Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardiac Care in the South East

Options
  • 24-06-2017 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to gauge peoples opinion on this.

In the last number of days we have seen the Clinical Director of St. Luke's come out and say "most" people in Kilkenny already have 24/7 access to Cardiac Care. Now to me, this seems a bit disingenuous, almost like saying the whole of the South East has access to 24/7 cardiac care but then not talking about the time to get that care. 

You probably all know that, to get that care you would have to be transferred to St. James's hospital in Dublin. Now, given the fact that Thomas Power drove himself to the hospital but then died in an ambulance within 30 minutes on the way to Cork, are you happy to be driven in an ambulance 75 minutes to St. James's (keeping in mind potential traffic delays) or would you rather take the 45 minute trip to University Hospital Waterford? keeping in mind the bypass and outer ring road will get you there within 45 minutes if the Quay is busy. I know obviously the 45 minutes is not ideal but when you are literally talking about every minute counting then surely it seems like a no-brainer to get treated in the hospital nearest to where you are?

Also, keep in mind that this is only looking at Kilkenny City which is located in the Mid-North of the county, the further south you go, the closer you get to University Hospital Waterford and further away from St. James's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Was a thread on this a while back...do we need another?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

road_high wrote: »
    Was a thread on this a while back...do we need another?
    Considering recent events, perhaps there is a need!

I don't think so. Why do we need extra threads on the same topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I don't think so. Why do we need extra threads on the same topic?
    As above!
    Such an important issue and the only thing you are concerned about is that theres another thread open from years ago, mad.

Deiseen wrote: »
    As above!
    Such an important issue and the only thing you are concerned about is that theres another thread open from years ago, mad.

Who said I'm "not worried about it"? Just don't see the new to re-hash stuff because on the latest media hysteria.
    How many threads do you want to repeat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Who said I'm "not worried about it"? Just don't see the new to re-hash stuff because on the latest media hysteria.
    How many threads do you want to repeat?

He's from Waterford he's a bit slow.

Anything constructive to add to the thread then lads?

Anything constructive to add to the thread then lads?

What do you want us to add that hasn't been said 100000 times?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

In fairness, if the media took that approach an awful lot of issues would be discussed once and never again. This has been in the national media quite a bit in recent weeks and they didn't say that it's all been discussed before. This is an ongoing issue and a large chunk of the population in the South-East is getting inferior coronary care. That includes a large part of Co. Kilkenny. Unfortunately, this is being seen as a purely Waterford issue when this is clearly not the case.

In fairness, if the media took that approach an awful lot of issues would be discussed once and never again. This has been in the national media quite a bit in recent weeks and they didn't say that it's all been discussed before. This is an ongoing issue and a large chunk of the population in the South-East is getting inferior coronary care. That includes a large part of Co. Kilkenny. Unfortunately, this is being seen as a purely Waterford issue when this is clearly not the case.
    Spot on. Plenty of people from Co. Kilkenny and Co. Wexford have spoken out recently about their traumatic experiences of having to have their operations halted mid-operation, living with extensive heart damage due to the length of the ambulance journey and just the general harrowing tales of being in that long ambulance ride.
    Paudie Coffey recently spoke in the Seanad about another man who had died on route in an Ambulance in Clonmel. The family have wanted this to remain private but Paudie is doing some investigating on this to find out what happened. I am sure, seeing as though he died in an ambulance in Clonmel, that the man was either coming from Kilkenny or Tipperary. So as Squidvicious said, NOT just a Waterford issue but very much a Kilkenny issue and now deaths have occurred since it was last spoken about so it's very important that people keep speaking about it.

• Advertisement

Just wondering if anyone has seen the recent Primetime report on cardiac care in the South East?
    It did a good job of highlighting how it affects Kilkenny with only 1 patient making it to Dublin within the vital 90 minute window. On top of that, it showed that the average transfer time from St. Luke's was 2 hours 25 minutes, way over the recommended 90 minutes.
    Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

I think the problem is when a person has chest pain and reports to hospital and is THEN diagnosed with a heart attack. This is where the delay happens. So the person is diagnosed with a heart attack, a PCI capable hospital is contacted and then an ambulance is booked. The Paramedics go to their vehicle and drive to the hospital, offload the stretcher, bring it in, transfer the patient, get the paperwork. Then they bring the patient out, load up and hit the road.

Compare this to when a person has a chest pain at home and calls 999. Paramedics arrive, do a 12 Lead ECG, they confirm a heart attack, contact a PCI centre, speak to the Cardiologist, give an ETA, load up the patient, hit the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Just wondering if anyone has seen the recent Primetime report on cardiac care in the South East?
    It did a good job of highlighting how it affects Kilkenny with only 1 patient making it to Dublin within the vital 90 minute window. On top of that, it showed that the average transfer time from St. Luke's was 2 hours 25 minutes, way over the recommended 90 minutes.
    Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this now?

Its a scandal can not understand why John Halligan does not pull his support for the government over this also John Paul Phelan why does he not do more if this happened anywhere else there would be up roar. Why is the south east left behind is it because Cork, Dublin, are near them I don't no it should have more three motorways n11, m9,m8 going through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

John Halligan is counting his big fat ministerial pension and cruising to an easy life after hes slaughtered in the next election. Until then, he just plays the whole "Im really concerned about cardiac care in the South East" card. Sellout.

John Halligan is counting his big fat ministerial pension and cruising to an easy life after hes slaughtered in the next election. Until then, he just plays the whole "Im really concerned about cardiac care in the South East" card. Sellout.

In fairness to John, he's been the most vocal politician around on this and I don't think we would be where we are without him. There's a second lab going in soon which will allow 24 hours during the week but no weekend cover unfortunately.

What I would like to know is where are all the Kilkenny and Wexford politicians on this, maybe I'm not listening in the right circles but I am hearing absolutely nothing from them.

Is he not part of a patched up government he has the strings to control the thing its in his constituency .

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Is he not part of a patched up government he has the strings to control the thing its in his constituency .

Well, as I said, there's a second lab being built (and a modular lab there at moment) and I don't think any of this would be possible without John.

I'm not saying John is immune from criticism but where is everyone else?

Well, as I said, there's a second lab being built (and a modular lab there at moment) and I don't think any of this would be possible without John.

I'm not saying John is immune from criticism but where is everyone else?

You and I better ask our polloticans when they knock on our doors the next election where everyone else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Joe Daly wrote: »
    You and I better ask our polloticans when they knock on our doors the next election where everyone else is.

So, are any of the candidates in Carlow/Kilkenny talking about this as an important issue?
    Is anybody challenging them on their doorsteps?

So, are any of the candidates in Carlow/Kilkenny talking about this as an important issue?
    Is anybody challenging them on their doorsteps?

No. Never comes up really. Carlow Kilkenny is pretty apolitical tbh. Things usually just plod along as they are. FF or FG leaning most of the way- if FF get in I can't see Micheal Martin being too bothered about UWH which Cork view as a feeder hospital to Cork ones now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement