Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thru axle and rotors query

Options
  • 24-06-2017 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Buying a new thru axle (bolt thru) disc frameset and need wheels to go with it. Any advantages to 6 bolt or centrelock Does it matter which type I buy taking the frame into consideration. Or can I buy either and just buy rotors to suit.

Regarding the rotors, what decides whether it's 140mm or 160mm. Again is it anything to do with the frame with regards to the mounting position of the calipers.

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Muckers wrote: »
    Buying a new thru axle (bolt thru) disc frameset and need wheels to go with it. Any advantages to 6 bolt or centrelock Does it matter which type I buy taking the frame into consideration. Or can I buy either and just buy rotors to suit.

Regarding the rotors, what decides whether it's 140mm or 160mm. Again is it anything to do with the frame with regards to the mounting position of the calipers.

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

AFAIK, 6-bolt is the industry standard for rotor mounts, whereas centrelock was a Shimano hub-specific thing. I don't really think that the frame comes into it at all when it comes to how the rotor is mounted as that's all down to the hub.

As for rotor size; you need to figure out what type of frame post mounts you have, and then make sure you get a caliper mount that is suitable for the size of rotor that you want to mount. As an aside 140mm is on the small side. Which makes me think your'e asking about a road/CX bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Lemming wrote: »
    AFAIK, 6-bolt is the industry standard for rotor mounts, whereas centrelock was a Shimano hub-specific thing. I don't really think that the frame comes into it at all when it comes to how the rotor is mounted as that's all down to the hub.

As for rotor size; you need to figure out what type of frame post mounts you have, and then make sure you get a caliper mount that is suitable for the size of rotor that you want to mount. As an aside 140mm is on the small side. Which makes me think your'e asking about a road/CX bike?

Yes it's a road bike and thanks for your reply. It's helps solve the confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Centrelock are handier for changing, I have 140mm rotors on my roubaix bike and no problem stopping from 70kmph with them. It depends too on the frame whether it's post mount, I.s. Or flat mount

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

6 bolt mounts are easier to true up when they get dinged, and start rubbing against your pads.

The smaller the rotor size, the less this will happen.

Bolt thru is a fantastic system. Skewers are just for kebabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have thru axles on my Felt VR30 and the rear wheel is an absolute nightmare to get seated in the axle bed (or whatever its called) It took me nearly 10 minutes of swearing and shouting at it to get it seated after I took the wheel off to just see how it works after first getting the bike. I had to walk away and leave it and calm down otherwise the bike was going to getting the business end of an axe if I didn't. I'm dreading a rear wheel puncture on the side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

Unless you have a set of wheels in mind that are only available in 6-Bolt then I would go for Centrelock. You can fit a 6-bolt rotor to a Centrelock hub with an adapter but you can't fit a Centrelock rotor to a 6-bolt hub. The newer Shimano rotors (RT-99) are Centrelock only. As for rotor size, 140mm should be fine for the rear if its a road bike you are looking at and either 140 or 160mm at the front. The bigger rotor generates a bit more stopping power and its the front wheel that generally does the most stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

I have thru axles on my Felt VR30 and the rear wheel is an absolute nightmare to get seated in the axle bed (or whatever its called) It took me nearly 10 minutes of swearing and shouting at it to get it seated after I took the wheel off to just see how it works after first getting the bike. I had to walk away and leave it and calm down otherwise the bike was going to getting the business end of an axe if I didn't. I'm dreading a rear wheel puncture on the side of the road.

Don't quite understand what it won't sit right for you. Part of the attraction for thru axle is that it sits back in perfectly in place having removed it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Muckers wrote: »
    Don't quite understand what it won't sit right for you. Part of the attraction for thru axle is that it sits back in perfectly in place having removed it

Yeah I thought that too and I watched loads of videos thinking I was doing something wrong but it just won't slip in easily. I intend to take the rear wheel off and clean the axle and drop out (or whatever they're called) thoroughly and apply a little grease to both which might help, hopefully.

Advertisement