Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl sun cream. - UVB

Options
  • 24-06-2017 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Recently bought the attached sun cream from Lidl, for the kids.

It mentions UVA. But no mention of UVB. Anyone know if this is safe?

i.e. The no mention of UVB on packaging.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi,

Recently bought the attached sun cream from Lidl, for the kids.

It mentions UVA. But no mention of UVB. Anyone know if this is safe?

i.e. The no mention of UVB on packaging.

UVB days are ones that actually cause sunburn, not sure about that cream but I'd always look for something with 5 star Uva and UVB. It should say somewhere on the package that it's Uva and b if it's present

If your looking for something which has both I'd regularly use Aldis Lacura range which is around €4 or Boots Soltan. Both offer very good protection and are better than perceived better brands like Garnier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

duffman13 wrote: »
    UVB days are ones that actually cause sunburn, not sure about that cream but I'd always look for something with 5 star Uva and UVB. It should say somewhere on the package that it's Uva and b if it's present

If your looking for something which has both I'd regularly use Aldis Lacura range which is around €4 or Boots Soltan. Both offer very good protection and are better than perceived better brands like Garnier

Thanks.the lidl thing I bought does not have any mention of UVB, so I may have to dump it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

What do you think the FPS 50+ refers to? Think you'll find the the SPF (FPS in german?) is the UVB protection factor and relates to blocking 98% of UVB rays https://www.badgerbalm.com/s-30-what-is-spf-sunscreen-sun-protection-factor.aspx

my3cents wrote: »
    What do you think the FPS 50+ refers to? Think you'll find the the SPF (FPS in german?) is the UVB protection factor and relates to blocking 98% of UVB rays https://www.badgerbalm.com/s-30-what-is-spf-sunscreen-sun-protection-factor.aspx

I don't speak German so have no idea what FPS means.

This is why I am asking the question in the first place.

Most things I have bought in the past specifically mention UVA and then UVB.

so your saying, this particular product I have does indeed have UVB protection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

obi604 wrote: »
    I don't speak German so have no idea what FPS means.

This is why I am asking the question in the first place.

Most things I have bought in the past specifically mention UVA and then UVB.

so your saying, this particular product I have does indeed have UVB protection?

You can't have a SPF of 50+ and not block UVB. I also seem to remember that the product came out quite well in some recent independent tests just can't find a link atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Which Sunscreen Tests

SPF gives an indication of the level of protection against UVB, the type of ultraviolet radiation that is the main cause of sunburn, while UVA is associated with premature ageing of the skin. Both UVB and UVA have been implicated in the development of skin cancer.

I suppose the reason I asked the question in the first place is cause all my other sun products specifically say UVA & UVB on the box.

And this Lidl one just says UVA.

Advertisement