Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensing a 22 pistol. ..where to start?

Options
  • 23-06-2017 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

As the title says. Where/how do I start?
    I have a .308, a .22 rifle and a 12 gauge already.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Exactly the same way as you apply for a .22 rifle or any other unrestricted firearm. The fact it's a pistol doesn't mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

Exact same as any other firearm. You will need to be a member of a club to satisfy need for the firearm. They will require your membership number and the club/range pulse number for the FAC form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Thing to consider is if you have 3 guns already then you will probably need to Up your security. Might be worth a chat with your FO see what he will expect. It can be a slow enough process without problems so best to have your ducks in a row.

Also note the pistol will be an unrestricted firearm and must have a maximum capacity of 5 rounds in the magazine and they do check the magazines from time to time. Also it has been known they may require a meeting with you even though its a unrestricted firearm. When sending in the application get a letter from the range/club you shoot at and it is also advisable to have your alarm serviced and hand in the cert with the application

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Hack12 wrote: »
    Also note the pistol will be an unrestricted firearm and must have a maximum capacity of 5 rounds in the magazine and they do check the magazines from time to time. Also it has been known they may require a meeting with you even though its a unrestricted firearm. When sending in the application get a letter from the range/club you shoot at and it is also advisable to have your alarm serviced and hand in the cert with the application

I think you are going a bit over the top.

Apply the same as any other unrestricted firearm. You need to have range membership as there is no other just reason for having a pistol.

As this will be you 4th firearm they will want you home alarmed, you don't need it service it just needs to have been installed to the correct standard, ie not one you bought from Woodies.

You don't need any letter from the range just a photocopy of your range membership.

In you cover letter stating the reason you want the pistol, explain you firearm are stored in a safe and the property is alarmed.

If you want to take it to the next level of security then you have the options of the following all which will be seen as a person who think responsibly about firearms ownership

1. Have a separate safe and split your firearm between them
    2. Have you alarm monitored. If you have to upgrade your alarm to be monitored consider GSM monitoring and not landline. If you get more firearms in the future you will need GSM not dont upgrade to landline if upgrading.

• Advertisement

PSXDupe. I am only basing on what was requested from me and the firearms officer advised the alarm must be serviced every two years to strictly conform to the standards. Again it all depends on what is requested by the superintendent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Worth having a chat with your FO is my advice. My FO insisted that I had a separate safe for my pistol. Couldn't even be in the same room as my rifle safe. He also insisted that I had a separate lock box for the ammo for my pistol and rifle (both .22lr) and the lock box had to be stored separately from the two safes. Yet I know lads in different Garda districts that have 4 or 5 guns in one big safe. If you have a chat beforehand it could save a lot of going back and forward with your application. It can be slow enough at the best of times I know my license took six months to come through

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭NASRPC

Licensing a pistol is no different that licensing a shotgun.

Obviously your local Superintendent may require something of you - and if you want it, you have no option but to conform - but as an existing license holder - the heavy lifting has already been done - you are a person who can hold a license.

You can only use it for target shooting - which can simply be plinking in your club - but should you so wish, there are National Shoots all over the island to take part in orthe even the World Cup in MNSCI this July ( visit www.nasrpc.ie and subscribe to the mailing list to be kept informed )

Bottom line is, talk to people in your club - be sure to try as many so you can, to decide what you want.

And once you get your own ... whatever else you do ... enjoy yourself.

NASRPC

Advertisement