Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about Wife's Diet

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Was she taking her folic acid before the pregnancy and is she continuing those?

Do you eat meals together? Brekkie and dinner anyway, if she's out at work for lunch. You need to prepare those, preggo people can be way too nauseous to cook. I couldn't manage it, survived mainly on crackers, apples and olives. Why is she eating in the car at all? Is no-one making her food for her?

Bodily autonomy is the first thing you lose with a pregnancy and you also feel nauseous and crappy during those first 12 weeks. It's very hard to hear someone, (especially a non-pregnant man who got you into this in the first place), giving "advice" without getting very resentful. Also, you're setting up a weird dynamic here, were she is getting away with eating what she likes out of your sight, rather than a partnership.

I know I craved salty carbs in the first trimester, it felt like they were the only thing that would settle my stomach. If someone offered me a big sugary smoothie I would have retched at the thought of it. A nice toasted sandwich with some salad though, that I could manage alright (as long as I didn't have to touch it or be involved in making it).

The allergens thing sounds like a red herring, as the others have said, that tends to be gobbledegook, and with a rash, it sounds very mild anyway. Unless she is going into anaphylactic shock, forget about it. Plus, the current best practice AFAIK with pregnancy is exposure, so eating loads of them during pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

AnneFrank wrote: »
    No matter what you say, you'll be wrong, forget about having a voice or say till your child(best of luck and congrats by the way) is about 3.welcome to a dad's world. I've been there, trust me, best thing you can do is keep schtum

Well that's complete crap for starters. Parenting is a partnership. I've been there - trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

pwurple wrote: »
    The allergens thing sounds like a red herring, as the others have said, that tends to be gobbledegook, and with a rash, it sounds very mild anyway. Unless she is going into anaphylactic shock, forget about it. Plus, the current best practice AFAIK with pregnancy is exposure, so eating loads of them during pregnancy.

Even apart from contradicting the OP's doctor that is terrible advice - allergies can manifest in many ways. This borders on medical advice which goes against the rules of boards.ie. Please restrict yourself to non-medical advice comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Given up on this thread, people suffer from allergies not because of snapchat bloggers, while its a rash its also other things that happen which i wont go into but use your head what happens if you have an upset stomach, yes she still eats these food because she enjoys them.

thanks for those who gave suggestions, we had a chat last night about it and we are going to work together on a diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

OP, I'm guessing she hasn't had her booking appointment with the hospital yet but when I went I got a booklet on healthy eating during pregnancy that will hopefully help as well. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Just to say - pregnancy will put the body into a state of immunosuppression so allergic reactions tend to be dampened down somewhat. Just follow the recommended pregnancy diet, avoid unpasteurised dairy, rare meats, don't eat liver, wash all salads well before eating. Take your folic acid but also try to eat a balanced, healthy diet with plenty of iron and green veg. Take your iron, if prescribed, with a glass on orange juice to increase iron absorption. I'd avoid junk foods as they have a high fat and sugar content. Gestational diabetes can cause major problems for mum and baby as the pregnancy advances. I'm a midwife, these are the recommendations we give to all women.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Great news OP,,, Glad ye were able to talk about it and fingers crossed twill all work out for the better.. Thats what I was kinda getting at with the allergies that as such they might be just an intolerance to certain foods.. When you mention the belly thing I was like yep.. took me ages to figure out that certain ways food is cooked just does not suit me, cheese is one thing and cheap mince meat tummy just does not like it and it isnt worth it... Best of luck anywho

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OP check if your GP has a dietician. My GP does and she was a great help with food tips on my first time around - I wad sick as a dog in the early months and the only thing that could stay down was salty food. I mentioned it to the GP and he asked the dietician to meet me and set me up with some healthy choices that wouldn't make me puke :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

Not sure if helpful but I used to eat loads of rubbish in general for lunch and tea - no breakfast normally. MY OH one day just started making lunch for me to take to work full of sugar snap peas, fruit, and a reasonably healthy sandwich or microwavable shepherds pie/lasagna/chile con carne. Before I knew it I was eating a much more healthy diet. As I was fuller from snacking on fruit, I ate junk food for tea less and OH would have evening meal started on the stove before I got home so I couldn't order that sneaky pizza.

Basically, it may take work on your part but my OH started doing this for me and before I knew what was going on I was eating the right foods more often that not.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

As others have said she may go off it. I eat healthily 90% of the time and I have gone off all the foods I normally eat. I also cook all my own meals and do not want to cook one single thing right now so cooking for her would be ideal. Glad ye talked, that will help :)

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Lumina wrote: »
    Not sure if helpful but I used to eat loads of rubbish in general for lunch and tea - no breakfast normally. MY OH one day just started making lunch for me to take to work full of sugar snap peas, fruit, and a reasonably healthy sandwich or microwavable shepherds pie/lasagna/chile con carne. Before I knew it I was eating a much more healthy diet. As I was fuller from snacking on fruit, I ate junk food for tea less and OH would have evening meal started on the stove before I got home so I couldn't order that sneaky pizza.

Basically, it may take work on your part but my OH started doing this for me and before I knew what was going on I was eating the right foods more often that not.

That love so it is :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Lumina wrote: »

That's one of the sweetest things I've read on boards. What a lovely husband and dad!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

Sorry not sure if this was mentioned but ask her to take a pregnancy multi vitiam everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

BlndbabyThank you for this I am so annoyed by the misinformation about gestational diabetes! I find some people's attitudes to it very offensive! Myself and my sister both suffered ( I am suffering from it). We are both a normal healthy weight and have good healthy diets. My sister in particular is a fitness and health food fanatic and it didn't stop her from getting it or having to have it medicated despite the fact she was 8 stone! Obviously there are different risk factors and increased BMI is one of them. But having a high BMI or eating sugar doesn't mean that a person will automatically become insulin insensitive. Or that it is someones fault if they have a high BMI and develop gestational diabetes, it is not black and white!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My pregnancy nausea worked in such a way anything fatty or rich made me very unwell, from about 7 weeks up to 17 weeks, and returning again from 30 weeks on.I do like my coffee, just once a day, but ugh.....I always had to stop at about 8 weeks, it left me feeling awful for hours afterwards.Maybe that might start with her too.....
    Setting aside the pregnancy OP,there's a longer term issue here.She may not be visibly overweight but there's a strong chance that there is a lot of fat around her organs internally which is so dangerous.Plus...she will be responsible for starting the baby on solids and giving it a healthy food start in life.Processed foods, salt etc are out of the question for babies.Their bodies are not able to handle that food.I would recommend you buy a book called 'feed your child well' as the pregnancy goes on.Maybe buy it quietly yourself.It's written by three temple st dieticians and it outlines foods amd mamaging food for kids from pregnancy through to ten years old.It's very good, full of facts, deals with all common allergies and intolerances....and it sounds like your wife might need some help in learning about these things. When the baby is in utero things can be brushed off, but when it's sitting in front of you and you are chosing between giving it fruit or bits of pizza, it's a whole other story.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

if she's that defensive about food and continues to eat junk food a lot, there is something else at play. she's not making good choices. there is a reason why she is doing what she is doing, and i wonder if at some point you could find out why she is very defensive and not interested in taking on board her allergies. some people will eat stuff they know is not good for them and thats that. but the deeper questions are if she is not eating them at home, in front of you citing reasons, and then eating it elsewhere. therein lies the problem. and if you call her on it, it'll esculate

i would not be unduly worried about the baby. until you get the above sorted out, she will be miserable.

Advertisement