Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling Banter Page and Buff Egan Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cms88

qwabercd wrote: »
    You seem infatuated with criticising him. If you hate him so much you're probably better off just ignoring him rather than having over 30 posts about him on an online forum.

Id just like people to see him for what he is. Never at any point said i hated him did i?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

To be fair to him he’s above in Dublin today visiting a young lad who had a cycling accident and has been hospitalised since August, paralysed from neck down. Fairplay, not a lot would do it on Christmas Eve

cms88 wrote: »
    Id just like people to see him for what he is. Never at any point said i hated him did i?

An imperfect human being like the rest of us? Yeah we see that but thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

cms88 wrote: »
    Id just like people to see him for what he is.

Which is what?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

He called himself out for being an ape today and giving out about little things. Visiting that young lad today put a bit of perspective on things for him I’d imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Glebee

How did a clip of the conversation get released??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

qwabercd wrote: »
    You seem infatuated with criticising him. If you hate him so much you're probably better off just ignoring him rather than having over 30 posts about him on an online forum.

His first name is Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

While I agree that he has gone over the top in his rants but I do agree on the fact that it is ridiculous that someone like Rory (from Rory's stories) has released a book.

The two good point he makes is that it used to be the case that you had to achieve something in life before releasing a book and have won a couple of All Ireland's before releasing a GAA book.

Added to that is the overuse of the word "Legend" - people really have no understanding of this word, especially if they think some lad who does 2 minute (cliched) GAA clips is one.
    I find Rory to be entertaining but jeez having a book and being called a legend on the back of his work is just baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I cant help feeling that the lad needs a bit of reeling in or advising on his usage of social media at this stage. He does strike me as extremely harmless yet very naive at the same time.

Pretty much sums him up for me. I think he is harmless but has that thing at back of his head that needs sorting.

his talk on women though is creepy and not nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭rpurfield

While I agree that he has gone over the top in his rants but I do agree on the fact that it is ridiculous that someone like Rory (from Rory's stories) has released a book.

The two good point he makes is that it used to be the case that you had to achieve something in life before releasing a book and have won a couple of All Ireland's before releasing a GAA book.

Added to that is the overuse of the word "Legend" - people really have no understanding of this word, especially if they think some lad who does 2 minute (cliched) GAA clips is one.
    I find Rory to be entertaining but jeez having a book and being called a legend on the back of his work is just baffling

It's not an autobiography though is it? To apply your logic to writing a lot of people shouldn't be writing, ie when Paul Howard published the first Ross O'Carroll Kelly do you think he shouldn't have because he wasn't a successful rugby player? Your argument makes no sense. Fair balls to anyone taking a punt on making it in the entertainment game, Rory jacked in his job to go full time at it when it wasn't a guarantee he'd make a living. Still makes no sense that Buff seems to have a rivalry with him though, they're effectively in completely different fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I need another coffee before that question will go in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

rpurfield wrote: »
    It's not an autobiography though is it? To apply your logic to writing a lot of people shouldn't be writing, ie when Paul Howard published the first Ross O'Carroll Kelly do you think he shouldn't have because he wasn't a successful rugby player? Your argument makes no sense. Fair balls to anyone taking a punt on making it in the entertainment game, Rory jacked in his job to go full time at it when it wasn't a guarantee he'd make a living. Still makes no sense that Buff seems to have a rivalry with him though, they're effectively in completely different fields.
    Exactly what I think as well. There's obviously a market given that he's in the bestsellers list at the moment (#3 in Eason's bestsellers) so why on earth are people complaining that Rory O'Connor wrote a book? As you said, no different to Ross O'Carroll Kellyor the Waterford Whispers books.
    Rory's Stories seem to be more popular with older people while Buff Egan seems to appeal more to kids and teenagers. I personally wouldn't recognise the latter if he passed me on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

To criticise a guy for releasing a well-selling book is idiotic. You can't knock anyone for being clever enough to work for themselves like that. I don't care what the book entails.

I like Buff but it's clear he's nowhere near shrewd enough to monetise his popularity. Judging from that bizarre rant he expects people to just approach him on the street and give him a few pound. That's not how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rory worked for it

Buff expects it handed to him

that's the difference. I'm not really big fan of Rory fella but fair play if he hits his market.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

rte should bring back Celebrity Banisteoir and have Buff take over a team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭kala85

PTH2009 wrote: »
    rte should bring back Celebrity Banisteoir and have Buff take over a team

That would be gas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Glebee

Fair play to him for his coverage ov tbe Kilkenny vs Wexford match. He then goes to a match in Kildare and it ends up being cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭kala85

Someone should sponsor him a car. Be great advertising with all the driving he does.

Great coverage altogether. Really shows up how bad the gaa social media coverage is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

kala85 wrote: »
    Someone should sponsor him a car. Be great advertising with all the driving he does.

Great coverage altogether. Really shows up how bad the gaa social media coverage is.

I'm pretty sure that's what he is hoping will happen from his stories today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I'd say he's a bit too much of a liability for any garage to put their name to him. He'd be good coverage for them but he's capable of doing anything, could all turn sour quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Glebee wrote: »
    Fair play to him for his coverage ov tbe Kilkenny vs Wexford match. He then goes to a match in Kildare and it ends up being cancelled.

Yea that coverage was excellent at the weekend. Felt very sorry for him the next day. That's some drive from Kerry to Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

EIREDriver wrote: »
    Glebee wrote: »

Yea that coverage was excellent at the weekend. Felt very sorry for him the next day. That's some drive from Kerry to Kildare.
    I think he stayed in thomastown in kilkenny Saturday night

"is there anyone in Ireland spending more money on petrol than buff egan?"

Yes buff, most likely the hundreds of thousands of people who commute to and from work every day. I do like buff but he really loves playing the martyr and he has some crazy notions about himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

dulux99 wrote: »

Yes buff, most likely the hundreds of thousands of people who commute to and from work every day. I do like buff but he really loves playing the martyr and he has some crazy notions about himself

Exactly he is able to have the time to go to these games and mid week he is always out shopping or sitting in a cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

dulux99 wrote: »

I think it's fairly clear that he is looking for some kind of sponsorship but doesn't want to say it outright so is complaining about expenses, price of petrol, etc.

He should just bite the bullet and say he's looking for sponsorship instead of beating around the bush the whole time.

Have to say his coverage of the Kilkenny v Wexford Walsh Cup final was most entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

kala85 wrote: »

Jesus, you'd want to be very desperate for business if Buff Egan was the highest profile person you could find to accept a free car from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

leestone wrote: »
    Exactly he is able to have the time to go to these games and mid week he is always out shopping or sitting in a cafe

He turned down a free car before because it would effect his benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Is buff unemployed? Or what is his occupation?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Is buff unemployed? Or what is his occupation?

Sheep Farmer supposedly

• Advertisement

Sheep Farmer supposedly

I'm sure that's probably his family business but I highly doubt its his own farm

Advertisement