Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Vega

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RX Vega Nano now official

Single fan, single 8x PCI-e Power connector (so <200W?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I think we're looking at this all wrong frankly.

Firstly, these will sell to miners, no problem and I feel AMD have rushed the launch knowing that. Secondly I think the Vega56 could be the killer here competing against the 1070. I'd be very interested to know what the market is >1070 I'd say the 1080 and 1080ti market is pretty small and I'm not convinced Vega64 will sit too much below the 1080 in terms of performance.

Miners won't buy these for the same reason they are not snapping up 1080's and 1080ti's(unless power cost isn't a issue). Too much power draw for the hash rate(for Vega its huge). Polaris is head and shoulders above the rest with some undervolting and tweaking, and has been the reason the AMD cards have been out of stock for nearly a year now. The only reason Nvidia cards were looked at was due to the cost increases from scarcity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Cards to be on sale and in stock on the 14th August.
    Hopefully there will be some announcements from the AIB partners next week on when they will have some ready.
    Kinda hoping they can pull the coolers from the 480/580 line and use those. Alot of potential extra heat to take care of from the extra TDP but it will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Why is it that the after market cooler options tend to be better than reference designs?

Why don't Nvidia and AMD just make better coolers?
    If they spend millions and millions develpoing the rest of the thing, why do they need to leave it to MSI, ASUS and the likes to make the best versions of their cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

When will these actually be in the shops?

• Advertisement

14th Aug from what i have read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Gbear wrote: »
    Why is it that the after market cooler options tend to be better than reference designs?

If they spend millions and millions develpoing the rest of the thing, why do they need to leave it to MSI, ASUS and the likes to make the best versions of their cards?

It's the way it is. Folks around here leave 'em be, you will be wise to do the same if you want to stay out of trouble.

I joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It differentiates the market and means that you can get the car you want. Many buy reference for watercooling, others buy a AIO watercooled cards. AMD have offered a watercooled card twice now, really it doesn't get much better than that.

If there was just one design, there'd be very little competition and higher prices I expect.

It differentiates the market and means that you can get the car you want. Many buy reference for watercooling, others buy a AIO watercooled cards. AMD have offered a watercooled card twice now, really it doesn't get much better than that.

If there was just one design, there'd be very little competition and higher prices I expect.

But that doesn't sound like it's in AMD's interest.

They could make a range of different cooling options of varying levels of sophistication and at different price levels.

However talented other companies are at cooling cards, they're surely not going to be as familiar with the card as AMD's own staff.

Why hand it off to 3rd parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

But that doesn't sound like it's in AMD's interest.

They could make a range of different cooling options of varying levels of sophistication and at different price levels.

However talented other companies are at cooling cards, they're surely not going to be as familiar with the card as AMD's own staff.

Why hand it off to 3rd parties?

Because then AMD just deal with one component. GPUs. No warranty BS, no complaints, no retailers, no RGB messing.

With the current setup the big two build the most profitable bit and let the AIBs deal with the nitty gritty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I always thought of it as AMD/nVidia selling the technology, AIBs sell the cards. Probably not totally accurate though.

ED E wrote: »
    Because then AMD just deal with one component. GPUs. No warranty BS, no complaints, no retailers, no RGB messing.

With the current setup the big two build the most profitable bit and let the AIBs deal with the nitty gritty.

Well they must still get a bit of it because they produce and handle the reference designs, no?

I always thought of it as AMD/nVidia selling the technology, AIBs sell the cards. Probably not totally accurate though.

Its a good analogy.

Its probably down to the fact that if AMD/Nvidea sold all their own units, they would have to hold more of stock and overheads would rise.
    Also, folks like a choice, some will swear by one brand over another, a MSI 580 might be seen as more desirable than a XFX one and folks will pay a bit more for it.
    Gives the illusion of choice :)

Well they must still get a bit of it because they produce and handle the reference designs, no?

But the reference is just that, a reference - many people use the reference, or stock cooler on a CPU and may don't. Believe it or not the Surface Pro was meant to be a reference product, ended up that the reference turned out to be very good and now the windows tablet market is pretty stagnant competition-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nope.

One of the AIBs does the reference fab, AMD/NVID just spec it out for them. So your "reference" 290X could be produced by Sapphire along with their units they brand as their own.

Interesting take on Vega from Jim at Adored here, https://youtu.be/d7VH2DprHMk

the vega 56 might be the one to watch from this bunch.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Interesting take on Vega from Jim at Adored here, https://youtu.be/d7VH2DprHMk

the vega 56 might be the one to watch from this bunch.

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Radeon RX Vega 56 benchmark results :
    Battlefield 1: 95.4FPS (GTX 1070: 72.2FPS)
    Civilization 6: 85.1FPS (GTX 1070: 72.2FPS)
    DOOM: 101.2FPS (GTX 1070: 84.6FPS)
    COD:IW: 99.9FPS (GTX 1070: 92.1FPS)

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/58635/amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-leaked-benchmarks-gtx-1070-killer/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

If I was in AMD I'd be targetting miners - the home brew lads will pay way over the odds!!!

I wonder if they should even start up a little ASIC division!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Gonna have to get on board early before the miners get wind of those. Great price for a card close to a 1080 in performance if those benchmarks are accurate.

This surely dispels the top end version being worse than a 1080. I think they have comfortable 1070 and 1080 killers there but they fell short of the mark to beat the 1080ti. Still great prices for those that didn't take the plunge on a 1070/1080 and way cheaper with a FreeSync monitor combo.

I can see both card's ending up at least €100-150 over that price within a month though.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Gonna have to get on board early before the miners get wind of those. Great price for a card close to a 1080 in performance if those benchmarks are accurate.

This surely dispels the top end version being worse than a 1080. I think they have comfortable 1070 and 1080 killers there but they fell short of the mark to beat the 1080ti. Still great prices for those that didn't take the plunge on a 1070/1080 and way cheaper with a FreeSync monitor combo.

I can see both card's ending up at least €100-150 over that price within a month though.

The 64 version is just too damn hot :pac:. The watercooled version is meant to just edge out the 1080 but to use another meme, aint nobody got time for that.

Oh Aircooled trades blows and is thought it will eventually be the better card for DX12.

Skerries wrote: »

Called it on the miners :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Skerries wrote: »

Its funny that they didn't quote his (Gibbo) reply when asked "where did you get that figure?"
    His reply was "Guy internally from one of the AIB's, maybe he is smoking the BS pipe."

Great marketing from him,says on one hand he wants the gamers to get the stock but on the other he makes vega out to be a great mining card.:mad:

FFs its not going to be fun trying to get a vega on release day.
    :(

game4it70 wrote: »
    Its funny that they didn't quote his (Gibbo) reply when asked "where did you get that figure?"
    His reply was "Guy internally from one of the AIB's, maybe he is smoking the BS pipe."

Great marketing from him,says on one hand he wants the gamers to get the stock but on the other he makes vega out to be a great mining card.:mad:

FFs its not going to be fun trying to get a vega on release day.
    :(

Would you want a FE card though unless you are planning on water cooling it? Unless the AIB cards are available then too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

BloodBath wrote: »

That was my first thought - independent benchmarks put the 56 at basically GTX1080 levels, but AMD's own press release has the highest end 64 falling a little short of the 1080 in cherry picked games? :confused:

For that reason I would take these rumored benchmarks with a pinch of salt for now, because if they were true AMD would have been screaming from the rooftops instead of skulking around Vega.

Biggest problem is gonna be pricing and stock levels. Like you say I could see the cards being difficult to source and ending up being very expensive, same as the GTX1070 was on launch as well. A $399 card that ended up closer to €500.

Because GTX1080 prices are still decent (OCUK have them for about €520 delivered for example), an inflated Vega would make them pretty unattractive for gamers.

We really need a strong new GPU in the €300-349 bracket. GPU advancement in the last 3/4 years has been absolutely terrible in the mid-range.

If you bought an R9 290 for €350 in 2013, to get any sort of meaningful upgrade today almost 4 years later, you have no real choice but to go for a €450 GTX1070.

That would never have happened before. The same scenario going from 2009-2013 would have seen a jump from a GTX280 or HD5870 class card to a GTX970/R9 290!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Would you want a FE card though unless you are planning on water cooling it? Unless the AIB cards are available then too?
    I'm looking to get a reference card and yes i will be watercooling it.
    Leaning towards the vega 56 as I'm not fussed about having top end,I just want good bang for buck.

Because GTX1080 prices are still decent (OCUK have them for about €520 delivered for example), an inflated Vega would make them pretty unattractive for gamers.

Thats the FE edition they have listed at 469stg?

game4it70 wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a reference card and yes i will be watercooling it.
    Leaning towards the vega 56 as I'm not fussed about having top end,I just want good bang for buck.

Nice one, have never thought about watercooling myself, fear of leaks and bang dead electronics.

• Advertisement

What kind of PSU would you need for the full fat Vega?

I've a Seasonic Bronze 850W. It'd presumably be grand for the 56 but how about that 450w monster at the high end?

Advertisement