Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surfacing a parking space

Options
  • 26-06-2017 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if some kind souls here can give me some pointers on costs for the following.
    I want to get an enclosed plot, surfaced to be able to park on it.
    • it's an enclosed plot, 50m2, roughly rectangular 5x10
    • Walls on all sides, one side has an up-and-over garage door for access (normal dimensions). Does mean there's a height restriction getting onto the site (but can drive right up to the garage door, obviously.
    • It's overgrown, but has been cleared to ground level several months ago, that'll be growing back a bit now with summer weather, but it's soft stuff if you know what I mean. A couple of tree-roots at the edge. There's about a skip worth of debris and stuff (random pallets, shoes, footballs, etc., etc., bits and pieces)
    • In terms of surface, i'd like it scraped out 15cm deep, then back-filled with 804, and compacted to level again. I'm hoping that's sufficient to be able to use as a parking space and to be able to jack up to do an oil change.
    • No plan to put any "finish" layer on it (i.e. gravel, cobble-lock, concrete, etc.,)
    Any thoughts on what the ballpark costs would be? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

bump :o

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

If there is enough room for a micro digger a man with one and a small tipping trailer would be ideal for the job. Scrape it out, dig down and stone back up. A half day should do it so I suppose by the time you get rid of what's dug out and supply the stone i guess it would be around 250-300

Dupont wrote: »
    If there is enough room for a micro digger a man with one and a small tipping trailer would be ideal for the job. Scrape it out, dig down and stone back up. A half day should do it so I suppose by the time you get rid of what's dug out and supply the stone i guess it would be around 250-300
    Thanks for that.
    There is room enough to maneuver a micro-digger, the only challenge might be getting it into the site through the garage door. However, looking at pictures of micro-diggers online, many that don't have a full canopy roof seem to have a folding/detachable roll-bar, probably to allow them to get access to such restricted spaces.

If the price was so low I'd also be flexible on whether they managed to clear right to the edges of the plot (say leaving a foot margin to leave the walls undisturbed). Original quote I got was thousands...

I've a chap coming to look at it tomorrow, so I'll update on the price I get for reference.

So the price I was quoted was 3650+VAT, so over €4000 altogether.

This is based on 65m2 (obviously a bit bigger than my estimate) but still it's more than an order of magnitude more expensive. For info, the breakdown was:
    • Excavation, prep, waste removal, skips, 65*€30=€1950
    • Mypex weed barrier, 65*€2.50=€162.50
    • Hardcore 804: 24tonnes*€40=€960
    • Micro digger: (2 days )(125)=250
    • Micro dumper: (2 days)(165)=330
    The site looks wild, as the nettles were now waist depth, but it's genuinely not as bad as it might seem at first since it was all cleared to ground level about 18 months ago by a gardener/landscaper type, and end of last summer i brought it all down to the ground again in an hour with a slash-hook (and can do that again), it's all soft growth, not trees/briars.

Any thoughts on the reasonablness of the above numbers? I can validly query the measurement, but that doesn't transform the quote at all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Seems reasonable.

Any way you can avoid taking material of site? Probably the best saving

• Advertisement
Advertisement