Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S & S opt out / in

Options
  • 24-06-2017 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

So....we must decide by 11th Aug. I'm leaning towards opt out, what are people's thinking on this? If you are already an opt out do you still submit the form ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I know of one TUI school where 8 were able to opt out and all 8 did when it was offered to them a few weeks ago. Am leaning towards opt out too, would love to know what everyone thinks...I remember reading the financial pros and cons somewhere a few weeks ago but can't for the life of me find them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

I opted out the first time around. Definitely have no regrets. My school is an easy enough school, wouldn't be any trouble in corridors or classes but it's great to know my free time is my own. Costs me €67 gross a pay check. Down about €28 net a fortnight. Had never signed up to pensionability so wasn't really concerned about that element of it. No one who opted out in my school has regretted opting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Was subbing in an etb school and they were all opting out. The pay made very little difference and one teacher put it to me that it was taking work from subs who get paid much more than what they were getting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Was subbing in an etb school and they were all opting out. The pay made very little difference and one teacher put it to me that it was taking work from subs who get paid much more than what they were getting.

That was always my attitude to it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Nearly everyone who could opt out in my school has done so. I would dearly love to have had the chance.

It is causing some issues with regard to planning for next year already as it was being used to cover tutor time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

We have been sold a pup once again.......how much are the Dept.saving by holding onto all the Pension Contributions of those who opt out now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

ethical wrote: »
    We have been sold a pup once again.......how much are the Dept.saving by holding onto all the Pension Contributions of those who opt out now?

Very good point....surely that is borderline fraud !! Or do we let them away with it because if we opt out we know they won't return the money we already have in the pension fund from previous S&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

If we opt out......the money we have already contributed for pension purposes should be returned,.....again we need legal advice,who do we ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

I availed of the original opt-out under HRA. Almost all my colleagues in my school who had the option to opt out did so. Many more people certainly would have but were prevented from doing so. I don't regret it at all. The cut in net salary works out at around €2 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭doc_17

Is this thread like the opt out option itself? Do you have to have been teaching for 15 years before you can contribute participate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

doc_17 wrote: »
    Is this thread like the opt out option itself? Do you have to have been teaching for 15 years before you can contribute participate?

Ha ha! Yes Doc there the new rules...along with paying to not do something you never did..!! I am an opt out too & will be opting out again. And if there's an opt out for CP hrs I'll be opting out of them too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The irony is one lad I know who opted out originally would be ineligible for this opt out by not having 15 yrs done. So as it stands over the next 25yrs inflation will negate the price he has to pay as he will always pay the same 28 quid a week. The ones I know opting out this time will be hit with a bigger bill but its still worth every penny.

Will we not all pay the same Judeboy?

Icsics wrote: »

I cud be wrong on this but those in the original opt out got deducted a flat fee for life, those in New opt out, their fee goes up with each increment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Just to chip in regarding pension deduction-remember we pay a subscription to a pension scheme, we don't pay contributions into a pension pot. So pensions board won't be able to entertain a dispute because your subscription changes along with circumstance as opposed to contributions standing to you forever. Lastly I think you still pay pension levy on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭doc_17

If I had 15 post or more I'd contribute.

Icsics wrote: »

No its a 2 tier opt out

judeboy101 wrote: »
    No its a 2 tier opt out

Thanks Judeboy (& thanks for answering the question twice!)

judeboy101 wrote: »
    No its a 2 tier opt out

Checked with HO, they confirmed this....fee remains same for people who've already opted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Does that mean they get hit again? To still not do it?!

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    Does that mean they get hit again? To still not do it?!

? Those on original opt out pay the same amount 1769 ish per year. Those on new opt out pay 1769 for 1st year, but when they get the next increment they will pay 1769 plus %increase between one increment and next. This will continue until retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Opt out if you can,don't even hesitate! You'll NEVER regret opting out but you'll big time regret it if you don't.

acequion wrote: »
    Opt out if you can,don't even hesitate! You'll NEVER regret opting out but you'll big time regret it if you don't.

There will be an 'opt out/opt in' option in every future deal. The last opt out deal was a "once in a lifetime chance" but guess what? It wasn't.

If you EVER have any inclination to go for a Principal//DP job this might have implications if you are an opt out. Part of their job is s&s so you'd end up as a principal/DP doing s&s while paying for the privilege not to do it.

acequion wrote: »

So true acequion, it's really very little money for peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If very few people do the substitution in a school then they'll get stuck for it more often at the start (till they've reached the limit).
    Where as, if there were a large cohort doing it then it would be lightly spread over a longer period.

Therefore... if you are eligible to opt out then you should take account of the age profile and size of school first. Smallish school with many over 15 yrs -->then opt out. Large school with many junior colleagues -->keep the money as you won't be called as much.

Is that logic correct?

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    If very few people do the substitution in a school then they'll get stuck for it more often at the start (till they've reached the limit).
    Where as, if there were a large cohort doing it then it would be lightly spread over a longer period.

Therefore... if you are eligible to opt out then you should take account of the age profile and size of school first. Smallish school with many over 15 yrs -->then opt out. Large school with many junior colleagues -->keep the money as you won't be called as much.

Is that logic correct?
    That's true but large school might have more extra curric/ absenteeism. I know in my school some had all there super used up by Easter as the choose times more likely to be used (afternoon slots and Friday slots)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

I reckon there will still be a continuing drain to TUI based on the increment fiasco, ie. increments beginning again from June 2017 for ASTI which sets us all back a few years. Moving to TUI means you get back to your original increment status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I want to add another point to the whole debate. I appreciate its people's right to opt out and can financially be the best solution. But lets think of one other point: the school community: Now I know it depends on your school but lets just imagine your school has a good working relationship amongst everyone, principal and deputy work well with staff, students get on with staff. There are 2 points to note: 1) S&S can prove to be sociable for teachers because they get to meet students outside the formal classroom and 2) experienced teachers provide more stable supervision than substitute teachers. The more experienced teachers providing the lunchtime cover required, the more relaxed the school generally will be. Substitute teachers won't know the hotspots, the troublesome kids and the courage and confidence to deal with situations prior to them escalating to serious situations.
    I can see a staff meeting in some school in the next few years where people are giving out about the trouble being caused at lunchtime and one of the main factors is the lack of experience in the supervision.

Advertisement