Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay raise request letter

Options
  • 25-06-2017 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

Im going to ask for a pay rise in work and I need some help as to how to go about it.

My current salary is frankly shocking and I know this because a new lad started in my department with less experience than me and is getting 7.5k more than me! Can you believe it! Im absolutely raging. He is not that geat at his job and he actually declined his original offer and they upped his salary significantly and he accepted. I know this because he told me and a few other collegues the same story and stupidly told us all what he was offered. Suffice to say everyone in my department is now looking for a pay rise and im hoping to get their first.

How would one go about writing a pay raise request letter? Im looking to ask for 10k a year more than what Im getting now which would mean I would be earning 2.5k more than the new lad which i think is about fair.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Med101007 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

Im going to ask for a pay rise in work and I need some help as to how to go about it.

My current salary is frankly shocking and I know this because a new lad started in my department with less experience than me and is getting 7.5k more than me! Can you believe it! Im absolutely raging. He is not that geat at his job and he actually declined his original offer and they upped his salary significantly and he accepted. I know this because he told me and a few other collegues the same story and stupidly told us all what he was offered. Suffice to say everyone in my department is now looking for a pay rise and im hoping to get their first.

How would one go about writing a pay rise request letter? Im looking to ask for 10k a year more than what im getting now which would meanbI wiuld be earning 2.5k more than the new lad which i think is abiut fair.

Any help on tjis matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'd be very careful. Its very possible the new guy is full of sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

I'd be getting my cv ready if I were you. There is no way they will just up your salary by 10k.
    How do you know the new guy is telling the truth about his Earnings?

It's not your business what another employee is earning. Are they even doing the same job?

You have a contract and that is that. They may agree to a 1 or 2% increase possibly but that is it. Go steaming in complaint that so and so earns more than me then they will laugh you out of their.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Forget the new lad. YOU will need to demonstrate why YOU are worth €10k more than you're currently being paid. Focus on emphasizing why you deserve more.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Med101007

Thanks for the replies lads.

First off the new lad is doing the exact same job as me and he stupidly left his payslip on his desktop screen and one of my colleagues seen it and informed us.The figure he said that was on his payslip was the same as the new lad told me directly.

I know I wont get a 10k increase in salary but I firmly believe I deserve it. All off the salary surveys I have seen have shown a 10k increase would be in line with my current job role and experience.

Is it possible that when I look for a pay rise that they may offer me a new contract with a salary that better reflects my job role? Thats the best I am hoping for to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You basically have no chance in hell of getting it; if you want a proper paylift you need to change job because that salary is paid to recruit people and not for retained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

You can ask for it but it's highly unlikely that you'll get it. Absolutely do NOT refer to your colleague's salary throughout the process, it's absolutely none of your business, and it will reflect badly on you if you do.

I don't think a letter is necessary. Do you have periodical reviews? I would ask for a meeting with the relevant people and talk to them about it in person.

Why haven't you looked for an increase before btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Nody wrote: »
    that salary is paid to recruit people and not for retained.

OP, The closer we get to full employment, the harder it is for employers to fill vacant roles and they have to offer more.They're not obliged to make the business suffer by capping the salaries of new hires to whatever you're on.

OP, you're not going to have much luck asking for a 10k increase when you are currently doing the job sans 10k.. Where is the benefit to the employer in giving you extra?

I'd ask for 5k, but be prepared to hand in your notice and move elsewhere for what you're worth in case it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Med101007

Ya the more I think about the more I might just start applying to other jobs and hopefully get a job offer which shows around a 10k increase in salary. Then if I do get an offer hopefully my current employer will match it. This scenario happened to another work collegue of mine.

If I go looking for an increase now I know myself that the best I can hope for is a 10% annual increase in salary. Its probably best that I don't go looking for it now because if I do get a 10% increase from them and then I show up in a months time with another job offer they will think I'm taking the piss and definitely not match my new offer.

What do ye reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

10% increase is ridiculous increase.
    if your employer matches an offer you've had from another company they deserve to lose all their money, people who request counter offers from current employers take the piss and never actually stay longer than a year anyway.

if your employer matches an offer you've had from another company they deserve to lose all their money, people who request counter offers from current employers take the piss and never actually stay longer than a year anyway.

Why do they take the piss by accepting counter offers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Why do they take the piss by accepting counter offers?
    did you read the post? 
    people who request counter offers from current employers take the piss

companies rarely make counter offers, if someone is out looking for a better deal their going to leave either way... a company giving you a couple of extra grand when your not happy anyway isnt going to make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Med101007 wrote: »

If I go looking for an increase now I know myself that the best I can hope for is a 10% annual increase in salary. Its probably best that I don't go looking for it now because if I do get a 10% increase from them and then I show up in a months time with another job offer they will think I'm taking the piss and definitely not match my new offer.

What do ye reckon?

If the company are good enough to offer you the 10% pay rise that you request now, why would continue to look for jobs and ask again to get another pay rise? Do you think you should get more than 10%?

I would suggest doing one of the options but not both.

did you read the post? 
    people who request counter offers from current employers take the piss

companies rarely make counter offers, if someone is out looking for a better deal their going to leave either way... a company giving you a couple of extra grand when your not happy anyway isnt going to make a difference.

Ok there's no need for the attitude, I misread your post.

You're making a generalisation. Statistically most people leave within a year of remaining with an employer after a counter offer, but that's certainly not the case for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

christy02 wrote:
    I'd be getting my cv ready if I were you. There is no way they will just up your salary by 10k. How do you know the new guy is telling the truth about his Earnings?

Hmmm, no way?? I don't think you can say that. It all depends on who you work for.

I've seen plenty of examples of colleagues getting 10, 20 & 30k euro increases at my workplace. Although I haven't had a pay rise in 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Ok there's no need for the attitude, I misread your post.

You're making a generalisation. Statistically most people leave within a year of remaining with an employer after a counter offer, but that's certainly not the case for all.

Source?

I've seen it go both ways. If I was the OP I'd be out looking for another role and be ready to move and when you are having the discussion with the current employer be prepared for it to go both ways. I've had counter offers to match a competitor when leaving, it happens.

hots wrote: »
    Source?

I've seen it go both ways. If I was the OP I'd be out looking for another role and be ready to move and when you are having the discussion with the current employer be prepared for it to go both ways. I've had counter offers to match a competitor when leaving, it happens.

I took the stats from an article I read on LinkedIn last year when I was trying to decide whether to move jobs or accept a counter offer :pac:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/reasons-accept-counter-offer-from-your-current-employer-laura-davies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I took the stats from an article I read on LinkedIn last year when I was trying to decide whether to move jobs or accept a counter offer :pac:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/reasons-accept-counter-offer-from-your-current-employer-laura-davies

"Without even looking at the relative merits of an offer or the counter offer statistics show that 80% of people who have accepted a counter offer will not be at their current employer in six months and 93% will not be there in eighteen months’ time."

Wow! I would love to see her "Nationally compiled statistics" but taking it at face value it's a crazily high figure...

I agree with some of her points though, there's a lot more to accepting the counter offer than the €€€s

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

It's definitely a possiblity especially if you are out of line. May be wise to approach as group depending on the type of company you work for. 4 of us did that with my old employer and we all received bumps similar to what you'd be asking for. It is a possibility.

Advertisement