Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer/Autumn Mart Trade 17'

• 25-06-2017 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Thought it might be useful to start a thread where people can mention prices they got/saw for Store lambs,Hoggetts,Ewes,Factory bound lambs in Marts from now on.
    With the busy World farmers live in now the first Mart some lads go to each Summer is one they are selling stock in!....so this thread might give people an idea of trade.
    March lambing flock here so won't be showing any store lambs until around second week in July.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Sold 40 Suffolk x ram store lambs for a neighbour in Dowra yday,no weighing there ,but would be 36/37 kg approx,well started,first pen strongest...86 euro,2nd pen....83.50.Trade strongest for lambs with Suffolk breeding,Texel and cross bred lambs harder sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Due to circumstances won't get to sell any lambs for at least another week....Trade for all classes of lambs seems encouraging anyway with plenty of farmer buyers with aftergrass needing lambs to eat it.A neighbour got 110 euro for fat cull ewes the other day....wonder where that is ending up!?

Was hoping more people would post trade reports from marts as you need to have seen lambs before commenting on them,rather than just going on Newspaper reports on trade imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Not been Mart recently but few dealers have been ringing offering me €55 + weight for lambs dono if thats good or bad according till marts? Think hes more looking for 35kg lambs tl export which wud be €90.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Lambman wrote: »
    Not been Mart recently but few dealers have been ringing offering me €55 + weight for lambs dono if thats good or bad according till marts? Think hes more looking for 35kg lambs tl export which wud be €90.

Be a very good price,good 35kg lamb would make around 80-85 around here,did I read before your from Donegal too?

IH784man wrote: »
    Lambman wrote: »

Be a very good price,good 35kg lamb would make around 80-85 around here,did I read before your from Donegal too?
    Yea I am.... 35kg was the lightest he took off me and he picked them himself I had the 40-45kg lambs pre marked b4 he came...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Pm me the dealers name if you wouldn't mind

Was in Manorhamilton mart today,full of stores,not many fat lambs,factory Lamb back 3 or 4 euro on this day week.Quality forward stores a good enough trade but average quality light mountain type lambs around 30kg weren't making much.
    Weren't many of them in it but anyway nice ewe Lamb (for breeding) was making from 85 euro to 104 regardless of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

Was in Manorhamilton mart today,full of stores,not many fat lambs,factory Lamb back 3 or 4 euro on this day week.Quality forward stores a good enough trade but average quality light mountain type lambs around 30kg weren't making much.
    Weren't many of them in it but anyway nice ewe Lamb (for breeding) was making from 85 euro to 104 regardless of weight.

What was a nice texel/ Charolais ewe lamb making 35-40 kilos

cattle man wrote: »
    What was a nice texel/ Charolais ewe lamb making 35-40 kilos

They weren't in it today!....bulk of lambs in Manorhamilton would either be Suffolk x,Texel x or brocket (sprickly face) type lambs,only lambs with Charolais breeding in them you might see would usually be fat lambs for killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

What the mountain lamb around 30 kg making? Decidin to finish or sell here!

• Advertisement

Ard_MC wrote: »
    What the mountain lamb around 30 kg making? Decidin to finish or sell here!

They were getting it very tight to get into 50 euro.

A neighbour was in Coolaney Mart (West Sligo) yday...said heavier lambs were a great trade....up 7 or 8 euro on the midweek prices he had seen in Manorhamilton...hard to know why lambs would be up that much?...he heard factories were mad looking for lambs and were giving 5.30. on Friday!

Anyone confirm if that's true re factories?...the same man would not always be a reliable source!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Got a text on Friday looking for lambs but the price wasn't anything special.

I reckon the lads doing the live export are the cause of this boost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Got €79 for 39Kg lambs on Saturday. Bit disappointed, I thought they would be heavier. Then I got €115 for a couple of heavy cull ewes. Was happy with that.

Taking the remainder off the ram lambs on Saturday till mart pen off 6 avg 42kg and pen off 6 avg 35kg what should I be expecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Sami23

44kgs made 98euro. All clean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sold 12 speckled ewe lambs 52kg 121e

Bought 20 hoggetts ,half speckled, half blacks for 174

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Sold 12 speckled ewe lambs 52kg 121e

Bought 20 hoggetts ,half speckled, half blacks for 174

Got 120 here at home for 40 ewe lambs last week, Thought it wasn't enough, I got 107 home for their male comrades in the factory the same week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

rangler1 wrote: »
    Got 120 here at home for 40 ewe lambs last week, Thought it wasn't enough, I got 107 home for their male comrades in the factory the same week

Vendeen?

Willfarman wrote: »
    Vendeen?

Ewe lambs were leyn/texel cross , factory lambs were the same with a few vendeens

• Advertisement

rangler1 wrote: »

What weight are they. Probably mightn't of paid to keep the ewe lambs this year .but wasn't bad for them ewe lambs we sold this evening a few whose mother wouldn't have been in my favourites

What weight are they. Probably mightn't of paid to keep the ewe lambs this year .but wasn't bad for them ewe lambs we sold this evening a few whose mother wouldn't have been in my favourites

Didn't weigh them but they'd be the same as the factory lambs 46kg+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

They were good lambs but I'd say their male comrades didn't leave any more even allowing for a bit extra in feed costs.

That said whoever bought them it sounds like they got good value. The hoggets you bought don't sound too dear either though if they're fairly good ones.

They were good lambs but I'd say their male comrades didn't leave any more even allowing for a bit extra in feed costs.

That said whoever bought them it sounds like they got good value. The hoggets you bought don't sound too dear either though if they're fairly good ones.
    Them ewe lambs got clik, and about 2 or 3 more doses than their males, it don't be long adding up the few euos and the males were probably hundred and ten uowards or so?
    As a group they're good sheep but about 3 that I ament too happy about.

Some lads at the mart don't want to stop and then when you think you've ten bought the lad won't sell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Them ewe lambs got clik, and about 2 or 3 more doses than their males, it don't be long adding up the few euos and the males were probably hundred and ten uowards or so?
    As a group they're good sheep but about 3 that I ament too happy about.

Some lads at the mart don't want to stop and then when you think you've ten bought the lad won't sell!

It does add up alright. You probably were as well off with the €110 so.

Some lads at the mart you'd wonder why they bother going to the mart at all. I've seen lads bring sheep home for the sake of maybe €2 and generally what they were being bid wasn't a bad price on the night anyway.

Sold 8 speckled ewe lambs today
    124e . was offered 102e 2 weeks ago in different mart. Would of been 49~50 kilos, theyre not weighed at mart.

124e . was offered 102e 2 weeks ago in different mart. Would of been 49~50 kilos, theyre not weighed at mart.

Ewe lambs suitable for breeding have jumped up in price the last week or so for some reason....reality is a lot of the best ewe lambs are gone / sold a few weeks ago so ewe lambs bought in next few weeks might turn out to be dear stock.

Ewe lambs suitable for breeding have jumped up in price the last week or so for some reason....reality is a lot of the best ewe lambs are gone / sold a few weeks ago so ewe lambs bought in next few weeks might turn out to be dear stock.

Typical,we have 110 ewe lambs sold at this stage €115 - €120....should've waited.
    Have 25 smashing ewe lambs kept, Their grandmothers, their mothers and themselves were all twins themselves so their prolificacy will be interesting, they also had above average weight gains themselve to weaning for the flock, should be a great little base for a new flock, the rest of the new flock are just culls from the sale

• Advertisement

Cant understand it myself

Advertisement