Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running but getting slower

• 25-06-2017 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, bit of background I hope you can help as I'm very frustrated at this stage.

I've done 4 marathons and getting slower rather than faster. My first was 4:30 and I finished one yesterday at 5:20. I've had a few niggly injuries in between for the middle 2 but I felt good going into the last one and thought I could break the 4:30 but as per usual at around mile 20 my hamstrings and calves started to tighten and I ended up walking the last 6 miles. I'm not sure if it's diet or lack of training causing this?

In the run up to the marathon yesterday I did two half marathons and finished 2 hours for both but given the amount of running I do I think that's pretty pathetic and embarrassing.

I guess I'm just not training or eating correct so I'm hoping for some guidance from the experienced runners here. While walking the last 6 miles I swore it was my last Marathon but now I want to take a week off and attack the Dublin marathon and break 4 hours.

So my training for my previous marathons was basically the Hal higdon novice 1 and my diet was pretty much non existent as in I ate and drank what I want. Im approx 1 stone over weight. I think if I'm being honest I followed the plan but never over exerted myself so my pace was too slow and never improving.

I want to leave no stone unturned this time. I want to overhaul my diet ( any resources for a basic runners diet greatly appreaciated) and a plan I should try. I saw the Meno plan on another thread and it looks good but should I work in some plyometicrs, strength training in too?

Sorry for the long post but I'm disillusioned at the minute so hoping someone out there can help. I want to spend this week planning the next 17 weeks on paper and committing fully to it.

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to read my ramblings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭julyjane

Breaking 4 hours in DCM sounds a bit ambitious. Some people are good runners but not necessarily fast. Would pushing yourself yesterday have been a possible cause for the hamstring trouble you experienced yesterday?

If I was in your shoes I would consider some 1 to 1 training with a good coach, if I could afford it. It's not cheap but neither are injuries and a few sessions would pay dividends in terms of improved technique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Look into your S&C, stretching, foam rolling, running form etc. Your muscles are probably tightening up in a big way, hence injury niggles, cramping, etc. There could be imbalances or running technique issues overloading certain muscle groups too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

What is your average weekly mileage? Before diet, strength training or coaching are even considered you should sort out the training. Strength and conditioning is over stated running is conditioning for running. If you are walking at 20 your endurance is weak and you need more miles and a solid base of long runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

What is your average weekly mileage? Before diet, strength training or coaching are even considered you should sort out the training. Strength and conditioning is over stated running is conditioning for running. If you are walking at 20 your endurance is weak and you need more miles and a solid base of long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CareerAdvice

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't really pushing myself yesterday, I felt fine and was compfortably on course for 4:30 then just at 20 miles cramp set in and I had to ease up, energy levels were fine and injurys are fine lately too, it's just the cramp on the day.

I think having a good read of the marathon improvers thread and finding a better plan might be just what I need. Getting a decent stretching, S&C and foam rolling along with diet could be what I need.

I think it's simple but you've hit the nail on the head ultrapercy. I have just worked out the weekly average on the novice 1 plan and it's 23 a week. Not sure what I expected doing a marathon when I was previously I wasn't even doing one a week. I never checked it before just assumed it was a decent plan. What would be a good average weekly mileage runners do?

I'll go back to the drawing board and read the marathon improvers thread. At least I have some kind of a base having complete a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Do you do all your training at the same pace and if so what pace is that?
    Do you do any marathon pace miles in your training, any faster/interval stuff?
    If you could make the step up to p+d 55 mile plan I reckon you'd definitely see an improvement.
    Jumping straight in to another marathon training cycle a week after the last Marathon wouldn't be something I'd be too keen on doing but best of luck with it anyway.

I literally just ran at a comfortable pace, whatever that was on the day. Usually around 6-6:30km. Almost a lazy pace I suppose which was the perhaps the problem. I focused more on miles in the legs but I think I should have focused on speed to an extent.

No speed or interval training just trudge through the mileage on the novice 1 plan.

I was looking at that one or the meno plan, not sure which is better or I'd be more suited too but I'm beginning to realise I was under prepared in all aspects

Edit: the odd day when a 3mile was planned I would run at max pace which was around 27mins. I really want to get this down to low 20s along with the marathon time, all round just get faster and fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Why don't you take yourself over to the DCM novice thread and join in there, I know you've done 4 marathons but it's a great place to learn about everything from nutrition to paces to plans. To be honest I think the meno plan is possibly too big a jump from hal higdon 1. You would need to be running 30 + miles a week for a few months before taking that on. The boards novice plan might be perfect though as it has a few different types of runs and decent mileage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't really pushing myself yesterday, I felt fine and was compfortably on course for 4:30 then just at 20 miles cramp set in and I had to ease up, energy levels were fine and injurys are fine lately too, it's just the cramp on the day.

By yesterday you mean Viking Waterford Marathon ?

I'll consider the novice thread thanks. I feel I could do a slightly harder plan though but I'll check them out first.

Yes it was the Viking marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I'll consider the novice thread thanks. I feel I could do a slightly harder plan though but I'll check them out first.

The boards plan is harder than hal higdon and is mostly used by people who have a good mileage base and are not brand new to running. The worst thing you can do now is jump to far to fast. Build on what you have most definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Dont be too hard on yourself. Conditions where pretty brutal, I was pacing and struggled badly to hold the pace in the heat.

Hi all, sorry for not getting back sooner, thanks for all the advice offered it was appreciated.

I ended up following the meno plan for DCM 2017 . finished it comfortably in 4:02 . Not quite breaking the 4 I'd planned but over 1 hour quicker than my last one and beating my personal best by 30 mins.

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

That's brilliant, well done CA.

Advertisement