Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arrested for shoplifting

• 24-06-2017 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Please please help...
    I recently purchased my girl's clothes in pennys...when i got home they couldn't fit and after two days or so I took them back but only coz I misplaced the receipt they couldn't change or refund...am a single mother who can't hold a job coz I take care of my daughter with severe disability...all my money counts...I couldn't believe that I had to bin or rather forget about these clothes....
    After so much thought I figured,what if I go in there, swap n hope to God I get away with it...I didn't! I now have summons to go to court in a few weeks...
    What was I thinking? Am stupid or something...am so sorry and ashamed..I've changed...that's not me for sure...
    Advice please...am so distressed I can't eat or sleep...
    Let me say I have been going through a very stressful situation in the last year where my 21yr marriage fell apart,was so humiliated in the whole community by what my ex did...can't even leave the house now...no friends whatsoever and no family...am so stressed and alone with my daughter...
    My Doctor knows all I've been going through and some charity that have helped in that year...
    Am so broke coz my ex won't pay maintenance.
    Please help...am drowning
    What will happen in Court?.
    Must I get a solicitor?
    Will I be in the local newspapers?
    Omg....
    My ex has won...he called me stupid/weak and useless.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Did you swap the clothes right from the shelf or go to the customer services desk?

Sorry for all of your troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Suz Suz

[qruote="rawn;103895400"]Did you swap the clothes right from the shelf or go to the customer services desk?

Sorry for all of your troubles.[/quote

right from the shelf...
    I tried changing they refused coz I lost the receipt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Personal Issues

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

There's never a problem exchanging without a receipt in there.Did you explain to them that you had been refused an exchange previously?

Hope it works out for you,sorry to hear what you're going through...is there anyone at all that you could speak to,any good friend or neighbour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Can't offer you much advice to be honest.
    Talk to your GP and ask for help regarding your counselling needs. Are you on social welfare? By either talking to them of citizens information make sure your getting everything your entitled to.
    Regarding the shop lifting, just be honest and explain your situation about what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Apply for legal aid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I'm not sure what advice you're looking for op all i can say is in financial terms if your child is severely disabled you should be in receipt of dca and carers allowance.

Colser wrote: »
    There's never a problem exchanging without a receipt in there.Did you explain to them that you had been refused an exchange previously?

Hope it works out for you,sorry to hear what you're going through...is there anyone at all that you could speak to,any good friend or neighbour?

Thanks for your reply..I thought so too but then was told NO!..Unfortunately no friends neighbour or family..
    When I attempted to swap I spoke to no one...just went in n straight went for it...call it madness and stupidity.

I'm not sure what advice you're looking for op all i can say is in financial terms if your child is severely disabled you should be in receipt of dca and carers allowance.

I am on both thankyou...
    Am just worried of what will happen in court...am so scared

Can't offer you much advice to be honest.
    Talk to your GP and ask for help regarding your counselling needs. Are you on social welfare? By either talking to them of citizens information make sure your getting everything your entitled to.
    Regarding the shop lifting, just be honest and explain your situation about what happened.

Yes am on Carers allowance.Am also having counselling.thxx

• Advertisement

Suz Suz wrote: »
    Yes am on Carers allowance.Am also having counselling.thxx

Just make sure you get everything your entitled to. Don't be afraid to ask.
    Regarding your situation in court. It isn't ideal. You made a mistake and it's not the end of the world. Don't let it get you down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

I am on both thankyou...
    Am just worried of what will happen in court...am so scared

Only advice I will give you is to tell the court the truth.

The details you have posted have me thinking that you are leaving out some of the facts about the shoplifting incident. If you would only have been stopped after passing the final point of payment and if you had swapped you would not have been arrested.

If this was you first offence it would have be far more likely you would be given an adult caution and not summonsed to appear in court.

collie0708 wrote: »
    Only advice I will give you is to tell the court the truth.

The details you have posted have me thinking that you are leaving out some of the facts about the shoplifting incident. If you would only have been stopped after passing the final point of payment and if you had swapped you would not have been arrested.

If this was you first offence it would have be far more likely you would be given an adult caution and not summonsed to appear in court.

What I may have left out is it so happens that about 7yrs ago I was in a close to similar situation...I 've had neurological problems in the last few years that I couldn't remember...got acute memory problems,I had to ask someone who lived with me then n she explained it was in a store my ex worked and I was close to breaking point and I wanted to embarrass him for him to stop working there coz I thought then he was having an affair with a colleague...I was arrested yes but he didn't quit working there. (It turned out it was true he was having the affair n that's why we separated)then I understand I was causioned.

What I may have left out is it so happens that about 7yrs ago I was in a close to similar situation...I 've had neurological problems in the last few years that I couldn't remember...got acute memory problems,I had to ask someone who lived with me then n she explained it was in a store my ex worked and I was close to breaking point and I wanted to embarrass him for him to stop working there coz I thought then he was having an affair with a colleague...I was arrested yes but he didn't quit working there. (It turned out it was true he was having the affair n that's why we separated)then I understand I was causioned.

I was stopped outside the door...they said they saw me in the cctv...I right away tried to explain to the guard I just exchanged but he said it didn't matter...so I froze and cooperated and did the same with the police.OMG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

I was stopped outside the door...they said they saw me in the cctv...I right away tried to explain to the guard I just exchanged but he said it didn't matter...so I froze and cooperated and did the same with the police.OMG

Hopefully you learn from the experience and begin to make better decisions that don't lead to you putting yourself in these type of situations.

Ah OK so it's not a first offence.

Perhaps you need some legal advice op as really there's nothing anyone here can tell you. A solicitor is really your best bet tbh.

You might get banned from Penneys!

You might get banned from Penneys!

I was....am so ashamed...Am a million and one percent sure I'll never ever put myself in such a situation again...Never!

Ah OK so it's not a first offence.

Perhaps you need some legal advice op as really there's nothing anyone here can tell you. A solicitor is really your best bet tbh.

Thanx again...I will see one on Monday...Worst case scenario would appearing in the local newspaper...Omg...thxx for talking to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hi OP. You may be entitled to free legal aid. Check out the site below.

http://www.legalaidboard.ie/en/

Try get a solicitor if you can. They can better plead your case in court. Judges can be sympathetic in some cases.

Also as others have said you may be entitled to some additional financial support given your circumstances. I'm not au fait with who is the best people to speak to unfortunately. You could try MABS or your local social welfare office.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

I think you are worrying too much over it. The likely outcome is the probation of offenders act. No conviction. Its likely to be your first time in court.

Explain your case in court. Apply for legal aid but seriously you have not done armed robbery or drug running. Why they bothered pursuing it is beyond me.

I think you are worrying too much over it. The likely outcome is the probation of offenders act. No conviction. Its likely to be your first time in court.

Explain your case in court. Apply for legal aid but seriously you have not done armed robbery or drug running. Why they bothered pursuing it is beyond me.

Omg....am seriously sick with worry and worst knowing court is two weeks away...yes it's my first time in court.Just when I had started to work on myself...was waiting for Garda Vetting so as to work with Charity...I hope I don't get me a conviction and I don't see me in the papers.I hardly leave the house coz of how my ex shamed me in the whole community and neighbourhood and now this? My fault butttt
    God help.
    Thanx a million for your reply.

Would you mind me asking what did your ex do?
    I think you've just to go out and hold your head up high. Most people are understanding and some will gossip a little but they tend to forget things after a while. Certain people would love to hold something over you but those people try it no matter what your situation. I find sometimes you think everybody is talking about you but when in actually fact is their not.

Would you mind me asking what did your ex do?
    I think you've just to go out and hold your head up high. Most people are understanding and some will gossip a little but they tend to forget things after a while. Certain people would love to hold something over you but those people try it no matter what your situation. I find sometimes you think everybody is talking about you but when in actually fact is their not.

Ooh God...he started an affair with my friend when I needed him most..after my daughter's diagnosis...the lowest time of my life...the affair went on for 9yrs....rumour had it 7yrs ago but they both denied and stupid me i believe...he worked on my self esteem good...made sure I had no friends n ofcourse no family whatsoever here.Just came to learn a few months ago she even has a baby by him..Worst....everyone in town always said she's HIV positive...I got tested n thx God am fine...only I was the last one to know in town..I've had strangers come to and ask if I was tested for HIV. I feel like the whole town n community think I have AIDS even if I posted the results to a few pple.I feel judged and sooo alone...
    And then this.
    Whoever said Karma is a bitch..her daughter has the same diagnosis..feel bad for the kid but not the mother.Worst she was married with 3 more kids...Husband gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Op something doesn't add up about your story. I exchange in Penneys all the time without a receipt. Receipt is only really needed if you're looking to be refunded. Make sure you have your story straight before you go to court because there are a lot of holes in it right now.

anna080 wrote: »
    Op something doesn't add up about your story. I exchange in Penneys all the time without a receipt. Receipt is only really needed if you're looking to be refunded. Make sure you have your story straight before you go to court because there are a lot of holes in it right now.

That's exactly what happened,besides the receipt its only one top that didn't have a tag attached...the lady said I don't have a receipt n one item don't have a tag meaning there's nothing she could do...I didn't say much..I just left..wish I talked to someone else...Omg

That's exactly what happened,besides the receipt its only one top that didn't have a tag attached...the lady said I don't have a receipt n one item don't have a tag meaning there's nothing she could do...I didn't say much..I just left..wish I talked to someone else...Omg

For the note...I managed to find a small piece of the original receipt only it doesn't say much...just the part where the prices are printed...that's after going turning the house upside down...I had spent €73 and what am in for is €42... just needed to change 3 items...do you think that piece of receipt can help...OMG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Oh so the top didn't have a tag? Well I could see then why they wouldn't accept it. Sorry but you don't just decide for yourself that you're going to exchange anyway and see can you get away with it. Did you leave the other things that didn't fit behind you in the store? Either way it's theft.
    I feel bad for your situation but the last thing your daughter needs is her mother out shoplifting in the shops.

Oh so the top didn't have a tag? Well I could see then why they wouldn't accept it. Sorry but you don't just decide for yourself that you're going to exchange anyway and see can you get away with it. Did you leave the other things that didn't fit behind you in the store? Either way it's theft.
    I feel bad for your situation but the last thing your daughter needs is her mother out shoplifting in the shops.

Thank you...I appreciate your opinion.God bless.And yes I left behind the ones I swapped..and yes...I've always done the best....God knows...she knows it and I know it..just made mistakes here and there but God will see me through...thxx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Suz I'm sorry for the situation youre in but you seem to have an excuse and a sob story for everything.

Your stories not adding up. First you had no receipt, then the tag was off the clothes, then you found a bit of the receipt. Youre not making sense.

Suz I'm sorry for the situation youre in but you seem to have an excuse and a sob story for everything.

Your stories not adding up. First you had no receipt, then the tag was off the clothes, then you found a bit of the receipt. Youre not making sense.

Am sorry if it doesn't make Sense but I wouldn't have written allllll there is to it...from where I started my story was already too long to add every bit of it...I tried as much as I could to get direct to the point...am sorry but thanks...feel free to add on your opinion...trust me I value it...thank you

They don't have to exchange without a receipt and perhaps in this instance they didn't want to for whatever reason.
    It's not really relevant, helping yourself to items because you didn't get the exchange you wanted is shoplifting and pennys prosecute all shoplifters afaik.

Am sorry if it doesn't make Sense but I wouldn't have written allllll there is to it...from where I started my story was already too long to add every bit of it...I tried as much as I could to get direct to the point...am sorry but thanks...feel free to add on your opinion...trust me I value it...thank you

If I may...someone can right now challenge me to where I've talked about memory problems, I'd then add I have letters and records going back more than 6 yrs from St.James hospital...you'd then say I didn't say that before...am new here, I know what I did was wrong...please...but I appreciate.

They don't have to exchange without a receipt and perhaps in this instance they didn't want to for whatever reason.
    It's not really relevant, helping yourself to items because you didn't get the exchange you wanted is shoplifting and pennys prosecute all shoplifters afaik.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

In Penneys in cork you can't exchange or refund without a receipt, but you can swap a size in the same item. For example, a few weeks ago I bought some pjs, said a size 12 on the hanger but was a size 18 when I got home.
    Had no receipt but was able to swap for th correct size no problem seeing as it was the exact same item.
    All stores will have different policies though.

OP I suggest you get legal aid in the short term but in the long term, you should look into moving home. It sounds like a very toxic, stressful environment to be living in and a fresh start will do you good.

• Advertisement

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    In Penneys in cork you can't exchange or refund without a receipt, but you can swap a size in the same item. For example, a few weeks ago I bought some pjs, said a size 12 on the hanger but was a size 18 when I got home.
    Had no receipt but was able to swap for th correct size no problem seeing as it was the exact same item.

OP I suggest you get legal aid in the short term but in the long term, you should look into moving home. It sounds like a very toxic, stressful environment to be living in and a fresh start will do you good.

Thank you so much...appreciate your input...I have to change something...myself to start with...then country if possible...I wish I'd run run and run n never turn back...
    Thxx

When you go to court you might see a journalist their taking notes but they don't always publish these stories. If they did the local papers would be full of court stories.
    You've to try and leave what happened with your husband in the past. You did nothing wrong.
    Forgot about people gossiping about you they'll move on to something else after a while. Don't hang around with people who upset you to much.
    Have your story straight for court.

When you go to court you might see a journalist their taking notes but they don't always publish these stories. If they did the local papers would be full of court stories.
    You've to try and leave what happened with your husband in the past. You did nothing wrong.
    Forgot about people gossiping about you they'll move on to something else after a while. Don't hang around with people who upset you to much.
    Have your story straight for court.

Thanks a million...I'll do exactly that...with therapy,God and my Doc,am really trying hard to move on and I'll make better decisions moving forward...
    God bless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

WhiteRoses wrote: »

That's not true. I exchanged an item in Penny's Cork last week for a totally different item and have done regularly. Maybe it depends on who you get on the day, but my experience has been as long as tags are still on, it's never been a problem.

OP, you made a terrible mistake and unfortunately you have to stand up and own it. Apply for legal aid immediately and get professional advice. Be honest about what happened and be contrite, explain your difficulties without making it look like you're making excuses. You talk about memory lapses, not sure what you mean by that. Your story sounds a bit jumbled at the moment. You need to calm down about it. It won't be pleasant but I would be surprised if you get anything more than a slap on the wrist.

ncmc wrote: »
    That's not true. I exchanged an item in Penny's Cork last week for a totally different item and have done regularly. Maybe it depends on who you get on the day, but my experience has been as long as tags are still on, it's never been a problem.

OP, you made a terrible mistake and unfortunately you have to stand up and own it. Apply for legal aid immediately and get professional advice. Be honest about what happened and be contrite, explain your difficulties without making it look like you're making excuses. You talk about memory lapses, not sure what you mean by that. Your story sounds a bit jumbled at the moment. You need to calm down about it. It won't be pleasant but I would be surprised if you get anything more than a slap on the wrist.

Thanks loads...
    I know...if I was telling it direct am sure it would make a lot of sense..I understand pple saying its sounds jumbled...ooh dear..my memory....long story but it's just that I hardly remember 3/4 of what may have happened 6 months and on...it's so selective I can't tell what I'll remember n what I won't...just so frustrating n scary too...had Mri...CT scan...Lumber Puncher and they are still looking into it...for now they think it's stress related...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

If they have CCTV of you taking the items surely they have CCTV of you talking to Customer Dervice followed by you putting the original items back

Big Nasty wrote: »
    If they have CCTV of you taking the items surely they have CCTV of you talking to Customer Dervice followed by you putting the original items back

True....I told them that n the guard went on to say the end result is what mattered so I figured I didnt have a chance coz even if they went digging for when I spoke to customer service n find it, it would make no difference of the current situation. He said the fact is...I left the store with the unpaid good..and its true...omg...so,guilty! And I accept..oooh dear...I do n am sorry...I don't want the whole thing to drag forever in court..just want it done n over with so no need to go n talk about..."get the cctv for this and that.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just for clarity and I see that Faceman, among others, have posted about it and the link to the legal aid board has been posted previously (with good intentions), the legal aid board deals only with civil matters and so will not be able to help you. Shoplifting is a criminal matter, not civil.

Furthermore, criminal legal aid (the type you hear mentioned in the news) will `probably not be available to you as you are not in danger of a custodial sentence on the face of what you have outlined.

You will either have to represent yourself or get a solicitor. FLAC, the free legal advice centre, may be able to offer advice via their telephone service but won't be able to go to court with you.

Several others have mentioned honesty as well and I think, based on what you have posted,it's something you need to embrace, because your story seems to be changing with every post - be that honesty with a solicitor and/or in front of a judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

just want it done n over with so no need to go n talk about..."get the cctv for this and that.."

Eh, that CCTV footage is your defence!

Any Penney's I have been in do not exchange without a receipt, ever.
    In the OPs post however, no tag either? Never going to happen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

OP I hope you get an education in prison and learn to work and survive the right way. There's too many career single Moms using any excuse not to work and survive off benefits. That's not a life really.

OP I hope you get an education in prison and learn to work and survive the right way. There's too many career single Moms using any excuse not to work and survive off benefits. That's not a life really.

Thank you....your opinion is valued...
    If no kids yet I hope God doesn't slap you with one with disabilities and then you'll realise how hard and mean life can turn out to be.God forbid ofcourse but thanks

Thank you....your opinion is valued...
    If no kids yet I hope God doesn't slap you with one with disabilities and then you'll realise how hard and mean life can turn out to be.God forbid ofcourse but thanks

And for the note...the woman who messed up my marriage said the same about me...with three kids she had said "no more"...but God wasn't done with her...got the fourth with my hubby and Pap! hers too got the same disability that my daughter has....DON'T test God!
    Bless you n thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Unfortunately threads like this attract the Pharisees. We all have faults-different types etc But faults nonetheless. I might do x which you would never do but you would do Y-which I woudnt do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

In fairness her husband left her and she has a child with problems...hardly a typical single mom who set out to play the system.

OP I think you need to go to court,tell the truth and accept the outcome.Your story is dubious to say the least so get it straight in your head as you will be caught out if you lie and that will definitely make matters worse.

The bigger problem here is your mental state in relation to your ex hubby and friend.That's a massive blow to get and I think that's the cause of most of your problems.You need massive help with that and you have to see your ex for what he is,a cheating liar and get it into your head that they're welcome to each other.

Where are your family and could you contact any of them for help?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement