Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual fishy moments

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

That's a tench fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

TheTorment wrote: »
    Saw this on YouTube before. Its behind Leixlip Dam.
    I reckon Id have soiled myself if I was there!
    No idea what causes it? Any suggestions?

I'd be getting outta' there warp speed 7, just in case :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

TheTorment wrote: »
    Saw this on YouTube before. Its behind Leixlip Dam.

I reckon Id have soiled myself if I was there!

Seen something similar on the moy one day the pool I was fishing in suddenly started bubbling was wondering wtf was going on when about half a ton of leaves and silt Rose to the top reckon it was gas from the rotting leaves frightened the sh1t out of me for a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

1: also caught a bat on the dodder while flyfishing...
    2: caught a 13lb pike while trotting for dace on the barrow, 3lb line, centrepin reel, sz 16 match hook
    3: caught a landing net before
    4: pulled a sign out of the canal while raking a swim
    5: an octopus tried to crawl into my shorts in spain while rock fishing, i jumped!

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

In my younger days I'd spend a few days of summer hols with my Uncle and he said he'd take me spinning for pike on the Shannon in Athlone. He used to fish off the end of an old diving board for pike and perch. So off we went the day before and he treated me to a couple of cheap lures in the tackle shop and bought himself a ludicrously priced lure, all I can remember is that Rapala was the brand and it cost a small fortune (well to me as a young fella it seemed a fortune anyway).
    Anyway so all I kept hearing that night was how he was going to catch a few monster pike with this new lure. Same the next morning on the way to the diving board that we would be fishing off.
    So we get there and I'm still setting my rod up but he's up and running quicker than me and he smugly puts this new rapala lure onto the wire trace and says "here she goes" and casts away.
    Turns out he forgot to close the clip on the wire trace. All I can remember is his line heading off to the right, now containing nothing more than a few small shots of lead and a trace, and his new lure gliding through the air (in roughly the opposite direction it was meant to go) before gently plopping into the river.
    Won't repeat the language he used but his face turned a funny colour and it was the first time I ever literally pissed myself from laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Was fishing a river in Scotland last week and a beaver pops his head out of the bank and swims past me. Bloody big animal! Saw another one a couple of miles upstream later on. Apparently they're everywhere now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Zzippy wrote: »
    Was fishing a river in Scotland last week and a beaver pops his head out of the bank and swims past me. Bloody big animal! Saw another one a couple of miles upstream later on. Apparently they're everywhere now...

Was that on the Tay system? I'm based in NE scotland and there's none here yet or no one has seen any or evidence of, that I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

As the thread has moved towards animal encounters while fishing....

I was float fishing for Pollock one summers day. Water was flat calm and crystal clear as I sat on a rock ledge day dreaming, a basking shark surfaced a few feet away away cruised past. All I was short was the jaws music and I would have needed ton go home and change my trousers.

A fishing buddy of my father's was fishing the Lee in Cork very early one summers morning. He was crouched down on one knee setting up the gear when a mink jumped from the ditch behind him onto the outstretched leg. They looked at each other and both ran. He still maintains he doesn't know who got a bigger fright!

Auldloon wrote: »
    Was that on the Tay system? I'm based in NE scotland and there's none here yet or no one has seen any or evidence of, that I've heard.

Yep, the Ericht and Isla tributaries. Saw 2 in half an hour a couple of miles apart, met a few locals who said they were spreading fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

wasnt there a Coho salmon caught in galway and scotland recently??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Yea that's right here that! Coho salmon in Galway strange

wasnt there a Coho salmon caught in galway and scotland recently??

Confirmed as pink salmon, a second one caught too, and a few in the Spey this week apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

They were introduced into Russia years ago and have been making their way south since. A big problem in parts of  Norway I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Things I've caught;
    2 salmon in one cast a few times, landed both twice now.
    Salmon rose to my top dropper once, came at speed and I hooked it, it kept going and jumped right into the boat.
    Was bringing a salmon to the net once and a sea trout jumped out of the water to take the top dropper which was about a foot out of the water.
    Bats, terns, gannets, gulls and a swan.
    A bullock on a back cast, that was fun.
    Boots, shoes, wellies, tampons, trollies, traffic cones, sanitary towels and condoms, the perils of urban fishing.
    A small boy who was struggling to keep his head up out of the water.
    A pike on a carp boilie.
    A 2lb trout on a sweetcorn I was retrieving when carp fishing.
    I once found a 6lb salmon minus it's head in a silage pit, still baffles me that one.
    I've caught salmon, trout, carp and roach on a cigarette butt.
    A flounder on a wet fly about 15 miles above the tidal limit.
    That's all I can remember right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

I'm fairly sure I saw a flounder in the Dodder up near beaver row.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    They were introduced into Russia years ago and have been making their way south since. A big problem in parts of  Norway I believe.

As they spawn in late summer/early autumn in the lower reaches and migrate to the estuary at a young age, I don't see how they would be a huge problem. They don't spawn in the same places or at the same time as trout or Atlantic salmon, they don't stay in the river long to compete with juvenile salmonids, and they don't feed as adults when they come into the river. Yes they're an invasive species if they become established but I don't think their impact will be that big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kerryman79

got snagged in a dead pig once smell off it was revolting !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Fishing on the bottom in howth harbour with a friend of mine when he suddenly gets a big bend in the rod. Fighting face in,he starts to retrieve what he actually thought was some kind of giant ray,and I could see something large on the end of his line...turns out he'd snagged a full set of sand-filled oilskins by the hood. Giant ray indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Fishing on the bottom in howth harbour with a friend of mine when he suddenly gets a big bend in the rod. Fighting face in,he starts to retrieve what he actually thought was some kind of giant ray,and I could see something large on the end of his line...turns out he'd snagged a full set of sand-filled oilskins by the hood. Giant ray indeed

something very similar happened me around 15 years ago. I was fishing the waggler for roach on a local river, thought I had a large bream, turned out it was a paint can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Was on my uncles boat around Ireland Eye. had some engine problems so he couldn't stop the boat, but we continued to feather for mackerel. had a great day pulling them in and then I hit the big one!! boat rod bent over, wasn't snagged cos I could feel the pull....fought for what felt like 15/20 minutes and the fight was crazy... the boat was still moving....it was coming up to the surface...caught two seagulls that were diving for fish!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement