Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Clare's monastery

Options
  • 25-06-2017 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering is it open to the public on Sundays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

http://www.poorclares.ie/qa.html
    I'm not sure if it's open to the public like a tourist attraction would be. It's a convent where a closed order of nuns live and work. See their website and Facebook for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

http://www.poorclares.ie/qa.html
    I'm not sure if it's open to the public like a tourist attraction would be. It's a convent where a closed order of nuns live and work. See their website and Facebook for more information.

Thanks for the reply, the opening hours are not on their Facebook or website, they meet members of the public from 9.30 to 5.30 mon to sat, I am just not sure about Sunday's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You can probably go and knock on the door if you feel you really need prayer or some sort of help. I think that's generally the only thing they meet people for or interact with the public about. I don't think they'd turn you away if you had some need that couldn't wait. Someone mentioned them recently in conversation and I was surprised to hear that they're often quite busy for those purposes still.
    Hope all is ok x

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is mass in their chapel every day at 8am it's built so the public can attend in a separate part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Amazed to hear they are still going after so many orders are closing down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

nuac wrote: »
    Amazed to hear they are still going after so many orders are closing down

What orders have closed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Funnily I was asking someone about them today after seeing this thread. Apparently not only are they very busy with the public but they have young nuns joining too more frequently than other orders. I imagine it's one or two a year now, not hordes knocking their doors down but it seems they have a few nuns in their 30s/40s. Also they're so busy with people coming to ask for prayers that they have volunteers there during the day to open the door to callers and speak with them until a nun can talk to them.
    Whodda thunk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Their chapel is small and intimate. You can get a mass said for those who have passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What orders have closed down?
    For instance the Blackrock Carmelites but let's stay on topic of opening hours.

There is a Christianity forum if someone wants to discuss the orders specifically.

Advertisement