Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Western Motorway Cycle

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Made it one of the toughest 100kms that I've ever done, hate the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

davef1000 wrote: »
    I particularly enjoyed the hailstone-like rain being driven into the side of my face.

Ah yes that was an, ahem, experience. Honestly felt that was tougher that the Orwell Randonee

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Will chalk that one down as an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

was worth doing for the novelty of closed roads and perfect tarmac. On the other hand, it was a boring enough route compared with any of the classic routes available in the west.

The first group looked to be racing pretty hard when I met them coming back from the turnaround - I guess there was the prize of having your name immortalised on Strava forever :) - not too many permanent KOMs available

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Fair play to everyone who did it considering the shocking weather conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Notoldorwise

Tough day but really glad to have completed it. Linked up with 3 lads from Portumna CC and a lad from Dolmen CC. Sound bunch to cycle with. High point of the cycling this year. Very different cycling on a motorway. Every climb is a slow hard slog but the downhill is long. Was surprised to see several cyclists get punctures as there was no debris on the road, apart from slugs......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Tough day but really glad to have completed it. Linked up with 3 lads from Portumna CC and a lad from Dolmen CC. Sound bunch to cycle with. High point of the cycling this year. Very different cycling on a motorway. Every climb is a slow hard slog but the downhill is long. Was surprised to see several cyclists get punctures as there was no debris on the road, apart from slugs......
    Nice to have you cycling with us yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Anyone know how many participants there were yesterday? I'm guessing somebody made a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

2500 apparently had signed up. Cash was for the Lions clubs in Tuam and Gort. So worthy cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

was worth doing for the novelty of closed roads and perfect tarmac. On the other hand, it was a boring enough route compared with any of the classic routes available in the west.

The first group looked to be racing pretty hard when I met them coming back from the turnaround - I guess there was the prize of having your name immortalised on Strava forever :) - not too many permanent KOMs available

I was in that first group. Just wanted to get out of the weather ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

delynet wrote: »
    I was in that first group. Just wanted to get out of the weather ASAP

What was your ave speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

delynet wrote: »

Well done.
    I see you were 2nd fastest.
    Were you in the same group as the fastest?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Well done.
    I see you were 2nd fastest.
    Were you in the same group as the fastest?

Yes, some very strong lads. They dropped me with around 4km to go, I was struggling a bit near the end as I did the Tour de Bens cycle in Clifden the day before.

Advertisement