Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Western Motorway Cycle

Options
  • 25-06-2017 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

https://www.iregister.ie/v2/events/great-western-motorway-cycle/

September 10th.

Anyone doing this? Looks like great fun. If it's a dry day it should be nice and fast. Is anyone familiar with the area? I tried without much success to find elevation maps for the route. Can't imagine there will be much in the way of hills though...

Sorry if this has been posted already. I couldn't find anything on the first few pages, and search yielded nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭theGIANT

davef1000 wrote: »

September 10th.

Anyone doing this? Looks like great fun. If it's a dry day it should be nice and fast. Is anyone familiar with the area? I tried without much success to find elevation maps for the route. Can't imagine there will be much in the way of hills though...

Sorry if this has been posted already. I couldn't find anything on the first few pages, and search yielded nothing.

I live right next to this motorway. And looking forward to this. This will be flat enough route. maybe a few hills coming into athenry 4/5% for a 1km at most. Nothing severe. There will be a lot of shelter from the wind because the motorway is below the normal lye of the land to stop noise pollution etc . might post a few pics later. It should be very fast the surface is so smooth. Hard not to take the bike on it for a few practice runs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

That looks very tempting indeed. Throw in a weekend on the razz in Galway and it only makes it seem better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx5WBQX94w8&t=157s
    This is about 10km of it.Gives you an idea of the terraine. This video was done a year ago. The motorway is pretty much finished now

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Really like the look of this. Think I'll do it as can't make the Dublin bike ride this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

This is a unique opportunity to ride on a newly surfaced piece of road with no traffic - whats not to like about that ?

This will attract quite a number of professional a4seholes however who will be on €20k TT bikes but if you just let them off on their merry way to discuss average speeds, power output, and Strava then it will be a nice pleasant day on the bike !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

No tt bikes or tri bars allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Excellent !!

Now all we need is the weather !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Gorteen

€32 or €40 to cycle on a road for one day, built by public funds and therefore paid for taxpayers like me .....and you and many other cyclists???? Doesn't sound right to me!!! :mad:

Seeing that the road is not open to motorised vehicles that day, why not just have it as a voluntary contribution?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭plodder

Gorteen wrote: »
    €32 or €40 to cycle on a road for one day, built by public funds and therefore paid for taxpayers like me .....and you and many other cyclists???? Doesn't sound right to me!!! :mad:

Seeing that the road is not open to motorised vehicles that day, why not just have it as a voluntary contribution?
    It wasn't built for cyclists though and presumably there are costs involved in organising it. I've had my issues with charity events in the past, but this one looks genuine to me. Like the sound of it, and might give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Gorteen wrote: »

Jaysus. Some people just love to complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,161 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hope this hasn't been mentioned already but there's going to be an organised Motorway cycle on the M17/M18 just as its finished construction and just before it opens to traffic.
    It's on Sunday 10th of September.
    Details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Pieta House 100km on same day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

flazio wrote: »
    Hope this hasn't been mentioned already but there's going to be an organised Motorway cycle on the M17/M18 just as its finished construction and just before it opens to traffic.
    It's on Sunday 10th of September.
    Details here.

There is indeed, threads merged.

Borderfox wrote: »
    Pieta House 100km on same day

There's a lot on that same weekend.

Off the top of my head there's this, the Rebel Tour, the Boyne Valley, the Pietas and a stage of the Wild Atlantic Way series.

Talk about being spoiled for choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Planning to do this, Looks like fun

Doing the Shannon Airport charity cycle the day before
    https://sirius.eventmaster.ie/event/W9Qh65i0j

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you at least get to cycle down the runway?

do you at least get to cycle down the runway?

Unfortunately I don't think so, that would be cool though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

J o e wrote: »

The route map and profile are hardly required you'd think....

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rivermansteve

Anyone doing this cycle? Should be very very fast.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to this. Should be nice and quick indeed

Looking forward to it.

Unfortunately the weather's not looking great for Sunday!

427242.png

427243.png

P_1 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. Should be nice and quick indeed

Have done it solo. Found myself going 4kph faster than my usual average. So Smooth!

Well, that was miserable. I should've stayed in bed.

davef1000 wrote: »
    Well, that was miserable. I should've stayed in bed.

Got up to go to the bathroom at about 6.30ish this morning. Took a look outside, and when I saw the wind I turned my alarm off and Went back to bed.

That was grim indeed. I've definitely earned the pint I'm currently enjoying after that.

Turned into a bit of a slog alright.

Was it just me or did the wind change direction enough to hit us both directions?

J o e wrote: »
    Turn into a but of a slog alright.

Was it just me or did the wind change direction enough to hit us both directions?

It definitely did. Was expecting it to become more of a crosswind on the way back but parts of it definitely had a gale in the face. Now the less said about the crosswind blighted cycle from Tuam back to Galway the better...

P_1 wrote: »
    It definitely did. Was expecting it to become more of a crosswind on the way back but parts of it definitely had a gale in the face. Now the less said about the crosswind blighted cycle from Tuam back to Galway the better...

I particularly enjoyed the hailstone-like rain being driven into the side of my face.

• Advertisement

Had this been on a clear, calm day I imagine it would've been hell for leather, people doing speeds they didn't think possible for 100 km. But on a gusty today like today, you're left fairly exposed on a motorway.

Anyone try an echelon?

Advertisement