich/Geneva and live somewhere cheap (Barcelona, Madrid, Porto) if you can work remotely that's a bonus !

Expand your horizons man, learn the local language, invite people out, organise stuff, the locals don't have to invite you to things if you invite them first :)

And you'll never meet someone if you are looking for someone, forget about meeting a girl and go out and have fun :D

Yeah cheers for the advice. Tbh I'm happy in London for the moment. I can focus on my studies,career, social life, and fitness. I'd be afraid to live somewhere like Prague, work your bollocks off for peanuts.

Trust me, I work with Czechs, Bulgarians, Italians, Spanish, portoguese, Greeks etc. If they could live at home they would. The last place they want to be is in London away from their families.

Best solution for hot girl index, the odd trip to eastern Europe throughout the year :) I read a statistic recently that 80% of women here to for the top 20% of men. London dating can be very difficult, female hypergamy only cares about wealth and status,which leaves slim pickings from the ordinary fella :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I want to get out of Ireland. Italy or Spain. I don't care about the money. It's about the quality of life, and the lack of a summer here. I've had enough. Used to live in Rome. I wouldn't go back there, but to Italy, yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

seachto7 wrote: »
    I want to get out of Ireland. Italy or Spain. I don't care about the money. It's about the quality of life, and the lack of a summer here. I've had enough. Used to live in Rome. I wouldn't go back there, but to Italy, yep.

I'm a little confused by this. Spain and Italy are amount the lowest for standards of living in the EU. Maybe you enjoy the sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Wow, well there is clearly a difference in my priorities, seen as everyone that has replied is happy they moved back.
    I love seeing family, I'm in touch with them daily and will prob see the once every 2-3 months while I live in London.

It feels great to not have to pay 60euro every time you see a GP, that and the fact I'm saving more money.
    :confused: How many times do you go to a GP in a year, seems like an odd deciding factor and a strange thing to say

• Advertisement

:confused: How many times do you go to a GP in a year, seems like an odd deciding factor and a strange thing to say

Try paying $1,600 a month for health insurance in the US. Having been around, I would say that Ireland would be in the top 10 in the world for health care. If you don't like the public healthcare, get a job and use private or just visit a private hospital and it's still relatively cheap in comparison. The issue is, that people compare Ireland to the UK which has one of the cheapest systems in the world!! Irish people love to compare to the worlds best and expect Ireland to be No.1 at everything while they pay no tax, and won't even mow their lawn.

Board.surf wrote: »
    Try paying $1,600 a month for health insurance in the US. Having been around, I would say that Ireland would be in the top 10 in the world for health care. If you don't like the public healthcare, get a job and use private or just visit a private hospital and it's still relatively cheap in comparison. The issue is, that people compare Ireland to the UK which has one of the cheapest systems in the world!! Irish people love to compare to the worlds best and expect Ireland to be No.1 at everything while they pay no tax, and won't even mow their lawn.

I absolutely agree, my son broke his wrist a couple of weeks ago, he broke it in school at 2PM and was in and out of A&E,X-Ray and had his cast on and on his way home by 4.30PM. He has had 2 checkups since then and will have 1 more in 3 weeks time to take the cast off.

All for the princely sum of €100 (this was actually paid for by the school insurance which cost us €10 for the year)

TBH this thread appears to be just another Irish immigrant Ireland bashing thread by the OP

I'm a little confused by this. Spain and Italy are amount the lowest for standards of living in the EU. Maybe you enjoy the sun?

Yep. I do enjoy the sun. I would prefer the med lifestyle long term.

The quality of housing stock? You must be joking, housing standards in Ireland are awful. I'd much rather own a place in England.

Houses in Ireland and England are both awful! Radiators! Crappy boiler systems, no insulation etc. Rentals are the worst. It's like as if landlords think they will get a decent tennant who will upkeep the place, by handing them the keys to a steaming pile of ****z. And the mold!! Don't even get me started. These issues are the worse in Ireland. It's all housing related. People/ landlords won't put in a clothes dryer, so they dry their clothes inside which causes mold and then they wonder why their houses smell, are rotting and have plaster issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

I returned a year ago from 3 years in London. To be honest, I figured the grass was always greener at home, but I was totally wrong. I was happier in London. Quality of life was better, more to do, totally free healthcare, excellent public transport. Life just felt more alive. I came back to rural Ireland because I have family/friends/a partner here but its so quiet and small in comparison. Even though its just as expensive as London, the quality of life isnt great, there's very little to do, im paying 60e for a GP again and job prospects are meh.

• Advertisement

Afroshack wrote: »
    I returned a year ago from 3 years in London. To be honest, I figured the grass was always greener at home, but I was totally wrong. I was happier in London. Quality of life was better, more to do, totally free healthcare, excellent public transport. Life just felt more alive. I came back to rural Ireland because I have family/friends/a partner here but its so quiet and small in comparison. Even though its just as expensive as London, the quality of life isnt great, there's very little to do, im paying 60e for a GP again and job prospects are meh.

Do you expect excellent public transport and have good job prospects in Rural Ireland :confused:

Move to city for that

Do you expect excellent public transport and have good job prospects in Rural Ireland :confused:

Move to city for that

If I am paying the same price as living in London, then yeah to an extent I do.

In fairness, you can't compare London to rural anywhere! Rural Ireland, compared to most rural places is quite accessible and nice. Then Dublin as cities goes is quite nice. London, being the 2nd largest city in the world, might be an unfair comparison to anywhere, let alone, a quiet rural place. :eek:

The obsession with the GP fee is unreal. Get a GP card. Also, it won't be free for long in London. Also, you couldn't POSSIBLY be paying the same price as in London!! Rent in London is monstrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

In fairness, you can't compare London to rural anywhere! Rural Ireland, compared to most rural places is quite accessible and nice. Then Dublin as cities goes is quite nice. London, being the 2nd largest city in the world, might be an unfair comparison to anywhere, let alone, a quiet rural place. :eek:

The obsession with the GP fee is unreal. Get a GP card. Also, it won't be free for long in London.

I didn't say I wanted rural Ireland to be like London, I'm pointing out that the 1,200 pounds I spent on an apartment in London equates to a small apartment in the commuter-belt zone in a rural area (think Athy, Athlone etc.) Like, I'm paying the same for a substandard quality of life. That's all.

Also, I'm not obsessed with GP fees and I don't qualify for a card.

I didn't say I wanted rural Ireland to be like London, I'm pointing out that the 1,200 pounds I spent on an apartment in London equates to a small apartment in the commuter-belt zone in a rural area (think Athy, Athlone etc.) Like, I'm paying the same for a substandard quality of life. That's all.

2 bed apartments in Athlone go for around €800 a month so don't get you point there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

why in the world anyone would prefer London to ANYWHERE in the world is beyond me. it's a soulless kip full of worker-zombies who dont have ANY time for themselves, or anything else. worked like slaves, paid good money for it yeah, but it's not worth it. it's also becoming a ridiculous place for terrorist attacks and general disasters - always was i suppose, but still it's a grim awful place - and the "buzz" you said exists there, isnt real. it's hype - most londoners are dead inside and hate the city it has become.

i'd take a shed in longford over living in London anyday! total utter kip.

the baghdad of europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Lived in London for 20 years, left as a 20 year old in 1995 returned in 2014

London is great when your young and single, plenty of places to go out pubs/clubs/theater's/museum's etc all easy to get to because of the great public transport ( except rush hour ) I have to agree with one of the other posters its much easier to pull over there as well, mainly to do I think that most people live there away from family so can get up to whatever they want. I wasn't the greatest at school did OK in the leaving, went over tried a couple of jobs before I got work at a well known fashion designers, working in their distribution warehouse. Worked my way up to being a manager on a very decent wage. Met my wife there everything was great. Wife started getting bullied by another manager & his assistant which was allowed by the director. Anyway wife ended up being forced to leave, she sued got a bit of compensation I ended up working for another 6 months there in the same office as the others that bullied her until I had a stress related breakdown, so we returned to Ireland

We are now living in rural Ireland & for the most part loving it, was a bit hard at first as we didnt have a car. Things are expensive here but we shop in Lidl or Aldi, actually better than whats in the same stores in the UK. We are renting a house for half what we were renting a one bed & we now have a large garden :) My wife is working, I worked for a year on TUS was diagnosed with depression so been trying to sort myself out. Although I have well over 10 years of management in a warehouse setting I cannot get a management job as I'm over experienced but under educated. I am in the process of do the back to work enterprise which has been great, I have received so much help & guidance something I'd never get in the UK

All in all we are happy, its nice now not being stuck in the rat race. Hoping that the business gets the OK so I can get busy again.
    Things though havent really changed in Ireland from when I left to coming back. People still vote for the same parties that keep screwing them. The government still does nothing for the youth, amount of scumbags seem to have gotten larger & younger. Less Gardai (unless your a politician stuck in a car ) more crime. More suicide. Still happy to be back though

....... wrote: »

Where the hell have you been going out?[/quote]
    I'm surprised a lot more aren't leaving to be honest

Yet your still single, mmmm :pac:

• Advertisement

Yet your still single, mmmm :pac:
    What has that got to do with anything? You know nothing about me, sounds like your a troll anyway. I'm happy single, lots of money coming in to do the things I want, with my own business on the go.

why in the world anyone would prefer London to ANYWHERE in the world is beyond me. it's a soulless kip full of worker-zombies who dont have ANY time for themselves, or anything else. worked like slaves, paid good money for it yeah, but it's not worth it. it's also becoming a ridiculous place for terrorist attacks and general disasters - always was i suppose, but still it's a grim awful place - and the "buzz" you said exists there, isnt real. it's hype - most londoners are dead inside and hate the city it has become.

i'd take a shed in longford over living in London anyday! total utter kip.

the baghdad of europe
    Totally depends on attitude, I have a great quality of life in London. I work nightshifts but I get good time off to pursue what I want. Its also very diverse so its never a dull moment. Ireland can be mentally stifling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

What has that got to do with anything? You know nothing about me, sounds like your a troll anyway. I'm happy single, lots of money coming in to do the things I want, with my own business on the go.

Really, what about this post from a thread you started last month

"Stuck in a rut?
    Hi,
    Just wondered what advice someone would have for someone who's stuck in a rut in their career.
    I've been an aviation engineer for 17years and am totally and utterly sick of it, tired of crazy shift patterns, autocratic, incompetent management and hazardous environments.
    I know there's no utopia, but I'm doing an MSC due to finish next year, however its becoming evident that I'll be starting at the bottom of the ladder again if I use that particular discipline.

Its quite frustrating, and depressing. I don't know what to do"

Also you have another thread about comparing the UK to Ireland
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057728322

Are you sure your happy, if so then why do you feel the need to constantly compare Ireland to London, are you seeking validation from strangers for your life decisions ?

Athy? A 3 bed house in Athy is 750-1000.I live near there! A one bed flat ranges from 500-600 max and some are much cheaper!! Athy has a train station with regular trains to Dublin and buses too. A similar town in the US or U.K. Would have neither. Why not be realistic here? If you have a point, it's lost because of all your statistical non facts. £1,200 = €1,400. For that much, you'd get a mansion in south Kildare.

V cheap house. 800 in Athy = http://www.daft.ie/kildare/houses-for-rent/athy/barrowhouse-cottage-barrow-house-road-athy-athy-kildare-1753023/

750= http://www.daft.ie/kildare/houses-for-rent/athy/7-offaly-street-athy-kildare-1752660/

950 = http://www.daft.ie/kildare/houses-for-rent/athy/6-sunnyside-lawns-dunbrinn-athy-kildare-1750186/

€1300 in Athlone = http://www.daft.ie/westmeath/houses-for-rent/athlone/moydrum-athlone-westmeath-1744269/

That one in Athlone is some 1 bed flat!! + 100 to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

seachto7 wrote: »

how about lisbon? been reading good things about it.

zweton wrote: »
    how about lisbon? been reading good things about it.

Never thought about it but would never say never.
    I speak Italian and am learning Spanish hence those two.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mod warning: Any more gobsheenery in this thread will lead to mod action. Cop on and remember that this isn't AH.

Advertisement