Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring the funk

Options
  • 23-06-2017 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭

Dear Musicians,
    I am **** at music, but I do love the idea of being able to play at least something musical... I've had lessons from a friend of mine who is a very talented guitarist, but he was trying to set me up with the basics to allow me build up knowledge & I just found it all to much... I don't generally learn things in the traditional manner. So, I've decided to try to teach myself the basics of just one rhythm line, that I can feel comfortable playing, with enough going on to keep me interested and that (seems) easy enough to get to grips with... Once I've managed that, I can work my way forward into other things.

So, I've chosen to try the guitar line from Shaft. The playing actually seems relatively straight forward, but I'll have to manage a wah at the same time...

Am I mad? It seems doable to me... I'd appreciate any direction or comments.

BTW, I'm also a bit of a product obsessive... Not about owning expensive stuff, but about researching and understand the best tools for the job. I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio (faded version), Marshall Class 5 amp, and have found a good value used Budwah pedal that I'll pick up when I'm home in Ireland next week...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Dear Musicians,
    I am **** at music, but I do love the idea of being able to play at least something musical... I've had lessons from a friend of mine who is a very talented guitarist, but he was trying to set me up with the basics to allow me build up knowledge & I just found it all to much... ]

I fail to see how you can learn an instrument without some knowledge of the basics. :confused: Lots of people would give their right arm to have a talented musician friend give them lessons. If you find doing the ground work "all too much," then you will not progress.. too much. ;)

However, if you feel that you are progressing and are having fun, then I don't see any reason not to continue along that path. It all depends on your goals. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Your approach is.... very unusual.

I hope you thanked your friend profusely for the lessons, which are worth a lot of time and money, and which he was offering for free.

Other than that, Rigsby said it all. What you are doing would be a huge waste of time for me, but you're not me. If doing it this way makes you happy, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Rigsby wrote: »
    I fail to see how you can learn an instrument without some knowledge of the basics. :confused: Lots of people would give their right arm to have a talented musician friend give them lessons. If you find doing the ground work "all too much," then you will not progress.. too much. ;)

However, if you feel that you are progressing and are having fun, then I don't see any reason not to continue along that path. It all depends on your goals. :)

I didn't say I wanted to learn the instrument (as in 'master the instrument') and am aware of my limitations in terms of progression... I want to be able to play at least one thing competently...

I've tried instruments in the past... Did a litany of piano lessons, learned all the scales to a decent level, practiced every day on my granny's piano, but failed to translate that into learning actual songs... My teacher was attempting to equip me with the basics, but without the type of practical implementation I need, it was a barrier rather than as base. What I did learn, was in more natural scenarios learning from friends and my mum in a casual way...

Like I said, I learn differently, so filling my head with cords, technical terms etc makes no sense to me until I can hold the instrument competently and make sense of how to make sounds that sound reasonable... Once I can do that the technical stuff and the basics will come more easily...

I'm no teenager, so my chances of becoming a rock legend are slim... Being able to strum some stuff that sounds good would give me enough enjoyment...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Oink wrote: »

I hope you thanked your friend profusely for the lessons, which are worth a lot of time and money, and which he was offering for free.

Wow, your assumption makes me sound like a skinflint and ungrateful... As you'll learn as you grow up, friendship is a two way street, there's give and take... My friends get lots out of friendship too... Plus I never mentioned free lessons.

It sounds to me like you might get more enjoyment of learning even just 3-4 chords, which you could use to play quite a few songs, and have a bit of varied fun. But if you want to start with Shaft, why not.

• Advertisement

Wow, your assumption makes me sound like a skinflint and ungrateful... As you'll learn as you grow up, friendship is a two way street, there's give and take... My friends get lots out of friendship too... Plus I never mentioned free lessons.

Ok, I will try and learn as I grow up.

All the best.

I didn't say I wanted to learn the instrument (as in 'master the instrument') and am aware of my limitations in terms of progression... I want to be able to play at least one thing competently...

I've tried instruments in the past... Did a litany of piano lessons, learned all the scales to a decent level, practiced every day on my granny's piano, but failed to translate that into learning actual songs... My teacher was attempting to equip me with the basics, but without the type of practical implementation I need, it was a barrier rather than as base. What I did learn, was in more natural scenarios learning from friends and my mum in a casual way...

Like I said, I learn differently, so filling my head with cords, technical terms etc makes no sense to me until I can hold the instrument competently and make sense of how to make sounds that sound reasonable... Once I can do that the technical stuff and the basics will come more easily...

I'm no teenager, so my chances of becoming a rock legend are slim... Being able to strum some stuff that sounds good would give me enough enjoyment...

In your original post you ask for direction or comments. From the above post you seem to have things all worked out for yourself, so I can't see the reason for asking others for advice. :confused: You give the impression of knowing more than your very talented teacher friend. The fact is that people new to learning an instrument don't know where to start. Just because you THINK that X or Y might be the way to go, does not mean that is is.

Everyone learns in their own way, but so say.."filling my head with technical terms makes no sense to me.." well...that makes no sense to me. Technical terms mean nothing to us all AT THE START. This is why it is necessary to put in a bit of time learning some basics. I am not talking virtuoso standard here, just enough to get you by, and to enjoy it. After that, it is up to you to take it as far as you wish. You say you learned other instruments previously but failed to translate this into actual songs. IMO this is down to two things... 1. Lessons or a practice routine that are all over the place. 2. Not putting in enough of the hard graft and time necessary to become any way proficient on an instrument.

Anyone who by their own admission..."is ***** at music.." yet questions the teaching technique of ..(again by their own admission).. a TALENTED musician friend, is IMO akin to a rudderless boat floating aimlessly in choppy waters. ;) Age is no excuse either. I took up the bass guitar at the "tender " age of fifty. I got lessons, learned some basic theory and after a while I played in bands. Where there is a will, there is a way. Granted, you don't want to play in a band, but learning some basic theory is never a waste of time. After all, theory is the building blocks of music, and having a basic knowledge can only help you to both understand and enjoy music.

You have chosen to go it alone and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you achieve....which probably won't be anywhere near as much than if you had stuck with the advice/tips of your musician friend. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Here's the funny thing about this thread - I started pretty much identically to Bluefoam. Didn't have a lesson until I was maybe 5 years into playing. Couldn't learn from my brother, who is a very talented musician. Instead, I went "I'm going to learn how to play that riff from One by Metallica", so I went, got tabs, and learned to play that way. I can't even tell you the notes on the guitar, I couldn't tell you the different between an E minor Phrygian or a C Major Lydian.

Know where to put your fingers, and know when to hit the strings, and you'll make music.

feylya wrote: »
    Know where to put your fingers, and know when to hit the strings, and you'll make music.

I'm sure that no one will argue with that. There are many ways to make music. As I mentioned earlier, it depends on your goals, and what you want out of learning an instrument. Regardless of whether a person is prepared to learn some basic theory or not, and that is entirely their call, the fact remains that doing so will enhance the musical experience.

Also, just to repeat my previous question. If the OP has things sussed already, as seems to be the case, then why the need to ask for advice and direction ? :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Rigsby wrote: »
    I'm sure that no one will argue with that. There are many ways to make music. As I mentioned earlier, it depends on your goals, and what you want out of learning an instrument. Regardless of whether a person is prepared to learn some basic theory or not, and that is entirely their call, the fact remains that doing so will enhance the musical experience.

Don't know how much I would agree with that. Yes, it can be beneficial, but it can also get in the way of just making noise
    Also, just to repeat my previous question. If the OP has things sussed already, as seems to be the case, then why the need to ask for advice and direction ? :confused:

I would imagine it's to make sure he's not going down the completely wrong road with learning how to play.

I must admit, I'm annoyed with some of the replies in this thread. Someone asks for help, and people jump at them, telling them they're wrong. Shame.

• Advertisement

I must admit, I'm annoyed with some of the replies in this thread. Someone asks for help, and people jump at them, telling them they're wrong. Shame.

The guy asked for directions and comments. I gave what I thought was constructive and (to me..at least) genuine comments, because they worked for me. Granted, they may not work for him, but that does not deem them invalid. At no point did I suggest he was wrong. The OP is entitled to take or leave my contribution as he sees fit, as he is entitled to plot his own musical course.

Don't worry, OP put me down a few pegs earlier so that's me told. I won't bother him with my advice again until I'm all growed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

'Sex Machine' by James Brown is quite easy on guitar, if you've good timing, chords are easy anyway.

Advertisement