Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valuation on rented accommodation

Options
  • 25-06-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We are currently renting a nice 3 bed property in Kildare that we are possibly in the position of buying.

I am thinking of getting an evaluation done so that i can get a ballpark figure for an offer. Was looking to this independently so i could approach the landlord with a reasonable offer with room to move.

Can i get a valuation done without the knowledge of the landlord, or do i need to go through them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Permission not needed.

Initially, take a look at what people are looking for locally, using daft, myhome, etc. and the property register.

Talk to an estate agent. Make sure they don't know the landlord. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

As a Landlord if I was nudged to sell I'd want to put the place on the open market so maybe bear that in mind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As a Landlord if I was nudged to sell I'd want to put the place on the open market so maybe bear that in mind.

+1

Most landlords would make a working assumption that any offer from a tenant was undervaluing the property (though in the current climate- most would sell, if given the opportunity to do so).

You can have anyone you like do a property valuation- to be honest- other than having a price on a piece of paper, it doesn't really mean anything.

What you'd do normally- is the 5 most recent sales listed on www.propertypriceregister.ie alongside the 5 most recent asking prices on www.daft.ie and divide the lot by 10 (i.e. to ensure you get a good spread between asking and achieved prices)........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Daft and property price register are the way to go initially. I know a few people who have done this successfully, an owner is often glad of the reduction in hassle! No need to prep the place for viewings, s/he knows the offer is genuine.

If you keep it realistic you could be onto a winner.

Do bear in mind the owners may have their own personal circumstances to consider. I turned someone down a few yrs ago on an offer like this. The property was in negative equity at the time... the sale would not have covered the mortgage, I couldn't sell without making a loss.

Advertisement