Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair deductions from tips

Options
  • 24-06-2017 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I work for a certain petrol station chain and we have recently undergone a management change. THe new manager has started to take any losses from our till from our tips. We use one till float for multiple people which isn't counted between changing shifts so there is no way to know when or with whom the differences occur. What I'm wondering is how this is in any way legal? For example, last night our till was out by €150, which will pretty much take all of our tips. Worst case scenario would be that one member of staff may be responsible, how then is it far or legal for our employer to deduct money from our tips to cover the loss? The tips do not belong to the employer, they are given to us from members of the public as gratitude for our hard work. Any insight into this topic that could help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Currently the tips are not the property of the employees. Most employers let the staff have the tips but they do not have to. I think it was Sinn Fein that is proposing a law to change it.

Advertisement