Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flower or weed - can anyone tell?

Options
  • 24-06-2017 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

I had planted a wide variety of flower seeds and bulbs over the last year, and originally thought this was a flower - but is so big and the flowers are so small I'm now thinking this is a weed. Any thoughts?

420670.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a willowherb of some description. and it is a flower, often considered a weed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

A weed is just a plant in a place where it's not wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Common willowherb. Very common and seeds everywhere. IIt over-winters asa rootless bud which you may find in spring.
    The seedlings will come up in all your flower-pots, etc, but they are easy enough to pull up. This classifies it as a "weed" in your garden, and most gardens: though there is no precise definition of "a weed" - it only means a plant making a nuisance of itself in the wrong place

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dotgos

Hi,
    That looks like Joe pie weed,very prolific and needs to be pulled up.you will find it very easy to pull.i had the same disappointment last year

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Joe Pye Weed is not common in Ireland unless sown for ornamental value, and looks nothing like this Willow Herb...

• Advertisement
Advertisement