Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pylon

Options
  • 24-06-2017 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭

I have a feeling this is the wrong forum but not sure where else it belongs.

Viewed a house today and about 15 meters from the back door was an electricity pole (picture attached).

Is this anything to be concerned about?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Only thing to be concerned about is the network guys getting access to the pole to replace it or to replace or upgrade the transformer, rare but has to happen some time. Don't build anything like decking that will stop a JCB and a truck getting to it.

Edit> If the trees grow up near the wire you'll also get a team around trimming the growth back every 4-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Not really a pylon, it looks like a 10KV line and distribution transformer. I wouldn't be overly concerned with a line of that voltage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

my3cents wrote: »
    Only thing to be concerned about is the network guys getting access to the pole to replace it or to replace or upgrade the transformer, rare but has to happen some time. Don't build anything like decking that will stop a JCB and a truck getting to it.

Edit> If the trees grow up near the wire you'll also get a team around trimming the growth back every 4-5 years.

Thanks for that. Don't think it would be too much to worry about, just worth bearing in mind if ever building a garage!

Damiencm wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Don't think it would be too much to worry about, just worth bearing in mind if ever building a garage!

If you are building and the pole is in the way I think that you can get it moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Is the pole on your property? It's a 10kv spur with a trafo feeding an L.V. group.

• Advertisement

Luckysasha wrote:
    Is the pole on your property? It's a 10kv spur with a trafo feeding an L.V. group.

Well it would be if we successful bid on the house

I'm not sure I understand your concerns. Is where the pole is sited, access for networks staff. Trees clashing with the line etc etc

Luckysasha wrote:
    I'm not sure I understand your concerns. Is where the pole is sited, access for networks staff. Trees clashing with the line etc etc

No I guess you hear stories about living next to power lines, pylons etc. granted this things seems to be fairly minor, just curious if it could be prone to say giving off a buzzing noise

Damiencm wrote: »
    No I guess you hear stories about living next to power lines, pylons etc. granted this things seems to be fairly minor, just curious if it could be prone to say giving off a buzzing noise

We have one at the bottom of the garden near the sea that does quite an impressive light show on damp nights.

Because we are near the sea salt gets deposited on the insulators and you get blue flashes when its damp.

I ask the linesman about it and they said not to worry its common near the sea.

Any equipment near the sea is classed as "coastal" it's basically made and insulated to a higher spec to save it from the harshness of weather coming in from the sea.
    Wouldn't worry about noise from the trafo. By your pic it's a 15 KVA so most likely it's only feeding your house. And as there are no HV fuses fitted to the trafo I assume it's fused where the spur is off the backbone line so even if the fuses blew the lads wouldn't need to access your property to change them

• Advertisement
Advertisement