Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CDKeys reselling keys

Options
  • 25-06-2017 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone experienced CDKeys reselling their keys and what was the outcome?

I've had an Xbox Gold 12 month key that I delayed using until I wanted it, and it says it was already redeemed.

Xbox support said it was redeemed last year, although when I initially tested the key it was fine, so it must have been resold.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's the risk of the grey market seller unfortunately, you might just have to chalk it up to experience. That said, I had a bad time trying to get stolen XBox Points retrieved after my account was hacked, Microsoft were less than helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

mrcheez wrote: »
    Anyone experienced CDKeys reselling their keys and what was the outcome?

I've had an Xbox Gold 12 month key that I delayed using until I wanted it, and it says it was already redeemed.

Xbox support said it was redeemed last year, although when I initially tested the key it was fine, so it must have been resold.

Have you contacted CDKeys? Could be a mistake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've bought legit psn currency and had the code already used. Might not even be the resellers fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

EoinHef wrote: »
    Have you contacted CDKeys? Could be a mistake

yeah, just wondering what others have experienced. Hope to hear back from them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I think I got a GOG key from them once which I couldn't activate due to GOG putting a lock on key redemption because of a huge influx of 'illegitate' keys being redeemed. I just waited for the lock to lift and it worked but I'll still probably not buy from there again without hesitation. I don't buy a whole load of games these days anyway and when I do they're often on sales from legit retailers. I go to the publisher's site directly and see what they recommend by asking them. Feral Interactive reccomend buying from their store if you want to support them and Screen 7 recommends Humble but has direct purchase options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Get onto them, cdkeys support have always been really helpful anytime I've needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

You just have to let them know. However I am not sure how it will looks given that you didn't attempt to redeem it when you bought it.

For future reference Xbox Live membership stacks so you can always redeem Xbox codes whenever you have them and it will extend your current membership.

Good luck with CDkeys. I find their support is very good.

You just have to let them know. However I am not sure how it will looks given that you didn't attempt to redeem it when you bought it.

For future reference Xbox Live membership stacks so you can always redeem Xbox codes whenever you have them and it will extend your current membership.

Good luck with CDkeys. I find their support is very good.

I didn't want to redeem the key until I found a Game with Gold that I wanted.

I don't play online any longer, so Games with Gold was the only reason I wanted the membership.

I got a response from them which was less than satisfactory (not addressing the issue of how someone else got my key), the response was "sorry we can't do anything once the key is redeemed".
    I also specifically asked them at the time if I could redeem the key at a later date in a year or so and they said "yes no problem" so I have a record of that conversation.

My question was "did they have a record of selling the same key twice". They probably don't, but I'll see how far I can take it.

I don't think someone could get the key by guessing it could they? It has been in a secure location that only I have access to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's happened to me before where the key I bought was already used. Usually get my keys from playasia. They look for proof I can't enter it then check with sony when it was redeemed and if it doesn't match up then they send my money back. It's happened twice for me.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's happened to me before where the key I bought was already used. Usually get my keys from playasia. They look for proof I can't enter it then check with sony when it was redeemed and if it doesn't match up then they send my money back. It's happened twice for me.

aye.. problem in my case is that the key was redeemed AFTER I purchased it, so from CDKeys' side they don't have any idea if it was me or anyone else.

As far as they are concerned the key was only sent out once from their side (they followed up on my 2nd question).

Xbox have shown interest in the case. It may well be that the other account that used the key is flagged for other issues... so I'll update here if anything comes of it.

As it stands I reckon I can take it as a lesson to not use the site again (unless I intend to use the key that day!). It's possible CDKeys was hacked and some keys got out, but it just never reached the headlines...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No hacking needed, just grey-market resellers aren't trustworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

"cdkeys are legit" I've heard a lot on here

They aren't, as I've pointed out oodles of times, they are key resellers, just like the rest of them.... g2a, Kinguin etc

Maybe the support is good with them, but sure the support is good on my pirated IPTV provider also... :)

Tbh i havent seen anyone on boards claiming CDKeys are legit.

Think its pretty well known at this point they are a reseller

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they are just more reliable than some others but I still activate my key as soon as possible on the off chance that something happens like mrcheez's situation

So you reckon the company that sources the keys just sold it on again to a different re-seller?

So you reckon the company that sources the keys just sold it on again to a different re-seller?

Could be the case,could also be the case that CDKeys sold it again. No way to know really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

how would they know to sell it on again or if they sell on keys again in the hope that the user hasn't activated it and they can refund the second user if it has
    You would hear more anecdotal stories about that, is there a soft way of testing to see if a key hasn't been activated?

Skerries wrote: »
    how would they know to sell it on again or if they sell on keys again in the hope that the user hasn't activated it and they can refund the second user if it has
    You would hear more anecdotal stories about that, is there a soft way of testing to see if a key hasn't been activated?

Yup, when u enter the key it gives a summary of what it does before you activate it (on Xbox 360 anyway) and you can select OK or Cancel .

That's how I knew the key was OK when I initially bought it and not OK when I tried at the weekend.

Could be the case,could also be the case that CDKeys sold it again. No way to know really.

CD keys claim that specific key was only sent out once, so its possible the problem is with their supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Reading this thread I remembered I had a code for an Xbox game I hadn't redeemed about a year and a half ago, I just redeemed it and it worked :)

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    Reading this thread I remembered I had a code for an Xbox game I hadn't redeemed about a year and a half ago, I just redeemed it and it worked :)

Well for some ;)

As an update on this...

- CDKeys claim the key was only sent once
    - Microsoft claim the key was only generated once

When I asked who supplies CDKeys with the codes they aren't responding, so it's more than likely their supplier is the company who re-issued my key.

I'd say they do this with all keys so buyer beware, be sure to use your key the instant you buy it (even if it's from Microsoft)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

As an update on this...

- CDKeys claim the key was only sent once
    - Microsoft claim the key was only generated once

When I asked who supplies CDKeys with the codes they aren't responding, so it's more than likely their supplier is the company who re-issued my key.

I'd say they do this with all keys so buyer beware, be sure to use your key the instant you buy it (even if it's from Microsoft)

Not trying to be rude but why do you care where they get the codes from?

I don't understand why you think they should give you this information

rafi bomb wrote: »
    Not trying to be rude but why do you care where they get the codes from?

I don't understand why you think they should give you this information

I wanted to know if they got it direct from Microsoft, which would then mean they definitely re-sold it and I'd chase it further.

As it stands they said they only sold it once, and I believe them, thus the only conclusion would be that *they* have a re-seller that they get the keys from who must sell onto other sites, and I suspect this is the company that found my unused key and re-used it.

Advertisement