Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottles and nutrition on a P3

Options
  • 26-06-2017 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

For anybody who has/had a Cervelo P3, did you a put bottle on the frame?What's the most aero/suitable one out there?

And also did you find any good storage solution for carrying gels?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Not specifically a P3 but I've been looking at getting the FC25 from profile design, they also do the FC35 for longer distance. Havent seen any aero data on it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I know someone who had that bottle/holder that got rid of it. Didn't like it at all. Not sure if that's worth anything!

Not really answering your question about the P3 Zico, but think it's generally better to have the bottles behind you if your worried about aero. In the 2.5 middle distance races I done I went with a normal bottle on the downtube, just meant it was easier to take a bottle if I needed it. I have a bottle between my arms that I can fill on the go, so could take a bottle, when the one between my arms went empty just fill it and then drop the empty bottle at the next aid station.

https://www.evanscycles.com/elite-crono-cx-aero-bottle-kit-includes-fiberglass-cage-and-aero-bottle-EV209600

Have seen that one used a fair bit but it's a small enough bottle and you wouldn't get one from the aid stations into the cage. Might not be an issue for you or what your planning on using the bottle for.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭carbonceiling

I have a P3 and carry gels in "XLAB STEALTH POCKET 500".

sorry I can't post a link, but it's easy to find.

joey100 wrote: »
    I know I have a bottle between my arms that I can fill on the go

What sort of BTA setup do you have or do you just rest a water bottle on the bars?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i have the bottle joey linked to. it's fine for a middle distance where you use it with bta bottle and might only use each once, but it's a one shot deal, once it's empty its useless and you can't replace as it's a proprietary mount . (plus if you throw away the bottle yup can't use the mount at all!)

behind the saddle has worked best, i've used the xlab system and it worked okay, but it can have trouble with some rails, they usually have adapters to make it work with anything, they defintiely do for the cervelos.

the best solution i've tried means using a specific saddle but as i was using the saddle anyway i said i'd try it, and i loved it,
    prologo ucage
    Prologo-Original-U-CAGE-Bicycle-Utility-Bottle-Cage-Hanger-2016-Water-Bottle-Cagemount-Saddle-Bidon-Bracket.jpg

mounting adapter for the prologo tgale, gets the mounts nice and close to the saddle, rock solid, no flex. setup for last 2 im has been xlab bta bottle, pouch for gels and bars on the toptube behind the stem, two cages on the ucage, one with fluid bottle, one with can for tubes/tools. more gels in suit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mossym wrote: »
    i have the bottle joey linked to. it's fine for a middle distance where you use it with bta bottle and might only use each once, but it's a one shot deal, once it's empty its useless and you can't replace as it's a proprietary mount . (plus if you throw away the bottle yup can't use the mount at all!)

behind the saddle has worked best, i've used the xlab system and it worked okay, but it can have trouble with some rails, they usually have adapters to make it work with anything, they defintiely do for the cervelos.

the best solution i've tried means using a specific saddle but as i was using the saddle anyway i said i'd try it, and i loved it,
    prologo ucage
    Prologo-Original-U-CAGE-Bicycle-Utility-Bottle-Cage-Hanger-2016-Water-Bottle-Cagemount-Saddle-Bidon-Bracket.jpg

mounting adapter for the prologo tgale, gets the mounts nice and close to the saddle, rock solid, no flex. setup for last 2 im has been xlab bta bottle, pouch for gels and bars on the toptube behind the stem, two cages on the ucage, one with fluid bottle, one with can for tubes/tools. more gels in suit

Not the most aero of places to mount bars behind the saddle. HED lollipop and between the arms works nicely. Aero, easy access and cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

@68 lost souls, my bike has a mount that you can use between the bars to hold a bottle cage. (speed concept)

I use a normal bottle in it up to Olympic and over I use a bottle top that you can open and fill on the go. Got it on some speedfil bottle I used to use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tunney wrote: »
    Not the most aero of places to mount bars behind the saddle. HED lollipop and between the arms works nicely. Aero, easy access and cooling.

always struck me as daft that on my 56" slice there are no mounting holes on the down tube. i get it on smaller bikes, but plenty of room for one there on the 56, even with a set on the seat tube. something has to go behind the saddle. might risk one bottle for a cooler race, not for a hot one

i'd imagine at this point a bta is a given for anyone doing middle or long distance.

my setup from lanza, the xlab one gets hidden away pretty neatly between the arms. that bit works well. loads of other issues aerodynamically outside that though

145_m-100762996-DIGITAL_HIGHRES-1746_001659-7751645_zpsuykxgb14.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Is this any use to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Not specifically a P3 but I've been looking at getting the FC25 from profile design, they also do the FC35 for longer distance. Havent seen any aero data on it yet though.

I'd avoid the FC35. Splashy and rattles like feck. The only reason I haven't chucked it away is down to mountains of tape. They've released a new mounting bracket but not any reviews I know of that prove its problems are sorted

• Advertisement

I'd avoid the FC35. Splashy and rattles like feck. The only reason I haven't chucked it away is down to mountains of tape. They've released a new mounting bracket but not any reviews I know of that prove its problems are sorted

Thanks was going to purchase it on Wednesday so will re-evaluate. Want a BTA bottle for Hazelwood so need to get something pretty soon. Not sure if I should stress to the versa 500 or if the 200 is enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Thanks was going to purchase it on Wednesday so will re-evaluate. Want a BTA bottle for Hazelwood so need to get something pretty soon. Not sure if I should stress to the versa 500 or if the 200 is enough for me.

This might not suit depending on your location but you're welcome to bring my FC35 for a test drive if you are in the Wicklow/Wexford area anytime soon. It's currently cleaned up and attached using only the recommended attachments so easily swapped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

zico10 wrote: »
    For anybody who has/had a Cervelo P3, did you a put bottle on the frame?What's the most aero/suitable one out there?

And also did you find any good storage solution for carrying gels?

Thanks

Depends on your setup and requirements, but I'd be leaning towards:

Main Hydration:

BTA setup be it standard cage or Profile design refill depending on personal preference.

Backup Hydration

Xlab aero TT bottle on frame - one problem being hard to refill I'd imagine so one and done - may be worthwhile if you use gels in your bottle as main nutrition. http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2013_04_New_Cervelo_P3&num=21

Nutrition/Gels:

Xlab Stealth Pocket http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2013_04_New_Cervelo_P3&num=26

Spares/Repair Kit:

Bottle behind seat or buried under seat depending on what you bring.

Final option - add a hydration bottle behind seat so 2 bottle setup, 1 being spares and 1 being hydration that you can dump and replace on course same as BTA setup.

Probably about as aero as you can get the P3 with carrying enough requirements for Ironman.

http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2013_04_New_Cervelo_P3&num=47

For a 70.3 - I'd prob stick with 1 bottle rear for spares, BTA setup main hydration and replace/refill bottle and the Xlab aero nutrition pocket and frame bottle for backup drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

PS - despite the fact I'm a convert to not using standard bottles on frame as they are technically slower, I wouldn't get too caught up with it over the ironman distance.

Reasoning:

The bike frame is basically what, 15-20% tops of your aero CDA so a bottle there isn't going to make or break your split.
    The P3 is slightly limited in fitting everything aerodynamically so if you prefer to have rear for spares/repairs, and 1 x BTA setup and 1 x Frame setup then I'd go for that and swap bottles/refills at stops.

If it's best return on aero reward you want, you'd be far better off focussing on having the best head tuck possible for the duration as a lower head will return faster splits than a wider bike frame every day of the week.

(Not a comment on your position as I'm not aware how flat you are, just a general comment on aero returns overall).

This might not suit depending on your location but you're welcome to bring my FC35 for a test drive if you are in the Wicklow/Wexford area anytime soon. It's currently cleaned up and attached using only the recommended attachments so easily swapped

Thanks, appreciate the offer. Doubt I will be down that way for a while but if things change I will let you know. Very generous of you to offer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

its an old p3
    and zico i told you let them cut you holes for cable on top tube and for a gel poach . they are an official cervelo dealer and can do so without affecting warranty.
    and if you were to recable you could get the cable run through the poach .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Is this a new acquisition zico? P3 is a nice steed, should serve you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

peter kern wrote: »
    and zico i told you let them cut you holes for cable on top tube and for a gel poach .

As usual, I was only half listening.:)

Thanks for all the replies folks, sorry I haven't replied yet. I've just been very busy the last few days, but thankfully two months of holidays starting now, so that's all behind me.

MojoMaker, I got the bike last March in Slane Cycles in Belfast. I just bought the frame and components. Bars, saddles and wheels I had already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

zico10 wrote: »
    As usual, I was only half listening.:)

Thanks for all the replies folks, sorry I haven't replied yet. I've just been very busy the last few days, but thankfully two months of holidays starting now, so that's all behind me.

MojoMaker, I got the bike last March in Slane Cycles in Belfast. I just bought the frame and components. Bars, saddles and wheels I had already.

Enjoy the 2 months off. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »

Separately, we completed two rider-on runs with different behind-the-saddle hydration setups to quantify impact of an

additional bottle, but neither setup made a measurable difference aerodynamically. We tested the best-practice setup

observed in previous aerodynamic study by Cervelo and Specialized –the bottle was tucked as closely as possible behind

the saddle, affixed diagonally relative to the seat post and tightly secured by zip ties to the saddle rails – which did not

differ in drag relative to control. The riskier setup, tested with the bottle and cage well behind the back of the saddle,

tracked closely to the bike-only margin of error in magnitude.

• Advertisement

Just to add to this now I have purchased a speedfil system from Base2Race. They had the versa 200,500 and the older profile design too.

Factoring weight, cost and function I chose the speedfil and will report back with how I get on. Bit weary as o how to mount it properly to my clip on bars on a trek road bike but will find out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I meant to get back to this. I'm happy with the drink system I already have on the bars. It's just two thin strips of metal that rest on the extensions and on which the bottle cage is mounted. There's no movement or tightening required. It's simple and it works. I switch between a refillable bottle and normal ones. I can't decide which is best, but I think I'll just use a normal bottle from here on out. It will cut out a lot of faffing about in a race.

I have a rear seat bottle mount, but it can make mounting the bike awkward and trying to swing your leg over the bottles when dismounting can be tricky and dangerous if you forget they're there. You're also far more likely to lose bottles from this set up than one on your frame.

What I was really hoping for was to be told there exists a bottle specifically made to be mounted on the frame of a P3. Whether it's designed to be refilled or not, I'm sure it would still be manageable and no more awkward than refilling the bottle on the bars. If not, then I think I'll just go with a normal bottle cage on my down tube and at least I'd have the aero bottle for shorter races.

Peter, thanks for the suggestion about getting holes drilled in the bike for a food pouch. I'll get in touch with the shop and ask them about it.

Advertisement