Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi Issue: laptop or ISP?

Options
  • 24-06-2017 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I used to have Sky Broadband but have now moved home and am with a different provider. On the same Mac laptop I have always used, websites are timing out:

[HTML]This site can’t be reached
    www.boards.ie took too long to respond.

Resolving host...[/HTML]

But when I go to the same site on my iPhone, I can access the site immediately. Sometimes video streaming doesn't stream at all and others it does.

I rang my new provider and they tested the lone and did a speed check and said it was all fine.

I have never changed the settings on my Mac. Turning off and on Wifi fixes it.

Who do you think the fault lies with, the ISP or my Mac?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

ISP's have no responsibility for the quality of your wifi. All kinds of factors can have a negative effect on wifi, interference from dect phones, baby monitors, microwaves etc. Also the channel you are using could be crowded.

Try different things like re-positioning the router and changing the channel number. Always do a wired test to confirm you are getting good speeds in the first place. Make sure you are using the latest drivers for your mac also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

degsie wrote: »
    ISP's have no responsibility for the quality of your wifi. All kinds of factors can have a negative effect on wifi, interference from dect phones, baby monitors, microwaves etc. Also the channel you are using could be crowded.

Try different things like re-positioning the router and changing the channel number. Always do a wired test to confirm you are getting good speeds in the first place. Make sure you are using the latest drivers for your mac also.

The ISP changed the channel at their end but it hasn't fixed it. Odd that my iPhone never has any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Check the DNS settings on the mac/your router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Check the DNS settings on the mac/your router

Any more info on what to look for in those settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I don't suppose that you have a network cable with which you can connect your mac directly to the Sky Broadband box, to rule out wifi issues as a cause?

There's a program on your mac called Network Utility
    https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT202790

On the info page look for the number of Send & Receive errors.

On the ping page try pinging google's DNS at ip address 8.8.8.8 to see if the response times are low (consistently under 30 ms (milliseconds) would be normal)

On the Lookup page, try resolving some common domain names to their IP address. (This is the 'resolving host' bit) if your computer doesn't get the x.x.x.x address that corresponds to the domain name then it fails to communicate with it. Solution would be changing from the auto-provided Sky DNS to a different public DNS such as google or opendns.

On the Traceroute page, put in 8.8.8.8 and see whether there are any steps in the route between you and google that are not responding in quick time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Any more info on what to look for in those settings?

On the router make sure you're using the correct DNS for your isp. Are you with eircom now?

On the Mac as that poster above says you could try Google's or openDNS & see if they work.
    Add them manually as your DNS

Advertisement