Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 Days in NYC

Options
  • 25-06-2017 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

We are heading off to NYC with our three kids for 4 days next week. We want to try and see Ellis Island, WTC, Museums etc. Has anyone got any tips or information for getting around or other places to visit. We are staying in Times Square. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

You should book the Ellis Island ferry if you haven't done so yet - it's popular and does sell out (same ferry goes to Liberty Island).

https://www.statuecruises.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

If you are interested in anything military go visit the intrepid aircraft carrier it has old helicopters and aircraft and it even has a submarine and one of the Concorde's based there. You could spend hours on it. It's on the Hudson River not to far from times square .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I'm doing 4 days in NYC in August - First time visitor, so I'd be interested in hearing more about this too. Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Governor's Island is lovely, lots of walking and places to play for kids, great views of city and Statue of Liberty. First ferry of the day is free too, though charges are tiny

Walk the Highline from Chelsea, it's lovely.

Hire bikes and cycle Central Park, or do a cycling tour of the park - it's huge and maybe too tiring to walk a lot with kids.

Natural History Museum is the absolute best, kids will LOvE it. Allow yourselves loads of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

If you want to see the statue of Liberty, take the Statan Island Ferry (free) and you will sail past with great views of the statue and lower Manhattan skyline. If interested, Ellis Island is indeed worth a visit.

WTC museum is harrowing but worth a visit. There is a kiosk outside the building (I think it's opposite the south pool) in the wall (like an ATM) which you can buy tickets. Going to the top of the WTC I recommend, although Top of the Rock (Rockefeller centre) is a superior view of Midtown and Central Park. Try go at dusk.

there are plenty of open top bus tours you can take (plenty of guys in Times Square more than willing to sell you them) anc maybe with kids it may be an option you wish to take. I done it once on my first ever visit but I find walking or taking the subway a few stops is more adventurous.

Check out Central Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

You're staying near Times sq so go to Ellens Stardust diner on Bdwy/51st, food is so-so but the wait staff jump up on the tables and start singing for you.
    Take a subway out to Citifield and see the Mets play, tickets are reasonable.
    Do a tour of the NBC studios at Rockefeller center
    Also check for other ideas here: http://www.imnotatouristiswear.com/150-things-locals-do-in-new-york-city/

Advertisement