Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Isofix?

Options
  • 24-06-2017 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

We just bought a peugeot 307, it has the isofix brackets at end of seats but it doesn't have the top tether at the back of seats, we rang peugeot and they said it's not necessary to use the top tether? Is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Some seats it is necessary to use both the ISOFIX points and the tether. I'd contact the car seat manufacturer and inquire with them as to whether your seat is safe to use without the tether.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hazelZzz

January wrote: »
    Some seats it is necessary to use both the ISOFIX points and the tether. I'd contact the car seat manufacturer and inquire with them as to whether your seat is safe to use without the tether.

Thank you I emailed them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

The car seat we have has an anchor, the manual says it should be used if possible, but it is not required.

The isofix and seatbelt are also used which each are separate methods to secure the seat.

OK have you checked the manual for the seat? If you don't have it, you should be able to find it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does your seat base have a floor leg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Depends on the seat, any ISOFIX car seat I've owned didn't require the tether, not many cars have them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Our Isofix seats both have legs in the front that go to the floor and neither has a top tether at all.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Does your seat base have a floor leg?

No, the have a belt on top for tethering

colm_c wrote: »
    The car seat we have has an anchor, the manual says it should be used if possible, but it is not required.

The isofix and seatbelt are also used which each are separate methods to secure the seat.

OK have you checked the manual for the seat? If you don't have it, you should be able to find it online.

I just received the seats today! The manual only gives instructions for using the top tether with group 1- it doesn't say you can use it without but group 2&3 use the seatbelt instead.

My 4 year old would be in group 2 so I can keep hers but my son is still group 1 so I may have to return his I guess! I will give them a ring and ask beforehand. Thanks :)

Our Isofix seats both have legs in the front that go to the floor and neither has a top tether at all.

Yeah these ones don't have the legs, they have the belt for the tether instead! I think I have seen the bases with the legs but I am not sure if they would be compatible with a toddler seat or are they only compatible with the small baby carseats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_c wrote: »

Top tether is there to eliminate the seat roll forward.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

But if the seats use the adult belt they'll perform the same function as the tether. OP mentions that the seatbelt is used for group 2 and 3 so that implies the tether is not required. But we don't know the carseat to draw definitive conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Just use the adult seat belt to fit them as well as the isofix, that will keep them secure, it's not like you can use the belt for anything else so may as well double up!

If the seat is not designed for use with the adult belt it could be a danger to the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If the seat is not designed for use with the adult belt it could be a danger to the kids.

Could be wrong but most isofix seats I've seen have an option to be fitted with the belts as not all cars would have isofix

True, but not always around the passenger, which for some reason is all I was thinking of.

Advertisement