Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physical Education teacher in Ireland

Options
  • 26-06-2017 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I just want to inquire about how to become a teacher in Ireland, after being approved by the Teaching council!
    I'm taking care of all the paperwork for Teaching council (since I have a foreign qualification). After that, and hopefully being approve, what do I need to do?

Do I need to register myself with any Teachers association? If so, what are the options and advantages/disadvantages?

Although, I'm a full qualified teacher, I'm from a different teaching system (Portugal) and therefore, the assessments and the grades are (maybe) different. Can someone give me an idea/link/explanation how this 2 things are done in Ireland?

Thanks, in advance, for all your answers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Have you a second subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jvidrago

Hi ''TheDriver'', thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I don't. Like I said, for me it's something that doesn't make any sense, since our reality in Portugal is completely different. Just PE teachers are allowed to deliver PE classes, therefore, we don't need another subject. But that's one of the questions I will put to the Teaching council when i meet when them this week (if Anatomy, biology and so many other subjects that I had in college can be consider as a subject and therefore assessed, in order to allow me to teach more than PE, but to be honest, i doubt.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'd say you'd have to do extra courses if you were to get recognised for Biology. In Ireland we ususally teach two subjects, which makes it difficult for teachers from other countries to work here. You might get lucky, maybe a big school would need someone to teach only PE, but really, if a principal were hiring someone they'd want someone with two subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jvidrago

This is just unbelievable. Usually, with 2 subjects are the language teachers! Anyway, thanks.

Advertisement