Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climber for a spot with little Sun

Options
  • 25-06-2017 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Any nice climber plants with bright colours that can be used in an area with morning and evening Sun only ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Honeysuckle, some roses, some clematis, solanum crispum 'glasnevin', climbing hydrangea. There are probably others, sun twice a day would be fine for a lot of climbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Winter jasmine, get a twig or two from anyone who has it - this roots so easily!

Tropaeolum speciosum - http://www.mountvenusnursery.com/catalog/product-html/Tropaeolum-speciosum-P-991.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've a few different species of decorative ivy on an ugly concrete wall adjoining the house that gets very little light. Looks attractive, very little maintenance other than the odd trim, less aggressive than common species and evergreen. I've also got a dark purple Clematis 'Romantika' that does well without much light and is similarly less invasive than some other varieties I've had in the past. I'll stick up a few photos when I get a chance.

Edit: just saw 'bright colours' in the OP, ah well....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

Zhephrin Droughin (google will suggest the correct spelling, because I dont have a clue) us supposedly great for shade. Googling will bring up details like it being the most popular rose since 1869 etc. A climbing rose, loads of resources online on how to prune and train it etc. I planted one couple of weeks ago, it keeps flowering and you know its there without evem looking that way - divine fragrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

positron wrote: »
    Zhephrin Droughin (google will suggest the correct spelling, because I dont have a clue) us supposedly great for shade. Googling will bring up details like it being the most popular rose since 1869 etc. A climbing rose, loads of resources online on how to prune and train it etc. I planted one couple of weeks ago, it keeps flowering and you know its there without evem looking that way - divine fragrance.

The "Bible" says full sun

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/90035/Rosa-Z-233;phirine-Drouhin-(Bb)/Details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

You could be right, don't they normally say Roses need full sun to flower. A lot of comments online about ZD thriving and flowering in shade, but not sure if any of them are from Ireland / UK.

RHS site adds this too:
    Tolerant of poor soil, shade and a north aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a ZD and a James Galway and they are both flowering in shade - though the ZD does tend to climb to the top of the wall and do a nice bunch of flowers there.

Advertisement