Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless (duplex) intercom system - Advise sought

Options
  • 26-06-2017 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    We're after a very basic wireless (duplex) waterproof intercom system, ideally battery operated.

Budget is tight (talking €500 for a quality system)

On the one end, just a simple unit where the person presses a button to talk to the person indoors (not a push to talk, duplex preferred). The person indoors can either have a handset / headset (not important).

Main thing is:
    Range 400 - 500m (is this possible)
    Budget €500
    Waterproof station for the caller
    Single button call
    Battery powered (they dont mind changing the batteries every few months.... power to the place is not an option, nor is wires)

Hope this is the right forum, appears appropriate!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I don't know of any battery operated intercom system, I am not sure if batteries are up to that sort of consumption.
    Have you considered a GSM intercom that will call mobile/ landlines directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

kub wrote: »
    I don't know of any battery operated intercom system, I am not sure if batteries are up to that sort of consumption.
    Have you considered a GSM intercom that will call mobile/ landlines directly?

There are battery operated devices available just not sure at that distance.

Can you recommend any gsm devices?

Google AES Northern Ireland, they have a great range of Intercoms

I found this which looks ideal: https://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/600-metre-wireless-intercoms-c244

My worries are:
    1) 'Weatherproof' - is it likely to get water ingress?
    2) Battery operated - 4 x C batteries claiming 10,000 hours stand-by
    3) Range - Claims 600m LOS... wonder how true is this? I could get LOS no problem as you can add an external antenna.

I just had a look at your link and I cannot see it working in the long run.
    Any cheap electronic product especially intercom do not last long in our climate

I find that the low budget gear has design issues and one thing that is never considered is that rain in Ireland falls sideways, as in when there is high winds.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    I just had a look at your link and I cannot see it working in the long run.
    Any cheap electronic product especially intercom do not last long in our climate

I find that the low budget gear has design issues and one thing that is never considered is that rain in Ireland falls sideways, as in when there is high winds.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I think i'll tell them that at their budget, they're out of luck... will only cause me headache in the long run.

That said, they haven't told me if it's completely out-doors or in a shelter (it could be)

Advertisement