Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doughnut shops everywhere!

Options
  • 25-06-2017 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Guess what guys?! There's another donut place. XD

Sticky fingers, next to Costa across from the Opera House. Popped in, had a boston creme. Same as all the other places, definitely not made in shop. Might be a good location though, so close to 2 coffee places.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

nerwen wrote: »

Sticky fingers, next to Costa across from the Opera House. Popped in, had a boston creme. Same as all the other places, definitely not made in shop. Might be a good location though, so close to 2 coffee places.

Thats 6 now !!!!!!.

We are going mad with donuts at the moment !!!!.

There Like the E cig and Head shops of years ago !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,490 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wouldn't like to be approaching my bank manager with a great business idea. A donut shop at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Thats 6 now !!!!!!.

We are going mad with donuts at the moment !!!!.

There Like the E cig and Head shops of years ago !!!

haven't managed to try any of them yet.

Is there one that stands out or are they all much of muchness ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

There was an interesting article in the Irish Times this week about the popularity of doughnuts. At this stage, unless you have something very different up your sleeve, you'd be mad to open a doughnut shop in Cork. It isn't big enough for all that competition. In Dublin, Offbeat is expanding and opening new shops pretty regularly, but no new brands have opened. The market is saturated and like Cork, Dublin isn't big enough to handle that level of competition.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/peak-doughnut-when-will-the-craving-end-1.3125470?mode=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

All things realated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

As far as I know there all bought in doughnuts with a topping put on. Nothing special at all.

Go to likes of central roachestown top class cakes there. All made from scratch and fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I've tried... most I think? The shack, oh my donut, sticky fingers, huckleberrys and that one by the Roundy.

Only one I've gone back for is a cinnamon sugar at the Shack, the rest have been way too overboard for me with toppings and/or fillings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ali's Kitchen makes her own in house.

The likes of Huckleberrys is a gimmick and were it not for his very strong social media presence he would be circling the drain.

gimmick wrote: »
    Ali's Kitchen makes her own in house.

The likes of Huckleberrys is a gimmick and were it not for his very strong social media presence he would be circling the drain.

I said in the other thread that i seen they have started to move into order markets like milk shakes and iced coffees as the donut sales must be slowing down as i am like why do we need so many of these places ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I tried the coffee donut in the shack and was amazing.

competition drives prices down normally but they all have exact same pricing.

And they're very over priced at 3 euro.

My guess so far is The Shack will win out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Huckleberrys were doing brilliant trade off their, IMO, sub-standard doughnuts for a while until the Shack opened up and forced Huckleberrys to bring their prices down and their quality up, I still prefer the Shack and its location is a lot easier to get too if youre in and around town but ya, everywhere you turn now a days is a bloody doughnut shop. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

2 shops within 5 minutes of my office in Dublin with another opening soon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

At least the doughnut shops are sort of a novelty shop and a bit different, the coffee shop implosion here is much more annoying imo. I know there's the 'jobs' argument, which is a bit easy to be honest, but it's cheapened the city a bit imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

2 shops within 5 minutes of my office in Dublin with another opening soon

20 in Dublin city, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Big money in doughnuts isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Must be the latest fad.

No wonder I see so many lardy children waddling around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

nerwen wrote: »

They come in from an outside bakery as plain doughnuts for around 30c a piece.
    A bit a decorating and sugar, 3 euro please. They're nice but that price is inexcusable.

A cream-doughnut or eclair made fresh in my local bakery is only 1.70

They come in from an outside bakery as plain doughnuts for around 30c a piece.
    A bit a decorating and sugar, 3 euro please. They're nice but that price is inexcusable.

A cream-doughnut or eclair made fresh in my local bakery is only 1.70

Thats business for you. Try to make as much money as you can.

Like you do know pizza if you say a Italian place that makes there own everything expect the cheese it costs at most 80c with toppings as the profit on pizza is crazy and way worse then donuts same with pasta you can make its so cheap.

Also making pizza balls is way easyer and less time then donuts as all you need to do is add everything to a large mixer add everything in stages to it leave it mix. Then leave it set put into a bag and then make into dough balls and leave them set so much easyer to make when you think of the mark up on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ya, the whole price thing. Internet people everywhere seem to hate either spending money, people making profits, or both.

The market seems to have been tested at €3 and it is working, so get over it. People seem to not realise that in order to open a business you must have staff paid, rates paid, insurance paid, themselves paid etc.

Its like giving out to the Lennox family for charging €2.40 for a bag of chips when the raw material costs approx €0.20c.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Supervalue in glanmire has old fashioned deep-fried doughnuts.. Plain or jam... And they're good... I think they make them in house..
    . . So far I'm unimpressed with the doughnut shop offerings... Thick gloops of fondant icing (not glazed) and the doughnuts are very cake like (so they'll keep).. And 3 euros a pop..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Huckleberrys were doing brilliant trade off their, IMO, sub-standard doughnuts for a while until the Shack opened up and forced Huckleberrys to bring their prices down and their quality up, I still prefer the Shack and its location is a lot easier to get too if youre in and around town but ya, everywhere you turn now a days is a bloody doughnut shop. :o

Don't think Huckleberrys have brought prices down. The quality has gone up I would say in that they're trying hard to provide different types of tastes such as the Rebel Chilli collaboration, iced coffees & milkshakes but as somebody has mentioned, lots of the stuff is overkill - the one with the syringe sticking out of it is particularly gimmicky but that's just me.
    Must be the latest fad.

No wonder I see so many lardy children waddling around the place.

They didn't get lardy in the last 6 months, don't think you can blame a nationwide health issue on one particular business type. It is a reflection on our culture right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

D'Agger wrote: »
    Don't think Huckleberrys have brought prices down. The quality has gone up I would say in that they're trying hard to provide different types of tastes such as the Rebel Chilli collaboration, iced coffees & milkshakes but as somebody has mentioned, lots of the stuff is overkill - the one with the syringe sticking out of it is particularly gimmicky but that's just me.

I havent been to Huckleberrys in about 3 months, I think it was 4 or 4.50 for a doughnut, someone in work said they had dropped their prices to 3 euro in recent times. Could be wrong, I havent been so was going off that info.

There is a serious markup to be made but the market in Cork is well and truly saturated as it is.

gimmick wrote: »
    There is a serious markup to be made but the market in Cork is well and truly saturated as it is.

Unless the builders get a taste for the doughnuts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

But what I would hate to see is lots of doughnut shops opening up in the suburbs and all of the doughnut shops in the city centre closing. There's a name for that kind of phenomenon (?) and happens quite a lot in the United States of America...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I havent been to Huckleberrys in about 3 months, I think it was 4 or 4.50 for a doughnut, someone in work said they had dropped their prices to 3 euro in recent times. Could be wrong, I havent been so was going off that info.

They're €3 alright...fairly certain they've always been that price though since I would have gone in there early enough, been back once or twice and actually tried one of their milkshakes last week. Think that's the price around the city anyway - as Gimmick was saying - the price point seems to have found it's level alright.

€4.50 for a doughnut and I'd be forced to laugh...doughnutless...walking out the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Remember the good old days when you could get freshly made little doughnuts in the hole in the wall place by the Gingerbread House for maybe 1 Euro or 1.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

bee06 wrote: »
    Remember the good old days when you could get freshly made little doughnuts in the hole in the wall place by the Gingerbread House for maybe 1 Euro or 1.50.

they were unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

4 doughnuts, either ring or jam for EUR1.50 in M&S are far nicer IMO than any of the elaborate new ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Total **** food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Passed Oh my Doughnut today who had a sign of "Just another f%%king Doughnut shop".

Advertisement