Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doughnut shops everywhere!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Got a few out of Oh My Donut Saturday. Very nice. Far nicer than Huckleberrys. But Alis still the standard bearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,660 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

3 euros for a doughnut is a complete rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

New one!.
    Sticky Fingers gone into where The Dressing Room was on Emmett Place, by Costa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

That's a relief. We went a few days without a new donut shop opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

competition can only be good for the doughnut market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

competition can only be good for the doughnut market

Yeah there are enough healthy places to eat,
    We need this sh1t

To push maximum density it's the place to eat

> way to obecity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Competition doesn't seem to be doing much to bring down prices, think we're up to six in the city centre now?

I got one from sticky fingers last weekend, it was nice and while I agree they're expensive at €3 each, a fiver for a coffee and a cake is probably reasonable enough compared to most cafes in town. I sat at one of the small tables outside, oh my donut has my vote so far though for having indoor seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stilllooking

Oh my donut is my own favorite (convenient to me and I think they taste nicer then the shack's) but the drawback for them is they're closed on a Sunday, and their loyalty cards require they get stamped 9 times before getting the freebie, and the shack's only need 8, and the shack will also stamp for the coffee, so you'll get a free donut after 4 visits to the shack getting a coffee and donut, but you'd need to go to OMD 9 times. I haven't tried ali's or huckleberries yet, Huckleberries is a trek tbh. Cream doesn't actually look that appealing at all to me just having passed by it a few times.

I think many of these places might be open with the short term in mind, i don't think it would take much to convert one into a sandwich shop or café tbh. They seems to be outfitted simply enough, just some basic furniture which would be multi purpose or even sold off, equipment easily sold second hand like coffee machines, some basic branding etc and a 1 or 2 year lease and you have a long term pop up, closeable with a few weeks notice like if the donut trade falls off I'd say many of these operators could pack up without being hit too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I have had them all withe girlfriend

Cream is nope from both of us we did not like there donuts and poor mix in there
    Sticky Fingers the same there is notting in the middle of the donut at all like a bite and thats it.
    Huckbuarrys can be nice depends on what you get now pain in the ass to get to from town.
    The stack only donut we have put in the bin as they where that bad.
    Oh my donut to me is the perfect donut not to big perfect filling and i love there peanut butter one.
    Elis nice donut but to much filling in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Big money in doughnuts isn't there?

It used to be in the banana stand but that burnt down.

I think the Shack is the best of them - they were the only ones to do a decent Boston creme. the coffee is not good though. I'm interested in Ali's Kitchen now as I didn't realise they made donuts.

Huckleberry's: dry.
    OMD: dry
    The one by the opera house: dry

They all seem to come from the same kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Is it true that doughnuts are deep fried in those deep fat fryers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

2forjoy wrote: »
    Is it true that doughnuts are deep fried in those deep fat fryers ?

Yes. Donuts are a deep fried product. Always has been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Yes. Donuts are a deep fried product. Always has been
    Yip. Made a few myself at home some time ago, always deep fried. Easy to do if you don't mind a bit of kneading. I prefer less sugar on mine, so tended to make them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Yip. Made a few myself at home some time ago, always deep fried. Easy to do if you don't mind a bit of kneading. I prefer less sugar on mine, so tended to make them myself.

i made a batch there recently

worked out at 3 euro each with all the toppings

Advertisement