Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Vega

Options
  • 26-06-2017 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭

couldn't find a dedicated thread for this so started one

first initial testing allowed to PCWorld who say it looks like it will be closer to a 1080ti

no proper gaming scores released yet though

RX Vega will be launched on July 30th at SIGGRAPH

https://videocardz.com/70480/amd-radeon-vega-frontier-edition-preview

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Ouch to 300W on air or 375W liquid cooled, doesn't look favourable in that regard compared to 250W for 1080ti, Titan X and Titan XP. Still early days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It has 16GB of HBM2 though. After market 1080ti's with 8gb of memory use over 300W as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm bursting to buy a 1080Ti for 4K but for the sake of a month I feel I'd be dumb not to wait it out.

Frontier cards are available to buy so it will be interesting to see real world gaming benchmarks shortly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I may get one these when they are released. Maybe the watercooled one but it all depends on the price

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm bursting to buy a 1080Ti for 4K but for the sake of a month I feel I'd be dumb not to wait it out.

Frontier cards are available to buy so it will be interesting to see real world gaming benchmarks shortly enough.

Plus the fact that the mining craze has started to hit the 1070/1080's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Apparently it's got a gaming mode in the software if that's the case I'm spending my money!

Apparently it's got a gaming mode in the software if that's the case I'm spending my money!

I wouldn't waste your money. Estimates have it between the 1080 and the TI. Not bad, but gaming wise its getting crushed by the XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I wouldn't waste your money. Estimates have it between the 1080 and the TI. Not bad, but gaming wise its getting crushed by the XP.

well, I'd guess most cards are getting crushed by the Titan.

Something between 1080 and TI is more than adequate for most mainstream gamers however - all depends on the bang for buck though. Any rumours on the expected price?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

problem is if its in between 1080 and TI its too little too late imo, back a few months ago i sold my 1080 and was waiting to see how good vega would be, but lack of news, or specs made me just buy a 1080ti, id assume a lot of people have done the same. The 1080 is a year old at this stage, not really a bar to be aiming for for a new performance gpu

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If they can launch for €450-500 it'll still be competitive.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

i suppose but whats stopping nvidia dropping the 1080ti to 500-600 and the 1080 to around 400, or they could fast track the 1180.

Im personally hoping they bring a card a good bit more powerful than the TI to make nvidia cop on a bit with their pricing and make the enthusiast gpu scene competitive again.

This the Vega FE that launched(workstation card), selling for 1200 sterling for the air cooled and 1600 Sterling for the water cooled. It pulls a huge amount of energy and seems to be between the 1080 and the TI. Not looking good for the gamin edition tbh.

300w for a top tier card is not a huge amount of energy. I'd expect any top tier card to draw at least 250-300w or else they aren't pushing the architecture at all. That's not even factoring in that it has double the amount of memory of a 1080ti which also uses over 300w. Memory uses a decent amount of power too. It's actually more power efficient that Nvidias cards.

Let's hope AMD offer killer price/performance on these like they did with Ryzen but I somehow doubt it. This architecture is not that cheap to manufacture and it's been delayed far too long to have the impact it would have had if they got it out of the gates 6 months sooner.

BloodBath wrote: »
    and it's been delayed far too long to have the impact it would have had if they got it out of the gates 6 months sooner.

I agree these Vega cards are at least 6 months late. Nvidia will just bring out an even better card if Vega proves to be really competitive.

I think there's a bit of an unfair expectation of AMD to bring out a card that's the single best GPU on the market. They haven't really done this in nearly a decade although the 7970 was arguably better in the long run than the 680.

Since the Titan and the xx80ti's came along they haven't really been able to compete.

If they can land somewhere between the 1080 and 1080ti performance for around the price of a 1080 they are on to a winner. There will be the usual flip flop in games that prefer 1 architecture over the other as well.

AMD's real key to success is working with game developers to optimise their games for their architecture. Getting Vega's (And Ryzen) inside developer workstations instead of Nvidia cards is a big step towards that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What proportion of their profits are high-end cards?

There might be some dick-swinging that goes on with the best card and maybe that translates to one brand being seen as having a higher cachet but I'd imagine most people are buying GTX xx60s or R9 x70s at most (and they can run the majority of games on normal HD screens anyway).

It'd be interesting to see the market share broken down by data which indicates who's making decisions about which card to buy and why they made it.
    I wonder is the gulf mostly down to partnerships with crowds like PCWorld, Walmart or whoever who sell "gaming PCs" or does high-end self-build actually have much of an impact?

For the enthusiasts, there's always Freesync to consider as well.
    That'll feature into performance/$ and unless you have such a monitor, you're probably wasting your money on a $500+ card.

High end stuff is usually the biggest market share in terms of profit these days for GPU's. There's much higher profit margins up there when there's a lot of people who want the best and are willing to pay through the nose for it.

These are the same kinds of people who usually regularly upgrade to the next best thing when it comes along. There's plenty of you on this forum :D Proper Enthusiasts pump money into this market.

i just dont see many enthusiasts buying vega, its too late we have all bought TI's :D imo any card that comes out months later than their competition should really push the envelope in terms of raw power, particularly with a gpu aimed at enthusiasts. I personally care about how much faster a card is than my current card and if it has adequate cooling, thats pretty much it.

That's a good point but AMD will do well to just compete in all market segments atm. They have been in the red for a long time with not much revenue.

Ryzen and Vega should be good stepping stones for them to regain decent market share and potentially get back on top at 7nm.

It's not looking like either will knock intel or nvidia off their podium but they should definitely make a good dent. Especially in the workstation and server markets. This mining craze has turned Polaris into gold as well.

BloodBath wrote: »

It's not looking like either will knock intel or nvidia off their podium but they should definitely make a good dent. Especially in the workstation and server markets. This mining craze has turned Polaris into gold as well.

I read an article recently about the last mining craze and how everyone favored AMD cards as well and AMD did not make any money from that it was the venders that made the money Gigabyte etc.... AMD was still selling cards to them at the set price and they highered their prices at retail and made all the profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Graphics Score 22,916

1080 is around 22,000, 1080ti is around 28,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks like the RX Vega will be around GTX1080 levels which is fine from a performance POV, it all just depends on pricing.

Though with all this mining crap going on depending on how long it lasts the card could be released, snapped up instantly and at over inflated prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any word as to TSMCs capability to scale up to meet the miners? It could be a huge cash flow for AMD to help bring them further back on track which would be great for the market long term (though may screw us gamers in the short term).

That's the FE edition though. Raja said the gaming version would be faster for gaming. The RX Vega will be clocked higher. After market versions should be clocked way higher.

It still doesn't look like it's going to beat the 1080ti though. It seems between a 1080 and 1080ti is where it will end up. AMD are going to have to price the RX Vega at around €500-600 to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

A 1080 Ti outscored a Titan X? :confused:

Inviere wrote: »
    A 1080 Ti outscored a Titan X? :confused:

Yes that sounds about right. I don't think it would beat a Titan Xp though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yes that sounds about right. I don't think it would beat a Titan Xp though.

Doh! My bad :o

• Advertisement

titan Xp and titan XP jeeeez know the difference its so obvious :D

Advertisement