Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The EFL Thread 2017/2018 - Championship/League 1/League 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Watching the Derby vs Bristol City game at the moment. Quick question springs to mind though. What is it with Richard Keogh? The fella always looks absolutely wrecked. Does he have some underlying ailment that I haven't heard about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Northampton have signed 10 players this transfer window. Chucking the money around. Only 50% desperation, unbeaten in four.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Huge win for Birmingham last night, puts them outside the relegation places. I was dubious of the appointment of Steve Cotterill but the team does seem to finally be improving. Hopefully can put together a bit of a run to pull clear of the bottom 3. Am prepared for my optimism to be swiftly crushed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Unfortunately Burton are looking doomed at this stage. Haven’t won at home since September, their away form is the only thing keeping them in touch for now but that can’t last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Wolves only 3 points ahead at the top now. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Paully D wrote: »
    Wolves only 3 points ahead at the top now. :eek:

Jesus imagine Warnock in the pl again!

Mick McCarthy is leaving Ipswich at the end of the season, few teams might well think he's a safe pair of hands in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

What the fcuk was Keogh thinking of there? Did he not see Fletcher in the centre of the pitch there? Dreadful mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

John O'Shea scores for the first time in 4 years on his 250th appearance for Sunderland,

assisted by his Brother Rick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Cardiff miss 2 injury time penalties to lose 1-0 v wolves,who virtually guarantee themselves promotion,but the carry on of warnock is priceless. PS : wolves manager ran onto pitch and forgot to shake hands after game,Warnock really comes across as an ass hole all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Cardiff miss 2 injury time penalties to lose 1-0 v wolves,who virtually guarantee themselves promotion,but the carry on of warnock is priceless. PS : wolves manager ran onto pitch and forgot to shake hands after game,Warnock really comes across as an ass hole all the time

Can't stand Warncock and his barbaric hoofball and never-ending whingeing - please anyone come up bar Cardiff - Delighted for Wolves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

thebaz wrote: »
    Can't stand Warncock and his barbaric hoofball and never-ending whingeing - please anyone come up bar Cardiff - Delighted for Wolves

he is a horrible piece of work, was it after the citeh cup game he said pep is in england now and should not be complaining after his players tried to kick them off the pitch, sour grapes last night as well.

p.s. does he get his eyebrows plucked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I have family who are Fulham fans. They are on an amazing run, W18 D1 and they won again today away to Wednesday. They've closed the gap to Cardiff to two points. Cardiff have to play Villa away next Tuesday and they still have to go to Derby away also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How can you not love Mick McCarthy the way he quit last night was brilliant it was perfect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Quite fond of Fulham the last time they were up, Hodgson era apart.

Are they just on a very long hot run or are they good enough to survive if they go up..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

dfx- wrote: »
    Quite fond of Fulham the last time they were up, Hodgson era apart.

Are they just on a very long hot run or are they good enough to survive if they go up..

Why did you not like the Hodgson era at Fulham? That was their best period in the PL. They have some very good players and the football I've seen has been PL quality. They are unbeaten in 19 games, winning 15 or 16 of those. You have to be a very good team, even at Championship level to do that. Cairney is West Ham bound, apparently and one of the big boys is going to go in for Sessegnon. If Fulham can convince both of them to stay, keep Jokanovic and get in four or five PL level squad players, they'll stay up. Fulham is a lovely part of London to live in, so they'll attract players easily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ruben Neves with a beaut for Wolves tonight. 2-0 v Derby as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Reuben Neves just outdone that tonight !

Northampton destined for League Two it seems. Wretched season with very large squad of overpaid, disinterested players on long contracts.

• Advertisement

Congratulations to Accrington Stanley for getting promoted. Fantastic job the board and manager has done there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Berserker wrote: »
    Why did you not like the Hodgson era at Fulham? That was their best period in the PL. They have some very good players and the football I've seen has been PL quality. They are unbeaten in 19 games, winning 15 or 16 of those. You have to be a very good team, even at Championship level to do that. Cairney is West Ham bound, apparently and one of the big boys is going to go in for Sessegnon. If Fulham can convince both of them to stay, keep Jokanovic and get in four or five PL level squad players, they'll stay up. Fulham is a lovely part of London to live in, so they'll attract players easily enough.

I enjoyed them most in their first few years with Malbranque, Legwinski, Boa Morte, Saha and Van Der Sar etc.
    Congratulations to Accrington Stanley for getting promoted. Fantastic job the board and manager has done there.

I saw them trounce Coventry back in February, they are a very solid side. Well worth top spot.

Having seen their manager employ archaic tactics at Sligo a few years back (starting a game playing a tall centre back upfront and strikers on the wings), I was surprised about how effective they were. Their right winger looks a great player at that level.

dfx- wrote: »

I saw them trounce Coventry back in February, they are a very solid side. Well worth top spot.

Having seen their manager employ archaic tactics at Sligo a few years back (starting a game playing a tall centre back upfront and strikers on the wings), I was surprised about how effective they were. Their right winger looks a great player at that level.

League Two is a war of attrition for most teams, particularly those with no resources. Any way to get out is a good way. They'll struggle in League One as there is a genuine step up in quality (still not great but much better) but they won't worry about that this season I'm sure.

Joey Barton to take over at Fleetwood Town once his betting ban ends. Stupid stUNT appointment if ever there was one. Yes, I said Stunt.

Leeds United have announced they are going on a pre season tour of Myanmar :eek:

Seriously how fcuked up is that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Leeds United have announced they are going on a pre season tour of Myanmar :eek:

Seriously how fcuked up is that.

I reckon someone threw a dart at the map on the wall to decide where they would go, its the only explanation really. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Surprisingly Derby are playing well !! Cardiff had a blantant handball penalty denied.

Another disappointing season for us long suffering Derby fans !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

In the real big game of the night, Cardiff have made an absolute balls of it and are now loosing 3-1.

All 3 goals for Derby were gifts by the Cardiff Defence. Ah the look on Neil Warnocks face :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Chris Coleman sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Chris Coleman sacked.

This whole episode should give Gerrard pause for thought. Sunderland, like Rangers, were facing problems on and off the pitch and many knew Coleman taking this on was a huge gamble; the outcome has resulted in Coleman's stock in the game plummeting. He won't get a job in the Premier League any time soon whereas he might have got one had he avoided Sunderland and held out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The club is changing ownership subject to FA clearance.

Short has paid off all Sunderland's debts.

I suppose the new owners have someone else in mind to manage the club.

I bet he wished he wait another few weeks longer before taking that job.

Bump for the final day - Fulham need to win but currently losing v Brum and Cardiff are 0-0.

Derby Boro and Villa are the other 3 play off sides but Preston will gazump Derby if Derby lose (currently winning) and PNE win (currently 1-0)

Amazing scenes! PNE being held by Burton Albion who looked dead and buried and going down but now they are staying up.

Fulham losing 2-0 and Cardiff drawing so the Blues (reds?!) are going up as of now.

About 27 mins left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Sunderland now winning 3-0 against the champions Wolves.

Barnsley and Bolton are going down as things stand.

Amazed at Wolves - they could have breached the 100 point mark today. 99 not out.

Derby 4 up.. delighted.

Derby 4 up..Delighted.

Bolton are winning and will stay and will send Burton down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Bolton, 2 goals in 3 mins!

C'mon Burton.... Get a goal!

Preston scored.

Burton are now toast, feel sorry for them.

Sunderland, Barnsley and Burton all down.

Wolves and Cardiff up

Playoffs between Villa v Boro and Fulham v Derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Preston scored.

Burton are now toast, feel sorry for them.

Sunderland, Barnsley and Burton all down.

Wolves and Cardiff up

Playoffs between Villa v Boro and Fulham v Derby

Stoke go down - and the Premiership welcomes back Warnock - like to see Fulham go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Stoke go down - and the Premiership welcomes back Warnock - like to see Fulham go up.

Yea, and perhaps Stoke and WBA going down, while Pulis brings Boro back up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I wonder what Boro fans think of Pulis? They were an exciting team back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

I wonder what Boro fans think of Pulis? They were an exciting team back in the day.

I think they are quite happy with him now after a ropey start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Incredible achievement by Neil Warnock.

Took over in October 2016 with Cardiff second from bottom with 8 points from 11 games. Today they go up with 90 points and a spend of circa £5m. Superb.

The man gets a lot of stick, much of it justified, but there's not many better outside of the Premier League when it comes to getting the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Warnock's done a great job. I wouldn't be a fan of him on a personal level but credit where it's due. Bet Nuno Espirito Santo is thrilled to be reunited with him next season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

For the third time in five years and the second year in a row, Birmingham stay up on the final day. Great result and performance to end Fulham's run. Hopefully have an improved season under Monk next year, but off the field issues seem likely to crop up again.

Very hard to call who will go up through the playoffs, I think Boro might shade it but all four teams are in good form so difficult to predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

After Karanka he probably seems like Jurgen Klopp.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Terrific strike to settle the first leg of Shrews v Chalton.

Should their not be a play-offs thread?

• Advertisement
Advertisement