Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S & S opt out / in

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

judeboy101 wrote: »
    If you EVER have any inclination to go for a Principal//DP job this might have implications if you are an opt out. Part of their job is s&s so you'd end up as a principal/DP doing s&s while paying for the privilege not to do it.

Very true, I hadn't thought about that. And even if you hold tough and say you opted out, you still have to organise and arrange it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bean Scoile

TheDriver wrote: »
    I want to add another point to the whole debate. I appreciate its people's right to opt out and can financially be the best solution. But lets think of one other point: the school community: Now I know it depends on your school but lets just imagine your school has a good working relationship amongst everyone, principal and deputy work well with staff, students get on with staff. There are 2 points to note: 1) S&S can prove to be sociable for teachers because they get to meet students outside the formal classroom and 2) experienced teachers provide more stable supervision than substitute teachers. The more experienced teachers providing the lunchtime cover required, the more relaxed the school generally will be. Substitute teachers won't know the hotspots, the troublesome kids and the courage and confidence to deal with situations prior to them escalating to serious situations.
    I can see a staff meeting in some school in the next few years where people are giving out about the trouble being caused at lunchtime and one of the main factors is the lack of experience in the supervision.

That sounds more like an argument to pay people appropriately than an argument to martyr yourself to the cause to me.

This idea of everyone pulling together for the good for the school is fine if everyone is being treated fairly. I don't believe s and s as it currently stands is a fair deal and as a result it's not something I want to be involved with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I want to add another point to the whole debate. I appreciate its people's right to opt out and can financially be the best solution. But lets think of one other point: the school community: Now I know it depends on your school but lets just imagine your school has a good working relationship amongst everyone, principal and deputy work well with staff, students get on with staff. There are 2 points to note: 1) S&S can prove to be sociable for teachers because they get to meet students outside the formal classroom and 2) experienced teachers provide more stable supervision than substitute teachers. The more experienced teachers providing the lunchtime cover required, the more relaxed the school generally will be. Substitute teachers won't know the hotspots, the troublesome kids and the courage and confidence to deal with situations prior to them escalating to serious situations.
    I can see a staff meeting in some school in the next few years where people are giving out about the trouble being caused at lunchtime and one of the main factors is the lack of experience in the supervision.

Pay peanuts, expect monkeys springs to mind

I'm not for one minute defending the rate of pay or the value of it to the pay packet, just adding other aspects to the discussion.
    From various schools around, I am hearing very few are opting out that haven't done so previously and the odd one is opting in.
    And you're right Bean Scoile, everyone should be treated fairly, both at school level and at national level. But alas, I appreciate every school is different and some will utilise this as a method to fight back at unfair school management.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

In some schools senior management carry out the S&S all the time,in other schools Senior Management have their names on rotas but DO NOT part-take in this very important part of school life......and YES there is more trouble around on yard duty etc where Senior Management do not put their shoulders to the wheel!

• Advertisement

ethical wrote: »
    In some schools senior management carry out the S&S all the time,in other schools Senior Management have their names on rotas but DO NOT part-take in this very important part of school life......and YES there is more trouble around on yard duty etc where Senior Management do not put their shoulders to the wheel!
    Prevention vs fire fighting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They are hours part-time teachers should be paid for, not free work tacked on to teachers while they slashed pay and conditions. The dreamchild of some clueless civil servant no doubt.
    The unions should never have agreed to it. The beginning of the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭dalalada

Hey everyone, I'm returning from the U.K after 3 years teaching to this **** show. I am fully qualified. I want to opt out. Can I? In 2014 I didn't have a choice as I wasn't working in teaching. I did, however, get paid for unqualified subbing back in 2011 if it makes any difference.  I finished uni in 2014.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

dalalada wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I'm returning from the U.K after 3 years teaching to this **** show. I am fully qualified. I want to opt out. Can I? In 2014 I didn't have a choice as I wasn't working in teaching. I did, however, get paid for unqualified subbing back in 2011 if it makes any difference.  I finished uni in 2014.

How many years teaching in Ireland have you? You can only opt out if you have 15 yrs I think

None all my teaching was in uk

• Advertisement

15 years? What kind of douchbag wrote this ****e? man what the hell. and dont get me started on all these bs circulars ive to catch up on. ****show.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

15 years? What kind of douchbag wrote this ****e? man what the hell. and dont get me started on all these bs circulars ive to catch up on. ****show.ie

Charming

I can see why this has happened in my absence, if you had as much passion as I have Icsics it would be better than being a smart arse. No wonder our government owns us, were gone so weak and getting weaker. Too P.C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

I can see why this has happened in my absence, if you had as much passion as I have Icsics it would be better than being a smart arse. No wonder our government owns us, were gone so weak and getting weaker. Too P.C

You're dead right there dalalada. We've become a bunch of spineless me feiners and only have ourselves to blame for the mess that the profession of teaching has become.

Best of luck and welcome home.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭derb12

Just out of curiosity dalalada, how does it work in the uk? You always see the teachers supervising yard etc in the school based documentaries. Is it mandatory? Are you paid extra for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

I'm not for one minute defending the rate of pay or the value of it to the pay packet, just adding other aspects to the discussion.
    From various schools around, I am hearing very few are opting out that haven't done so previously and the odd one is opting in.
    And you're right Bean Scoile, everyone should be treated fairly, both at school level and at national level. But alas, I appreciate every school is different and some will utilise this as a method to fight back at unfair school management.

For the good of the school=how long is a piece of string? Mocks corrected=good of school? Extra curricular for the good of the school? Salary cut and promotion prospects disappear to pay bankers etc? Kids not properly parented even in stable homes-thus you have to put up with their antics for the good of the school? On and on it goes.

My limit reached.

Advertisement