Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flavours of Fingal

• 24-06-2017 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

So a good day out, weather was perfect. Traffic a bit nuts heading towards Donabate, and queing for a number of the food stalls. I wonder if they pulled more of a crowd than they expected. Which is always going to be weather dependent to some degree.

A doddle to get out after 6 anyway. Properly organised. Well done Fingal CC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I was amazed of how spotless the place was, also the toilets in really good nic and sinks for washing the hands everywhere. It was huuuuge and so much to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

yeah great free family event, really well organised. It's so big now you'd nearly need two days to take it all in. Crowds well up on last year but their traffic management system worked well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    yeah great free family event, really well organised. It's so big now you'd nearly need two days to take it all in. Crowds well up on last year but their traffic management system worked well.

Took the family along today, well run, great event, nice weather for it, can't complain. Took about 30 mins to get into it from hitting Traffic on the old N1 heading up to the M1 roundabout, but thats pretty good going considering the volumes of people attending. As said above, well done Fingal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We opted to cycle in the Newbridge Avenue entrence rather than brave the traffic on the Hearse Road.

Really good day out. Well done Fingal Co Co!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Was very well organised. Parking, toilets, food...all really good. Our daughter loved all the animals. The sheep racing was hilarious. A crowd at the stage looked like they were having a great time! Very impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

From working there, and getting some info, it's estimated that 35,000 were through the gates on Saturday and almost 50,000 on Sunday. Massive crowds, and yet it didn't feel crammed.

The sheep racing was mad. :D A great laugh. There was so much going on - jousting, battle re-enactments, falconry, music, food, bouncy castles, cattle/sheep, equestrian, classic vehicles, etc ... and that's just what I can remember.

The bands in the walled garden were great. Kept everyone entertained. Great to see the kids up dancing and having fun.

Roll on next year. I'm sure it'll be bigger again. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

Late getting to this post but I really enjoyed it, great that dogs were allowed too, nice to be able to bring them along to stuff going on. Plenty to do and look at and like others said it never felt packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 talkinggal

i also enjoyed it immensely. traffic was a total nightmare but the event itself was so good we went both days. Lots for kids to do. plenty of food options, giid entertainment and then just the general park to kickc a ball around in if nothing took your fancy.

roll on next year but please sort out the traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Don't see a current thread up for this. Couldnt stay for too long but went for a couple of hours today and it echoes what posters above said about last year. Really well organized, good entertainment and food. It was nice to be able to take the dog too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Brilliant event again, and a well done to the CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Got the train this year, very handy. Serious weather for it. Am I wrong in saying It is more of an agricultural show than food event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye it was an excellent day out again this year, blessed with good weather 2 years on the trot! The new traffic scheme they had in place worked well, we got in from Swords by car in 20 mins and only took 15 to get home, well done Fingal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Didnt get there this year but great reports from people I spoke to.

The traffic is a problem and I wonder if they could not open a second temporary entry off Turvey?

Well done Fingal C.C

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,989 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Didn't go but encountered the traffic. There were what I considered crazy ways they were diverting the traffic off the motorway and causing unnecessary hold ups for anyone heading along the old N1

They were also prioritising show traffic at the Lissenhall roundabout southbound when people were leaving. When I finally got to the junction it was clear they were letting everyone off the Donabate road leaving people not attending waiting for ages

And just to add one further gripe that will ring a bell with cyclists. They had people in hI viz with stop signs holding up the traffic. I appreciate it was almost certainly with the approval of the Guards. However Fingal Gardai have made it perfectly clear that it is illegal for anyone but Gardai and school crossing "lollipop" persons to manually control any traffic

Whinge over! - I am pleased that attendees enjoyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

LeoB wrote: »
    The traffic is a problem and I wonder if they could not open a second temporary entry off Turvey?

The main entry was off Turvey, all event traffic was diverted that way.

Horrendous queues from Donabate and the beaches as event traffic was given priority on exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Traffic was a huge improvement on previous years, in that Turvey avenue was used as the entrance road, so Hearse road didn't get as clogged as before. The free bus was also handy. We used that on Saturday. Waited 30 minutes for the bus in, and about 15 minutes heading home, which isn't too bad. We had to be in Donabate on Sunday morning, so drove through, and then decided to attend again for a few hours. It was a bit of a detour driving home, but not too bad.
    The event itself was bigger and better this year. Which is why we were there again on Sunday. We didn't get round everything on Saturday. We spent too long watching the equestrian events to get round the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beasty wrote: »
    ..Gardai have made it perfectly clear that it is illegal for anyone but Gardai and school crossing "lollipop" persons to manually control any traffic.....
    Roadworks flagmen and persons in charge of animals may also control traffic.

(Animals as in herding animals - not persons taking their dog for a walk!)

Advertisement