Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nepal Itinerary Advice

Options
  • 23-06-2017 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi, I’m travelling to Nepal in March/April 2018 for 12 days and am looking for advice if anyone has been there.
    Specifically I’m wondering should I skip Bandipur to allow an extra day in Pokhara and to do the 5-day Poon Hill trek instead of the 4-day. My planned itinerary is:

Day 1: Arrive around noon to KTM
    Day 2: Kathmandu to Bandipur bus
    Day 3: Bandipur
    Day 4: Bus to Pokhara
    Day 5 Pokhara
    Day 6-9: Ghorepani Poon Hill 4-day trek
    Day 10: Bus to Kathmandu
    Day 11, 12: Kathmandu
    Day 13: Leave Kathmandu

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

68508224 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m travelling to Nepal in March/April 2018 for 12 days and am looking for advice if anyone has been there.
    Specifically I’m wondering should I skip Bandipur to allow an extra day in Pokhara and to do the 5-day Poon Hill trek instead of the 4-day. My planned itinerary is:

Day 1: Arrive around noon to KTM
    Day 2: Kathmandu to Bandipur bus
    Day 3: Bandipur
    Day 4: Bus to Pokhara
    Day 5 Pokhara
    Day 6-9: Ghorepani Poon Hill 4-day trek
    Day 10: Bus to Kathmandu
    Day 11, 12: Kathmandu
    Day 13: Leave Kathmandu

Thanks for any help.

I'd cut the time in Kathmandu, in favour of extra time at pokhara post trek. Lots of great stuff to do (hike from town, boat on the lake, paragliding) - and you are so spoilt for food choices etc

Kathmandu is just another big city for me.

I've hiked Annapurna circuit, but we skipped the last few days so I can't help re Poon hill I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Kathmandu is an amazing city, you have Durbhar Square, the biggest Buddhist stupha in the world and also the largest Hindu temple in the world where you can see cremations etc by the river. There's also the monkey temple. You could definitely spend a day there.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭pjq

Kathmandu is indeed an amazing city, and Bhaktapur and Patan are a short day day trip. You can visit all the main valley sights in a taxi for €30 in 1 day, but you can spend days exploring the markets and food places ( try Tip Top a South Indian family place for lunch or a sweet treat) , all on foot. Pokhara is nice to relax after a hike, but it's ordinary , Kathmandu valley is extraordinary.
    Then the question is why Bandipur? I don't know Bandipur. You will need extra travel time unless the tourist Ktm - Pokhara bus will drop you off, pick up is another matter, a guide at €15/day might simplify. You will see very similar culture on your trek. But maybe you have contacts there.
    You will love the trek , guided or independent, extra trekking or rest days during the trek are easily added.
    PJQ

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

Thanks for the replies guys. Regarding Bandipur I first saw it on a RoughGuides itinerary and then read about it on TA forums. I don't know much about it other than what I've read of it being a laid-back small town. It was actually a late addition to the itinerary so adding it kind of means I'm on a tight schedule. If the scenery/culture is broadly similar to the Poon Hill trek it might be worth leaving out in favour of a more relaxed and less time-conscious trip.

A couple of people I met recently also advised me to visit Kathmandu for a day trip and to stay in Bhaktapur or Patan as travelling to these places from Kathmandu can take a lot of time due to Kathmandu traffic. Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭pjq

I guess that you are travelling and trekking independently, so IMO a straight bus to Pokhara is simplest. If you like some village when trekking , spend an extra day. You don't have to book hotels in advance in April. Ask about Rhododendron forest in bloom when you are there, I've never seen that.
    Kathmandu is a good base , and Kathmandu Durbar is as good as that of Patan and different but not outclassed by Bhaktapur. You don't need to visit (and pay for) all 3. But a taxi for a day €30 will get you easily to monkey temple, stupa, crematorium and Bhaktapur. Stay in Thamel on your first night, have your hotel organise an airport pick-up , on your return you will know if you want a change of location ( too touristy/convenient). Patan is a pleasant 1hr walk through a market area from Thamel. Kathmandu traffic is bad , but the airport is near and distances are reasonable, the city was very dusty in Nov 2016 when I was last there as they dug up all streets to lay new water pipes ( after quake) and lay fibre cable, and they re-surfaced no street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 johnexplo

there are many places to visit  near Kathmandu

Advertisement