Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling Banter Page and Buff Egan Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

The amount of abuse he gets is really sad to see. If you don't like him don't follow his page, no need to insult him. Even some posts here in a "discussion" thread have been quite offensive and hopefully the mods will take action. This is an ordinary person we're talking about. I don't understand why people are so bothered about his passion for Clare, or when many on his page call him out for being biased as if he is a professional GAA reporter. Get over it, some people are so precious.

The thing is he thinks he's a GAA reporter. As for the abuse he gets, like i said he give it out as much, he just plays the victim all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

sure he is a gaa reporter now? he just doesnt get paid
    he has more followers on snapchat that most of the radio stations in ireland have listeners

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

cms88 wrote: »
    The thing is he thinks he's a GAA reporter. As for the abuse he gets, like i said he give it out as much, he just plays the victim all the time.

He pretty much is an amateur GAA reporter. I haven't seen him give abuse of the same level that he get's thrown at him. And if he does, I doubt it's unprovoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

I'll never get people who get annoyed at social media people like Buff. FFS don't follow him if he annoys them so much. It's not as if he's hoovering up license payers money on RTE - he's doing it as a hobby.

He seems to appeal to teenagers the most as it's all a bit of harmless fun. People who abuse him online or in person need to have a serious look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭big_drive

At the Cork minor game last night he was mobbed after the game in the stand for autographs etc

It was funny cause I saw Patrick horgan walk past and no one asked him for an autograph even though he's actually playing the Munster final on Sunday

Buff set up instagram recently and now has 22,000 followers
    Some multi national companies employ college graduates to try draw in those type of numbers. Buff should get snapped up by some smart business who could use his profile for their advantage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Only started following him in the last 10 days or so. He's giving great coverage in fairness, his coverage of the minor games was great for fans who couldn't get to the game.

Similarly I've a wedding on Saturday so won't make either of the Tipperary games, I'm sure I'll get to see a bit of the action thanks to his snaps.

Doing it at his own expense too, all those games and petrol aren't cheap. Fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

eigrod wrote: »
    I'll never get people who get annoyed at social media people like Buff. FFS don't follow him if he annoys them so much. It's not as if he's hoovering up license payers money on RTE - he's doing it as a hobby.

He seems to appeal to teenagers the most as it's all a bit of harmless fun. People who abuse him online or in person need to have a serious look at themselves.

Was sitting in front of him at the Waterford & Offaly game again after him being in front of us at the Cork game.
    Probably the most annoying thing is the kids crowding around him pushing and shoving for selfies. A guy and his daughter went down to the loo at half time and all the kids came up trampling all over their flags and jackets and stuff. Though that's more of a problem with the kids than Buff himself haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

If I see him I move away instantly because he and his entourage are an annoyance to me personally but he is providing a real service and is to be commended.
    I don`t think it would work if he was in any way connected to a company as they would attempt to modify his approach which just wouldn't work.
    I hope that he is somehow making a few bob from it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CK22

Did we all see his work in Na Piarsaigh and Cratloe the other day? He got a Clare jersey of Podge Collins and was giving speeches I think. He's surely getting some kind of expenses of them, and if he is, fair play. I'm getting very fond of him again ( after a period of him wrecking my head)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 muirsin

He is doing more to promote hurling at all levels. It may be some up and coming youngster or a fellow well in to his 40s still going well or those at the top levels. Fair play to him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I do think the hurling development committee or whatever they were calling themselves

Could do worse thongs than approach him,at end of the year and get top players to do basic skills lessons on it.....as a way to promote skills to younger kids as they seem to be his main fans??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Was away yesterday and watching his snaps to keep updated on Kilkenny v Waterford, he can be annoying at times but fair play to him all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Buff was sitting two rows in front of me for Waterford v Kilkenny and I have to say, the buzz he generated at half time with supporters and at full time celebrating with the Waterford fans was great to see. The man is very clearly passionate about hurling and doing great promotional work through social media and I really don't understand why people go out of their way to criticise him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Maybe I'm not up to date on Buff but did he get the 'Camogie Banter' page shut down for a video posted of him shifting some one's cheek?

Saw the video circulating and it didn't paint him in a good light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Caliden wrote: »
    Maybe I'm not up to date on Buff but did he get the 'Camogie Banter' page shut down for a video posted of him shifting some one's cheek?

I've heard of this what exactly happened? He's going ape about privacy but surely it's not more than shifting a young one or what is wrong do ya know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Caliden wrote: »

Apparently someone took a video of him without permission and posted it up. Shocking stuff, he does not deserve this sort of treatment. Out again in force this week at the u21 matches, the GAA would do well to approach him as there's surely some formal role he could be offered. Great to see players like Tommy Walsh and Aussie Gleeson posing for photos with him and showing some support.

Big news tonight folks, Balls.ie are running a competition where the winner gets a ticket beside Buff at Wexford Waterford this Sunday. He's done it, he's national.

CK22 wrote: »
    Big news tonight folks, Balls.ie are running a competition where the winner gets a ticket beside Buff at Wexford Waterford this Sunday. He's done it, he's national.

:rolleyes:

If anyone saw the interview Balls.ie did with Bugf today, it was interesting. He was a bit distant at times, but I suppose he's not a man for the camera I think. Some interesting things about his background were mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭lukin

I unliked his page on Facebook because he was posting a lot of sectarian stuff (including using the phrase "Orange b######s on a number of occasions). He is a Celtic supporter and unfortunately he seems to think it is acceptable to make these kind of remarks. I don't think it's acceptable. I'm sure there will be a lot of people coming on here defending him, and ye are welcome to him as far as I am concerned.
    I am not trolling or trying to stoke things up, I just don't like the guy and in 2017 he should really come out of the dark ages and get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

that rubbish is on his private page - not his hurling banter page

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭lukin

sc86 wrote: »
    that rubbish is on his private page - not his hurling banter page

It isn't actually, I have seen him post that stuff on the Hurling Banter page and even that was the case it still doesn't make it OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I dont see why this lad angers so many people- I dont follow him on snapchat or facebook or really care for him at all- if you are of a similar opinion then just dont follow him.

My younger brother thinks he's great craic so he follows him- it's a fairly simple and logical approach really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

I dont see why this lad angers so many people- I dont follow him on snapchat or facebook or really care for him at all- if you are of a similar opinion then just dont follow him.

My younger brother thinks he's great craic so he follows him- it's a fairly simple and logical approach really.

Agree, it's up to yourself whether to follow him or not, if you don't like it, don't do it.

As for why he angers so many, I think it's a lot to do with his Clare obsession, more to the point, his obsession with the idea that Clare are the best team in the country by far, for example I'm pretty sure he said prior to last years AI final that Clare would beat the pick of Tipp and Kilkenny, despite failing miserably year on year.

Just a hunch.

randd1 wrote: »
    Agree, it's up to yourself whether to follow him or not, if you don't like it, don't do it.

As for why he angers so many, I think it's a lot to do with his Clare obsession, more to the point, his obsession with the idea that Clare are the best team in the country by far, for example I'm pretty sure he said prior to last years AI final that Clare would beat the pick of Tipp and Kilkenny, despite failing miserably year on year.

Just a hunch.

Sure we are all deluded towards the teams that we follow!
    I'll be going into this season thinking that Munster can win the Champions cup- I was full sure that United would win the league under Jose last year, etc

Sure we are all deluded towards the teams that we follow!
    I'll be going into this season thinking that Munster can win the Champions cup- I was full sure that United would win the league under Jose last year, etc

Ya but Buff isn't even from Clare

Ya but Buff isn't even from Clare

I'm not from Manchester- who gives a f*ck- well you obviously, but few others.

I'm not from Manchester- who gives a f*ck- well you obviously, but few others.

Considering the GAA is supposed to be about supporting where you're actually from, then again you're obviously a Man Utd fan so that's not something you'd know about

Considering the GAA is supposed to be about supporting where you're actually from, then again you're obviously a Man Utd fan so that's not something you'd know about

Your astounding put down of me based on my choice of soccer club to follow has left me gobsmacked.

However I'm glad to see that your pettiness extends beyond just some comments about some hurling person on snapchat. Good man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

The GAA is also supposed to be about not knocking a person because of who they support. If you are from a county that doesn't have a great chance your summer would be very short if you didn't support someone else.

Advertisement