Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail Scam?

Options
  • 25-06-2017 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

When I hit the gmail tab I am immediately brought to this gmail account's
    in box with a list of their mails.

FAKEKMAIL2._zpsuxy4otbx.jpg

I also have a screenshot of their inbox.

But when I go to my gmail in a private window, everything is normal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Somebody has access to your laptop and has signed in as that account?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

Exactly what i was thinking. Did any of your mates sign in on your computer. It could be a fake account they use for rubbish sites that they don't want a load of spam for. Did you look at any of the emails?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Somebody has access to your laptop and has signed in as that account?

I'm the only one that uses my decktop and it's password protected anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Try signing out of your google account and signing in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

When you are on your inbox home page , scroll down to the bottom left-hand-side and click on details .
    A new window will open , and click on '' sign out of all other web sessions ''

• Advertisement

Plus you can see location of login somewhere in there too.

degsie wrote: »
    Try signing out of your google account and signing in again.

ok that didn't work. Will try the other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,649 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you go to gmail.com or go to Youtube.com is that account signed in?

Are you using a password manager?

• Advertisement

If you go to gmail.com or go to Youtube.com is that account signed in?

yup that is signed in as well.

Not using a password manager.

I would be running a malware scan asap. And maybe a clean install of Windows to be on the safe side. Something fishy going on. Change all your passwords on a different device.

When this started I had being trying to login or change my password for mybills.ie but nothing worked.

I clicked on the mybills email helpdesk link and was asked what prog I wanted to open this, the usual, yahoo gmail etc, so I chose gmail, (thoujght this was all a bit odd with gmail being listed there) but stupidly went ahead:(

Could that be my problem. Thank god for private window in FF

But Getting my login details for mybills.ie would not have given any info about my gmail login details, as they are completely different.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    When this started I had being trying to login or change my password for mybills.ie but nothing worked.

I clicked on the mybills email helpdesk link and was asked what prog I wanted to open this, the usual, yahoo gmail etc, so I chose gmail, (thoujght this was all a bit odd with gmail being listed there) but stupidly went ahead:(

But Getting my login details for mybills.ie would not have given any info about my gmail login details, as they are completely different.

Did you get an email from them? They have a warning on their homepage.

http://www.mybills.ie/Pages/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

danjo-xx wrote: »

Why were you changing your password? If you got an email out of the blue, not at your own instigation, saying "Click here to change your password", and then you clicked the link and the weird stuff started, then it was probably a phishing email.

Did you get an email from them? They have a warning on their homepage.

http://www.mybills.ie/Pages/Default.aspx

No email from them, I was just trying to logon to pay a bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bubbleboy22

Yes, this is probably some kind of malware. You should try find the solution which antivirus program can help you.
    Regards

As I kind of expected, this email address is the address of the person who sold me this pc a few months. I checked it with him.

I ran scans and nothing was found.

Today gmail asked me to sign into to his account which was an improvement.

I have deleted him from google list of gmail accounts.

However we can't under stand how gmail let me straight into his inbox without logging on.

A glitch like this just shouldn't happen.

Seems to only have happened with FF as chrome was normal.

Just got this reply from him now
    I guess I understand where the problem is, I suspect that's why it's only on Firefox because I had to give my email to install firefox. I sold you a computer with Firefox installed. I think if you remove the firefox in Control Panel - Programs - Unistall and the program then the problem disappears, then you have to install Firefox and log your mail, so I think

Would that explain it.

Must be still using the same windows account snd never have cleared the cache in ff since you got it. Why have you not done a fresh install since? He could have anything on the laptop?

Must be still using the same windows account snd never have cleared the cache in ff since you got it. Why have you not done a fresh install since? He could have anything on the laptop?

First thing I ran when I got this was ccleaner, adwcleaner and a quick scan,
    all grand.

I run ccleaner every time before shutting down and also do a reg scan.

All clean as a whistle.

Fresh install of windows? if that is what you mean, forget it, haven't a clue mate and nearly 70 :(:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If you open FF settings and go to security , you will see an option to save passwords for some sites .

I use this and have a list of websites I use regular.

Clearing cache or using CC cleaner will not get rid of this default settings .

If you open FF settings and go to security , you will see an option to save passwords for some sites .

I use this and have a list of websites I use regular.

Clearing cache or using CC cleaner will not get rid of this default settings .

I checked the list of websites there, only about 5 or 6, all mine except for one
    that was for Chrome/Firefox together with a hell of a long password, so I have removed it now.

Everything is working fine me now anyway.

I have a feeling that he never signed out of his gmail account and that left
    an opening for gmail to let me straight into his inbox.

that's my theory anyway:D

thanks for the help guys.

Interesting how many think they are the subject to a scam when a computer behaves a little differently.

degsie wrote: »
    Interesting how many think they are the subject to a scam when a computer behaves a little differently.

Well it's not standard practice that someone would buy a laptop and not wipe down t before using it. The last guy could have anything on it. He could have TeamViewer on it and log in anytime. He could have a keylogger on it for all you know. He may be genuine but its a risky game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sign out of account, delete cache and cookies, run virus/malware scan on your PC. Problem solved.

No need to reinstall windows or anything like that.

Advertisement