Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way to recover emails deleted in Eir webmail?

Options
  • 26-06-2017 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

That's it really!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi Fogmatic,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately, if they have been deleted from your deleted items we would be unable to recover these messages.

I'm very sorry I can't offer you better news with this.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thanks Anna.
    My finger must have touched Delete All when I was viewing my mail via a 3rd party service (mail2web), which doesn't have a Deleted Items folder.  When I went to Eir webmail directly, its Deleted Items folder was empty.  So I guess mail2web must do some kind of double deletion?

Unfortunately, we would have no way of recovering the deleted emails once they have been permanently removed.

I do apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.

Thanks,
    Anna

I understand!  (It’s  my, er, slim screen that’s to blame).

I was just curious about the behaviour of mail2web, because after just one button press there, both inbox and Trash at Eir’s server were empty (and questions to mail2web got no response, and their links to Help, forum etc seem to be dead).

The reason I’ve been using webmail for a while is that my computer’s out of action and I don’t want to download mail to my phone.  Whatever’s up with mail2web, I’m now using myemail.com instead, which works properly and faster, and does have a Trash folder.  (When I delete an email there, it appears in its Trash folder, but not in Eir’s; I still haven’t figured out the ins and outs of it!).

I find it easier than using the Eir webmail site directly, in my phone, anyway.  (I was impressed by Eir’s spam filtering though.  On going back there recently and looking in the Junk folder, the list of spam since my deletion event was spot-on)

I got off quite lightly (I’m not running a business, lost less than a year’s emails, and had printed out most of those I wanted to keep).

Unfortunately, this would need to be manually selected in order to clear these folders.

I can completely understand your frustration on this, however, we would be unable to control incidents like this as we would provide the server for the emails to run on.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Advertisement

eir: Anna wrote: »
    Unfortunately, this would need to be manually selected in order to clear these folders.
    Thanks, but what would?  And what folders would need clearing?  (I haven't been having any difficulty in clearing folders out).

I know you run the server the emails are on, and that you can't control this kind of incident.

In order to permanently delete the emails in these folders, they would need to be manually selected.

Thanks,
    Anna

eir: Anna wrote: »
    In order to permanently delete the emails in these folders, they would need to be manually selected.

Thanks,
    Anna
    Which folders?

Sorry Anna - I don't quite understand what you mean?
    I don't know which folders you're talking about exactly, but I've never found it hard to delete emails.

By 'manually', I presume you mean as opposed to being set to delete automically after a certain time/above a storage limit (whether by whatever system, or by the user)?

By manual I mean you would need to select individual emails to delete from various folders and there would not be one button to clear all emails.

I do apologise for any confusion caused.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Advertisement

Ah - I think you mean when we go straight to Eir webmail?  Yes, I noticed we have to select then delete each email in one by one.  Guess it's safer that way (plus Eir webmail has a Deleted folder).  I found mail2web quicker for clearing out a lot of emails in one session, but I learned the hard way that it was easy to make a mistake there!

Thank you for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Ah - I think you mean when we go straight to Eir webmail?  Yes, I noticed we have to select then delete each email in one by one.  Guess it's safer that way (plus Eir webmail has a Deleted folder).  I found mail2web quicker for clearing out a lot of emails in one session, but I learned the hard way that it was easy to make a mistake there!

Thank you for your help.
    Hi Fogmatic,

Your best option would be to delete your emails one by one going forward. It would be your safest option to ensure that you don't delete anything that you need. 

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I take it that since you used a different email client that they wont still be in the trash bin in eir webmail?

Thanks Adam, but I had a lot of mail to clear out (e.g. newsletters I’d just unsubscribed to), and it would have been too time-consuming to cycle through 4 links to delete each email in turn.  And it wouldn’t have prevented my mistake (touching ‘Delete All’, which was adjacent to the button for deleting the selected ones).  I might have marked just a single email for deletion at the time (I can’t remember), but the result would have been the same.  Deleting all the unwanted ones one by one would in fact have increased my chances of error (the more repetitive a task is, the harder I find it to maintain full concentration).

Unfortunately not, Skatedude.  As soon as I saw I had no emails in mail2web, I went straight to eir webmail and found its trash bin empty (as well as its inbox).  I wasn’t able to find out how normal that is - the info and help links on mail2web’s site seem to be broken (Error 404, file or directory not found), and I don’t know how long it’s been like that (it’s the first time I’ve tried them).  It’s not my settings, or because it’s from a phone (it was just the same in a public computer I tried from).  They’ve ignored my communications, and I couldn’t find anything relevant elsewhere on the web that I could understand.

In this case the email client was my browser (if I’m understanding the definitions correctly).

Whatever’s up with mail2web, I”m now using myemail.com instead.  It has a Trash folder, for a start, to which deleted items  go (first thing I did was test it!).  Its pages load in a fraction of the time, its links work for me, and I presume their Help email form isn’t just for show!

Advertisement