Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route from Waterford to Carrick on Suir via the R680

Options
  • 26-06-2017 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Some years ago a friend of mine used to drive from Waterford to Carrick on Suir via the R680 I think. I was with him a couple of times when i stayed in Carrick on Suir overnight. I think we went through Kilmeaden as I remember a pub.. I drove that way again recently and was trying to recall exactly our route. If we took the R680 to Carrick on Suir wouldn't we have had to cross the N25? How long is the Carrick Road roudabout there? Before that did the N25 go the same way? Was there a junction where the Carrick Road roudabout is now?

I also don't recall a small roundabout between Kilmeaden Carrick Road roudabout

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The R680 led to the the N25 to Cork.

The N25 went straight through , towards Ballyduff , at the Roundabout in Kilmeaden, but the 'old' section of road will only bring you towards Ballyduff now, no access to the N25.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

we drove out of waterford towards Cork and then turned off right to go through Kilmeaden I think to Carrick via theR680 I think . Could we have been on the N25 until the turn off? I can't see from map how we would have gone through Kilmeaden then. Bally duff is on the Carrick side of Kilmeaden so why go to Kilmeaden. Is there a pub in Ballyduff?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Did you drive out the N25? or out the R680 ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Did you drive out the N25? or out the R680 ?
    That is what i cannot remember. We came out of waterford and turned right to back road to carrick and passed by a pub after the right turn. Seems all different now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Kilmeaden Inn maybe? Now knocked down and cleared away.

The cosy thatch pub was also out that way but is now also closed

• Advertisement

Kilmeaden Inn maybe? Now knocked down and cleared away.

The cosy thatch pub was also out that way but is now also closed

Cosy Thatch sounds familiar. If driving from Carrick to Waterford was the Cosy Thatch on the left just before junction where you would turn left to Waterford? Was it the N25 or the R680 you would be turning on to? Greenspurs said the R680 led to the the N25 to Cork, so would it have been the N25 back then before the Carrick Road roundabout existed

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Use the OSI Map viewer to have a look back at older maps / aerial photography (Ortho 2005 Layer) and this should show you the previous layout.

maps.osi.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Cosy Thatch sounds familiar. If driving from Carrick to Waterford was the Cosy Thatch on the left just before junction where you would turn left to Waterford? Was it the N25 or the R680 you would be turning on to? Greenspurs said the R680 led to the the N25 to Cork, so would it have been the N25 back then before the Carrick Road roundabout existed

The junction at the Cosy leads to Mount Congreve and if followed would bring you all the way to the back of the Industrial Estate and Cleaboy. The R680 extended all the way to the N25 where the existing roundabout is west of Donnacha's pub in Kilmeaden

The junction at the Cosy leads to Mount Congreve and if followed would bring you all the way to the back of the Industrial Estate and Cleaboy. The R680 extended all the way to the N25 where the existing roundabout is west of Donnacha's pub in Kilmeaden
    Yes i now remember we had to drop someone at the industrial estate. Sorry don't follow about Mount Congreve, would we have been on the N25 or the R680 when turning left after cosy heading for the industrial estate

Thanks for the help everyone

Use the OSI Map viewer to have a look back at older maps / aerial photography (Ortho 2005 Layer)
    i looked at the link but the roundabout is still there /road seems as now in the ortho 2005 layer and even in the ortho 1995 layer view

• Advertisement

Yes i now remember we had to drop someone at the industrial estate. Sorry don't follow about Mount Congreve, would we have been on the N25 or the R680 when turning left after cosy heading for the industrial estate

Thanks for the help everyone

See attached

@ tonc76 Thanks. We turned off the R680 at the Cosy? What is the road we turned on to?

@ tonc76 Thanks. We turned off the R680 at the Cosy? What is the road we turned on to?

Old Kilmeaden Road

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

i looked at the link but the roundabout is still there /road seems as now in the ortho 2005 layer and even in the ortho 1995 layer view

Strange ! did you have overlay on and set to a high value ?

See the attached screenshot I have marked the location in red.

@Jambo. i had an overlay of the road, is that right? The road layout has the roundabout. How long is the carrick rd roundabout there

Advertisement